Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which 2 head machine to buy?

hello one and all!

Ive been given the green light to buy an espresso machine for our church (with a budget of around $1000) and Im totally unsure what i should be getting.

Im after a 2 head machine.

Is there any brands I should gravitate towards or stay away from? (especially given the age of the machine)

and anything I should watch out for?
    (ps if anyone knows of one being sold in TAS/VIC...)

Re: Which 2 head machine to buy?

1 word... Ebay!

Comment

certainly have been browsing the depths of said site... just wanting some pointers as to which machine.... (cause i got no idea!)

Comment

Hmm, its a hard one, cos basically youve got to get a machine that isnt in too bad a condition. Its hard to know exactly on the bay whether what youre getting is the real deal. As people dont usually provide pics on the inside. My mate recently bought a machine off there and it turned out to be a dog. I guess something to look out for is the history of the machine. i.e. regularly serviced, parts easy acquired, was it used for a cafe or office etc, etc. Im not expert on commercial (Im guessing thats what you want as far as a 2 group machine usually is ) But I guess youve also gotta think about who is going to use it. do they know what theyre doing etc. Oh and does that $1000 include a grinder?

Some other things to think about anyway.

Im working on my churchs parish council at the moment to budget for a machine... I cant say Im getting very far though Ill keep trying; taking my Expobar Minore II in and out isnt an easy thing as it weighs about 27kg.

Comment

I guess another option to the great advice from yeeza, would be to request the aid of a willing coffee professional to inspect the machine(s) youre considering and give you his/her professional opinion. At least you would have the advantage of knowing whether the machine at least works, or it doesnt?

Mal.

Comment

yes, this would be a wise thing to do!! The tricky thing is that if the machine is in Vic, I have to come over and get it (its a hard life... might buy a car while im over there...) and so i somehow kinda want to make sure its tip top before i get there cause i dont want to return without a machine!!

A tad tricky if it happens that way - would be great to find a good one on here!

Comment

In support of what Mal is saying, Have a look at the internals of this ebaybaby....http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1182951021

Comment

wow... that would be baaaaaad!

Comment

I guess what Im asking is: Is there there any brand I should steer away from?
                  a

Comment

Hi Andrew,

As the others have said, itll be hard to pick up a reliable 2 head machine for $1,000.00. Our Church cafe bought a new Expobar Elegance three years ago ( approx $3,800.00 I think ), which has given very good and reliable service...way out of your Churchs league at the moment, I know!

More to the point, the technician who has serviced the machine from time to time told me that Expobar machines, in general, are very solid and reliable, and utilise high quality materials, fittings and electronic components, and it is easy to obtain good generic parts for them.

So my advice, passed on from the technician, would be not to overlook a used Expobar 2 group machine, if one can be found near the price your Church can afford.

Alternatively, your Church may wish to consider something our Church leaders did when we were in just the same situation as yours... not being able to afford a new machine from scratch. We hired an old but reliable machine from a commercial supplier for several months and generated quite a lot of revenue from the sale of coffees.

At that point our leaders approached a member of the congregation known to have a "few bob" and he gladly loaned the Church the balance of the cost of the new machine. He was repaid in full within a year from cafe profits! ( We soon had enough to also purchase a new
                    Mini-Mazzer grinder, as well ). If no-one in particular in your Church congregation is well-heeled, you may consider taking up an appeal for monetary gifts or interest- free loans.

If neither of these suggestions is appropriate, your congregation might find other ways of generating some funds along similar lines.

All the best,

Trevorbeans

Comment

Cheers mate... will keep an eye out for the Expobars!

what you suggested is pretty much how i plan on buying it (loan from a person with a bob or two and pay it back with coffee sales)

I thought I might be able to get away with around the $1000 mark but maybe not - If it wasnt for the fact its in QLD, the 3 group Klub & mazzer is sounding good.

Comment

Im no expert on leasing but i had to get a quote for a cafe on some gear the other day,it was $5100 worth of gear and the lease came back at about $189 p/m over 3years with a 5% residual that broke down to about 12 coffes per week for them to cover the cost of the lease, so that might be an option worth considering so at least you could get something new and know what your getting.
                        just a thought
                        phil

Comment

Thanks for that phil... ill look into it

have spotted a couple of possibles on evilbay... can i get an opinion (obviously more on brand etc)

Item number: 130200116527
                          Item number: 370024904409

(kinda has to be in VIC)
                          a

Comment

Without seeing them in the flesh and trying them out (something easy to fall into on the bay), Id probably stay away from the first one being an auto (not that thats a bad thing, just more things to go wrong). I dont know too much about them, but they seem solid from other reports. The faema is known for its built like a tank-ness and reliability, and being a manual machine might keep you clear of future danger with the right tlc. But it is older....
                            hmm

Comment

yes well being in Tas its kinda hard to see it first... Which is kinda a problem but not really one I can get around easily (2nd hand machines are a tad rare here)

Comment

Working...
                              X