Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it worth upgrading to Silvia frm Gaggia Coffee?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it worth upgrading to Silvia frm Gaggia Coffee?

Howdy folks,

Im thinking of upgrading to a Rancilio Silvia from a Gaggia Coffee Deluxe. Is it worthwhile doing?. Is there a noticeable gain in the quality and taste of the espresso Ill get from the Silvia compared to my Gaggia?

My Gaggia Coffee Deluxe has a PID and Ive also adjusted the brew pressure to the optimum 9 bar by installing the pressure valve from a Gaggia Classic. Im able to pull some excellent shots with consistency except for lately. Its started developing leaks from the shower screen. Looks like the shower holding plate that holds the shower screen its starting to corrode. I found out when I pulled it apart and checked. The little rubber stop (group valve assembly) that opens when you brew is slightly worn and is contributing to the leaks as well. The leaks get worse when I steam - as the pressue builds, it drips more and then I loose steam pressure quite a bit.

Ive had the Gaggia for 16 months now and its been a great machine. Now that its having some leaks, and other things that I dont like about it, Ive been looking at upgrading.

I currently use an Iberital Challenge grinder which pairs with a Silvia quite well.

The other good thing is that I can reusue the PID on the Silvia. The place in the US I bought it from has offered to reset it it to the Silvias parameters free of charge if I send it back. Excellent service.

Ive always liked the Silvia, and thought it to be my next machine Id always upgrade to. The big question is, how much better will the espresso from it taste compared to my Gaggia, all other things being equal? What other benefits does it offer to the home barista?

Looking forward to your replies?

Cheers
    Javabeen.

Re: Is it worth upgrading to Silvia frm Gaggia Cof

Hi Javabeen,

Until I got to the middle of your second paragraph I would have said no - if it was giving you good results then why change for the sake of it? Unfortunately as you then went on to say, corrosion is one of the main problems in the Gaggias (except for Lucindas Classic which must be made of platinum! nah realistically I think it depends on how its used and maintained and the water quality).

As to the question of the espresso quality... theoretically it should be better, but the biggest factor of temperature control has been minimised by your PID, though not completely eliminated - the Silvia has a 300ml boiler whereas the Gaggias is 120ml, so youve got a much bigger heat battery to hold the temperature up throughout the shot than in the Gaggia. After that itll come down to how well the rest of the machine performs in areas like the water distribution (Silvias is good, cant comment on the Gaggia). Steam should be better on the Silvia (having not seen a Gaggia again I cant say for sure, but bigger boiler = more steam).

So yes, it would definitely be worth upgrading IMHO. The Silvias design should be more thermally stable which will maximise the benefit of the PID and thus give espresso at least as good as the Coffee. Another Coffee / Classic will in your circumstances more than likely not survive much longer than 16 months and be worth nothing to resell so youre losing 100% of your purchase price every 16 months, whereas the Silvias brass components firstly mean itll go forever, and if you do decide to upgrade it will therefore be in a very saleable condition and thus hold its value a lot better.

Good luck!

Greg

Comment

I did a lot of research on this a little while ago, with all the reading etc I came to the conclusion that getting a sylvia is more a sideways step more than an upgrade. Depending on your budget, have you considered really upgrading to a HX machine or anything?

Comment

Javabeen,

Personally, I think its a small step up going to the Silvia PIDd, considering the mods youve done to it. Id be thinking, like Lucinda, and heading down the HX line.

Greg, thats a good one about Lucindas boiler being platinum, but I have to personally vouch for the Classics boiler. I mean mine is/was pushing 30years old, and since doing a light dust off of the boilers inners, the internals are perfect since I last checked - I think its a matter of doing the right maintenance on it regularly. Im sure Lucinda (obviously ) treats her Gaggia, like one of her own daughters.

I had a bad case of updrage-itis that I had to deal with and ended up getting a Minore II after having my orange sucka <-----, which has now been relegated/retired to the mantle piece. Im sure Ill fire her up again though.

I would definitely be thinking about stretching the budget and investing in something up a few more steps than just one.

my 2c.

Comment

Absolutely guys; if a HX is an option financially or circumstances warrant it then certainly look at those options. But Javabeens post indicates hes only looking at changing because the Gaggia is breaking down, not because hes unhappy with its results or needs the extra flexibility of a HX; in which case a sideways step is all thats needed not an upgrade, but preferably a step into something that wont encounter the same problems - a bill the Silvia fits quite nicely. Of course if he decides to take the opportunity of changing machines to upgrade then so much the better, but the post doesnt indicate thats necessary. Javabeen perhaps you can confirm the direction in which youre thinking?

Greg

Comment

Yeah I agree Greg! Good call.

Comment

Having owned the very machine in question, Id say the Silvias build quality alone is a good reason, and the extra Steam on tap would be a bonus!!.

The Classic and the Deluxe I cant put in the same class. The Classic is a better machine build wise. In fact, I really like the Classic! Also, the Classic has the 3way Valve, the Deluxe does not.

Comment

Wow, thanks for all the responses. From one cser to another, I really appreciate it.

Greg,
                Youve hit the nail on the head. My direction is the Silvia because it fits my budget  - no more than $800. Unless there are other machines - no more than this! - that fit the bill. I bought the Coffee for $200, and a little over $80 on the mods not including the PID,since I can reuse it on the Silvia.

Im a fan of the Silvia, I like its build quality and the feedback Ive read from other threads here. I haven not considered other machines as I dont know of any less than $800 that fit the bill. This is a huge spend for me and I consider myselft very fortunate to be able to spend this sort of money on my passion, however no more than this can be spent.

Cheers
                Javabeen.

Comment

Hi JavaBean

I had Gaggia classic with a delonghi grinder and then upgraded to Silvia and Rocky - have never regretted the change. I had a big improvement, although, rocky may have had a lot to do with that. Steaming is MUCH better with silvia. Ive recently gone the next step (tiny) and PIDd silvia, which has also improved both shots and steaming

cheers

argon

Comment

Ive got a Gaggia Coffee and a Baby (3 way valve) and IMO the Baby pulls a better shot then the Coffee, dont know why but coffee tastes better on the Baby ( I have two of them and they both out-do the Coffee).

Comment

Well, I think the decision is pretty simple Javabeen! Silvia it is! If thats your budget, then IMO theres no other option!

YZa

Comment

Maxrob200

I hear what your saying about the Baby, but I reckon my Coffee performs like the Classic now with the mods Ive done. The only thing it doesnt have is the 3 way solenoid and this only kicks in when you switch the brew button off. So it wouldnt make any difference to the taste.

I dont think I want another Gaggia after experiencing the leaks from the one I had. Especially now that I have the budget for a better quality machine.

Cheers
                        Javabeen.

Comment

You might also like to check out the ECM Botticelli 2nd hand in the For Sale thread which is basically a slightly better Silvia. 2nd hand Silvias do come up for sale too from time to time, though if you can outlay $800 then a new one gives you that fresh out of the box feel!

Greg

Comment

I agree with Greg on that one...

Comment

Hi Javabean,

Not wishing to confuse the issue, but did you notice the ECM Botticelli for $550.00 in the FOR SALE thread...I understand the Bot is a great machine, ( Lizzi has one ). The new price of $1,300.00 would make this appear to be a great deal if the machine is in a good order.

I believe ECA Australia still have the parts available, although they are not currently importing the Bot into Australia. Only one or two new unsold Bots still around, I believe.

Just a thought, if you dont want to spend big bikkies.

Trevorbeans

Comment

Working...
                              X