X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a Silvia Rocky Combo

Hi All,
    First time poster so bare with me!

I am a genuine lover of coffee and following a little research on this site and the rest of the WWW I have decided the Rancilio Silvia/Rocky combo is probably the best i can afford. The problem is well money is a little tight and I would like to get the best possible price available. Does anyone have any suggestion of where I can get his combo (preferrably in NSW) for a really competitive price? I am happy to go to a store or shop online. The best i have found so far is on Ebay, and the combo is going for about $1140. Is this the best deal I am going to get?

Also if you think I am heading completely in the wrong direction regarding the Silvia I am more than happy to get some guidance. I have used a sunbeam in the past but I have outgrown that, and my parents have an ECM so using machine of this calibre is no problem (just the budget does not stretch that far).
    Thanks in advance
    Scott

Re: Looking for a Silvia Rocky Combo

Welcome Scott!

RRP of Silvia is about $760 and Rocky is about $425, so that price isnt all that much lower than RRP. Id be heading across to Di Bartoli and seeing what they can do for you. Our site sponsors can often work out a good price for CSers. However be aware that price isnt the only factor to consider - eBay may or may not be cheaper than a site sponsor, but a sponsor (and any other reputable seller for that matter but sponsors particularly) will often give you a bit of a training drill on the machine, be there for ongoing support or breakages or whatever, which are things you may well not get from eBay or similar. So dont shop on price alone unless youre happy to do all your own servicing and take a chance if something breaks under warranty. For the sake of a ~$50-$100 saving thats a big risk in my books.

If youre not in a particular hurry, you may like to keep your eye on the For Sale section here and look at second-hand equipment. Most stuff of this calibre lasts for years so unless you need that new in box feeling you can save a packet by buying second-hand, or spend the same amount and get better equipment. FWIW, I bought my Silvia second-hand about 18 months ago from a CSer and it hasnt missed a beat. This is the experience of the vast majority.

Greg

Comment

SWD76S

Welcome mate.
      I think pretty much everyone here would agree that you cant go wrong with that choice, given your price range, there could also another couple of options you could check out, such as the Botticelli and the La Spaz grinder.

Margins in the world of espresso machines are pretty tight and I dont think youll get a tremendous $$$ variation, between sellers.
      what you dont want to do is end up with poor customer support for a product you may keep for 10+ years for the sake of saving $50.00 or whatever.

A lot of the valuable support and experience available on this site comes via site sponsors [see the left side of the page] and you should talk to people like Di Bartoli [NSW] and Talk Coffee before making final decisions.

Most of us here are very appreciative of the level of knowledge shared by these guys, and their overall positive contribution to the Australian coffee industry. So generally, questions of a "where can I get the best deal" nature, evoke "Here.... youll get the best advise" answers.

Oh!........Ive just done it myself.

Good luck with it all, be sure to keep us posted with your progress and whilst you dont think youll do it, youprobably end up roasting your own beans before too long.

Comment

Thanks Greg and Reubster for your advice, i will get in touch with Di Bartolis and take it from there.
        Cheers
        Scott

Comment

You wont go wrong with Silvia/Rocky Scott, I picked mine up last July and the experience has been nothing but great. Get a Pullman tamper to go with it and you will be producing god shots in no time!!!

Comment

Gday Scott.

watch out for some of those people selling stuff on weevilbay, they are not looking after you like some of us site sponsors in here...in fact they dont look after anyone with no real shopfronts and no overheads, no rent, no wages, they dont want to talk to you, only deal by email......what sort of deal is that????????  and......no advice to give here and in other forums.

We will match or better any advertised offer made by them right here, in CS.

If you wish to know more however, maybe it would be best to take it off line.

Regards,
            Attilio
            aka FC, first / original CS site sponsor and incidentally,

we are a direct importer of Silvia / Rocky.

PS, the prices of these babies are not going to get any lower any time soon. As of the 1st January 2008 the factory raised all prices by a considerable margin and this means that once imports of machines manufactured this year start to land in Australia, the price WILL rise.

We have excellent stocks just landed, of Silvias and Rockys invoiced out of Italy in October at the old price!

Comment

Weevilbay...................I love that!......my personal barstardisation is "sleezebay" anywhoo this could be a good off topic thingy.

Comment

Originally posted by SWD76S link=1201735663/0#0 date=1201735663
                Hi All,
                bare
                – adjective - Without covering or clothing; naked; nude: bare legs.

bear
                Bear with, to be patient or forbearing with: Please bear with me until I finish the story.

Dont go putting ideas in their heads.
                Possibly not a pretty picture in some cases.

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1201735663/0#7 date=1201773276
                  Originally posted by SWD76S link=1201735663/0#0 date=1201735663
                  Hi All,
                  bare
                  – adjective - Without covering or clothing; naked; nude: bare legs.

bear
                  Bear with, to be patient or forbearing with: Please bear with me until I finish the story.

Dont go putting ideas in their heads.
                  Possibly not a pretty picture in some cases.
                  Well, there you go. No advice on the machine but an English lesson instead. :P

I agree with Attilio though something else you might keep in mind is locality. If your in Sydney its an easy trip to Di Bartoli and you can get a play on the machines, as is the case with other sponsors, though you may have further to travel. Whenever your machines may need a service, or heaven forbid a repair under warranty, I think its always easier to deal with a sponsor thats local to you.

PS. Did you notice the spelling mistake in my post? No need to answer that!

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis link=1201735663/0#8 date=1201773877
                    Well, there you go.  No advice on the machine but an English lesson instead.  :P

<snip>

PS.  Did you notice the spelling mistake in my post?  No need to answer that!
                    :P

Im no expert on Sylvia and the previous posters supplied a lot of useful information.

Theres more to learn here than just about coffee.

Comment

hehehe, yup I sure am glad it wasnt my name that was mispelled Dennis..... oh by the way TG, I bet if we looked into the background of all CS participants there really would be so much more to talk about in here than just coffee and machines and grinders like Rockie.

A.

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1201735663/0#9 date=1201775095
                        Originally posted by Dennis link=1201735663/0#8 date=1201773877
                        Well, there you go.  No advice on the machine but an English lesson instead.  :P

<snip>

PS.  Did you notice the spelling mistake in my post?  No need to answer that!

Im no expert on Sylvia and the previous posters supplied a lot of useful information.

Theres more to learn here than just about coffee.

Silvia :P

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1201735663/0#9 date=1201775095
                          Im no expert on Syilvia

Comment

....but we should be able to spell EXBOPAR - EXPOBAR well enough though ;D

Comment

Working...
                            X