No announcement yet.

Silvia Portafilter - removing spouts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silvia Portafilter - removing spouts...

Hello everyone,

I just bought a Silvia and am trying to remove the double spout from the PF. Ive had the spouts in my vice,
    trying to twist them off by turning the handle anticlockwise), but just cannot get the suckers off . If I pull any
    harder Im sure to crack the plastic handle.

Any idea how best to remove those spouts? According to the parts diag at coffeeparts they should screw
    right off! Rancilio has changed them recently have they?

Thanks,

Marcus.

Re: Silvia Portafilter - removing spouts...

Marcus

STOP STOP trying until you get more information

If the portafiltar is like mine it looks as if the twin spouts will unscrew.  but I am sure it wont.
    It is either sweated in or the line is a cast mark in either case it will only break off.

I suggest you post a photo.

dumiya

Comment

I have the latest model and it unscrewed, with the use of a vice. Dont know if earlier ones are the same or different.

Comment

yes they unscrew
        when fiited they put locktite on the thread to stop it from loosening.
        when looking at the bottom outside of the portafilter / handle the spout unscrews anti clockwise.

sometimes they are real sh...s

Comment

i got mine off by giving it a bit of a hit on the spout in the unscrew direction with a hammer. this loosened it up then it was very easy to unscrew the rest.

Comment

If theres Loctite involved, you might be better off using a small amount of heat on the shaft of the Spout, a heatgun with an air-stream focus attachment or a small butane torch would be plenty... Just need to get it up to about 150C and the bond should break allowing you to unscrew it.

Cheers,
            Mal.

Link to Loctite Applications Guide...... http://www.henkelna.com/us/content_data/LT4680.pdf

Comment

yeah good point Mal. i forgot to mention that i had used the portafilter and kept it locked into the grouphead before i tried my method so it would have been quite hot.

Comment

Thank you all for your help, the hammer did the trick - took a fair few hits even though it was well warmed up!
                Now I can aim into my small shot glasses again, and dont have to see how bad my tamp was when the pour
                comes mainly out of one spout... !

Cheers,

Marcus.

Comment

Originally posted by moey007 link=1201397766/0#6 date=1201475277
                  yeah good point Mal. i forgot to mention that i had used the portafilter and kept it locked into the grouphead before i tried my method so it would have been quite hot.
                  Errr, that wouldnt have been hot enough moey.... you need to use the methods I mentioned above and direct the heat towards the vertical shaft section of the Spout. Ive done it this way for nearly 4 decades and it works every time....

Mal.

Comment

Trying to undo the spout when the PF is hot straight off the machine is probably why it was so tight, the PF could have expanded with the heat and tightened the thread, heating the spout as per Mals suggestion would weaken the loctite and expand the spout loosening the threads grip.

Comment

Ive found that the double spout on my Silvia does an uneven pour, if I do two singles one cup always ends up with more than the other. I dont think its anything to do with my tamp! Ive read its common with Silvia portafilters.

Comment

the uneven pour is usually associated with the coffee not being level in the filter, or the machine or group not being level
                        you wouldnt think rancilio would make bodgy porta filters

Comment

Ive found that the double spout on my Silvia does an uneven pour, if I do two singles one cup always ends up with more than the other. I dont think its anything to do with my tamp! Ive read its common with Silvia portafilters.

Check how level the cross hole has been drilled, I got stuck into mine with a dremel to get an even pour, still requires a bit more dremelling, should have returned the spout but easier to adjust at home. I think it was drilled by the same Rancilio craftsman who cuts the Rocky burr carrier thread. :

Comment

I used to have a similar problem with getting an uneven pour until my wife taught me to tamp better / more level and not put so much force into it. The difference i get between the two sides now is very minimal.

Comment

I used to notice the uneven pour aswell so i changed the spout to another type partly b/c i liked the look of the other one ( open spout) and partly b/c of the pour. now i get beautiful even pours and my tamping technique has not changed.

Comment

Working...
                              X