Need some Vibiemme Domobar Levetta  guidance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some Vibiemme Domobar Levetta  guidance

Hi guys, can owners of this machine please explainm to me what the different lever positions are used for and when then should be in that position?

1) Down position?

2) Middle (horizontal position)

3) Up position (before the pumps starts)

4) Fully up (I know this is used to make the coffee, but when else should I push the lever all the way up)

Thanks. I need to improve my espressos quick smart.

Re: Need some Vibiemme Domobar Levetta  guidance

Originally posted by MarkC77 link=1201572178/0#0 date=1201572177
    Hi guys, can owners of this machine please explainm to me what the different lever positions are used for and when then should be in that position?

1) Down position?

2) Middle (horizontal position)

3) Up position (before the pumps starts)

4) Fully up (I know this is used to make the coffee, but when else should I push the lever all the way up)

Thanks. I need to improve my espressos quick smart.
    Hi Mark- have a read of http://www.home-barista.com/forums/what-makes-it-e61-group-t3728.html and feel free to give me a buzz if I can assist....

regards

Chris

Comment

Hi Mark,

Sounds like youve got yourself a new machine...congrats! Sorry for the late response to your post, but Ive been at the cafe and a late function for the last few hours.

Regarding the lever, I have kept it in the fully down position, which is the inactive or off position, while the machine is switched off, while the element is heating, or while Im utilising the frothing function.

I raise the lever to the fully up position, which is the brew position when I want to 1. clean the group, ie back flush with the blind filter etc., 2. run water through the group, ie cooling flush after steaming milk, 3. run water to heat my cups, or to pull a shot of coffee. After any of these operations I then return the lever to the fully down or off position. I have never utilised or recognised a need to use the middle position, but Ill stand corrected on that one.

There are a number of other operational aspects you may wish to discuss in order to get the best out of your Levetta, so Id be more than happy if you sent me a PM when tyou have any queries.

All the best,

Trevor

Comment

From what I have been reading on the Home Barista web site and from the link Chris posted...you can use the middle position to do/prepare for a LONGER pre-infusion of the puck. This is what Im thinking:
        1) you raise the lever up to run water to heat your cups and then pull the leave all the way down.

2) Get your pf ready with coffee and put the pf back in the group

3) Raise the lever to the middle position and from there, raise the lever <i>slightly<i> but not all the way up - you dont want to activate the switch with the lever to start the pump. The slight raise allows a little of the presssurised water to come out and soak the puck - preinfusion. You only need to lift the lever temporarily, say 1 second and then return it to the middle position.

4) After you have let the puck soak for as long as you like/need, you raise the lever all the way up to pull your shot. When the shots finished, you pull the lever all the way down to dump the excess water from the puck.

5) Always return and leave the lever all the way down after a shot, when the machine is heating or off.

5) If you leave the lever in the middle position, it leaves the thermosyphon circuit open and the heat exchanger that feeds the thermosyphon circuit will eventually boil dry. The thermosyphon circuit is what heats the group head.

As I understand it, preinfusion can be a good thing as it can improve the quality of the extraction by allowing the pressure to build more slowly in the beginning of the pull. This slower build-up gives the puck a chance to expand and thereby reduce the occurrence of fissures that would otherwise lead to channeling.

Im new to the e-61 and the VBM, so if Chris/anyone else can set this straight, please jump on in.

Javabeen.

Comment

Hi Mark,

Congrats on the choice of the Levetta. Itll all come together once you get consistancy in your method.

OT: We might have to get a VBM Domobar Levetta Users Group going here.

b4b.

Comment

Re: Need some Vibiemme Domobar Levetta  guida

you can use the middle position to do/prepare for a LONGER pre-infusion of the puck. This is what Im thinking:
            I believe this is applicable for a plumbed in machine, to use the water line pressure for preinfusion, for a tank machine lever should be either up or down, CSrs please confirm or correct me if I am wrong.

Comment

Re: Need some Vibiemme Domobar Levetta  guida

Originally posted by vicroamer link=1201572178/0#5 date=1201636209
              you can use the middle position to do/prepare for a LONGER pre-infusion of the puck. This is what Im thinking:
              I believe this is applicable for a plumbed in machine, to use the water line pressure for preinfusion, for a tank machine lever should be either up or down, CSrs please confirm or correct me if I am wrong.
              From the little that I could comprehend from that link provided by Chris I tend to agree with the above, ie with a tank the middle position doesnt do anything (although water seems to come out the bottom of the group head stem.

Comment

I have been trying to do the dose/collapse and top up method but always seem to end up with too much grind in the basket (ie I cannot lock the portafilter into the group head. I know this mehod should work because I saw Chris do it. What do the rest of you guys do?

Comment

Originally posted by MarkC77 link=1201572178/0#7 date=1201644437
                  I have been trying to do the dose/collapse and top up method but always seem to end up with too much grind in the basket (ie I cannot lock the portafilter into the group head.  I know this mehod should work because I saw Chris do it.  What do the rest of you guys do?
                  Hi Mark,

It is doable

What I do is palm tap as I dose and bring the dose to a mound and then brush off. Settle with only the mass of your tamper and the refill, brush off and then tamp.

If you benchtap, the dose will be too large. Also, if your grind is too coarse, the dose will also be too large- like trying to collapse rocks v talc...

Hope that helps....

Chris

Comment

MarkC77,

My method is similar to what Chris has described with the exception that once the grounds are mounding up in the basket, rather than settle with the weight of the tamper, I settle the grinds with my middle three fingers, adding a little more coffee as necessary.

I try to do my procedure exactly the same each time, and so far Ive achieved pretty consistent results.

Trevor

Comment

Hi Mark,

FWIW, I find I achieve the most consistant results in a single shot basket by:

Dose to a mound, tap three times on bench, dose to a mound again, tap three times. The pf should now be 4/5ths full. Blow out the remaining grinds in Rocky, with the clickclack lid, this should give you about 105% fill. Then, level off flat without pressing the grinds down and finally finish by scraping off hard with the index finger bent back as far as it will go. This gives a concave surface. Tamp with a convex tamper. As the shower screen is convex, the finished shape fits the screen perfectly..... a little wiggle is all thats needed to lock the pf into the head.... the wiggle presses the little blank-off cover in the center of the screen, into the puck.

I know it looks like a lot of fooling around, but it takes no time at all once you get used to it and it becomes second nature and is Very consistant. I can now tell where my grind is at with this method, to the extent that I can tell with a fair amount of accuracy how long the shot will take just as preinfusion finishes.

If any of you think, or know that Im doing something wrong in this process, Let Me Know!! Id rather be shown to be foolish than to bop along, proving myself to be one!

b4b.

Comment

Originally posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1201572178/0#8 date=1201646111
                        Originally posted by MarkC77 link=1201572178/0#7 date=1201644437
                        I have been trying to do the dose/collapse and top up method but always seem to end up with too much grind in the basket (ie I cannot lock the portafilter into the group head.  I know this mehod should work because I saw Chris do it.  What do the rest of you guys do?
                        Hi Mark,

It is doable

What I do is palm tap as I dose and bring the dose to a mound and then brush off. Settle with only the mass of your tamper and the refill, brush off and then tamp.

If you benchtap, the dose will be too large. Also, if your grind is too coarse, the dose will also be too large- like trying to collapse rocks v talc...

Hope that helps....

Chris
                        Well its no surprise that I do the same thing (because I watched you do it), however I obviously didnt watch closely enough because I missed the second brush off, I just tamp it after the refill. Perhaps this is why I get too much in the basket and it doesnt fit.

Will try again tonight. I havent even tried the steam yet, must get the base right first.

Comment

Umm, where abouts does your pf sit after youve dosed and locked it in? Mines at about 5 oclock.

The pf goes in snuggly...Just wondering about others.

Comment

Javabeen,

Mines at between 7 and 6 on the clock dial.

Im told that, with wear the portafilter handle on my machine may lock in closer to 90 degrees to the front face of the machine. Hope thats clear.

Each machine will probably differ slightly.

Trevor

Comment

Hey TB, are you sure 7/6 oclock? Thats the spot at which my pf goes in/is inserted into the group, and it should be the same for yours!

Javabeen.

Comment

Working...
                              X