Descaling Gaggia Classic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Descaling Gaggia Classic

Hi, I was told today when I went into a coffee roaster to get some descaler that I didnt need to descale my Gaggia Classic. All that was required was to get an annual service when it was due. Anybody know if this is true?

Re: Descaling Gaggia Classic

Sounds like someone trying to drum-up some business Sydwiz.....

Welcome to CoffeeSnobs by the way..... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
    Im pretty sure some fellow Classic owners will chime in soon with the reality of what keeps your Classic in good nick. All the best ,

Mal.

Comment

Sydneywizard,
      Im guessing he asked you to bring it to him as well to do the service.... :
      I dont believe his advice to be true.
      <-----When I used to use this little baby I descaled her every month. I think you could get away with descaling your Classic every 2-3 months, depending on how often you use it.
      Another part of your routine maybe to backflush it every now and then. Apparently this is debatable with Classics, but Id do it. As far as Im concerned; it has a 3-way valve, and it needs to be backflushed to get rid of old oils/crud etc.
      Site sponsors "Coffee Parts" have some products that have everything you need for keeping the Classic a classic. (ok, Ill stop now otherwise Ill need some wine with my cheese).

YeeZa

Comment

yes
        the classic, like every other home machine needs descaling on a regular basis. intervals are dependent on usage and water quality, every 3 mths min is a good guide. scale problems are not covered under warranty.

in regard to cleaning groups with a three way solenoid, first you can remove filter and clean, backflush using a rubber plug not a blind filter, this will put less stress on boiler seals, joins etc.(some of the pump relief valves dont release until 18 bar, and can sometimes cause more problems)

it is very important with gaggias to pull the group filters and coffee valve out on a regular basis as they tend to scale up quite fast. dont overtighten when refitting,

http://www.gaggia.com.au/help_maintenance.html

fix

Comment

De scale every month with cafetto descaler. Go to one of the site sponsors who deals with Gaggias and get it serviced once a year.

I think site sppnsor Di Bartoli is a Sydney Gaggia dealer.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your advice. Ill pop into Di Bartoli tomorrow and grab myself some Cafetto descaler.

To be fair to the roaster that gave me the initial advice, she actually didnt suggest that I bring my unit in. Only suggested that descaling was not necessary on a Classic and it would be taken care of the next time I was due an annual service.

Comment

Originally posted by Sydneywizard link=1202207919/0#5 date=1202279585
              Thanks everyone for your advice. Ill pop into Di Bartoli tomorrow and grab myself some Cafetto descaler.

To be fair to the roaster that gave me the initial advice, she actually didnt suggest that I bring my unit in. Only suggested that descaling was not necessary on a Classic and it would be taken care of the next time I was due an annual service.
              Depending on how long its been since its been cleaned/serviced, and if you intend doing the job yourself, it would be well worth your while to pick up a group head gasket at the same time. You can then remove the old one along with the shower screen and group head above to clean those parts too.

You may be amazed how much gunk builds up around those parts.

Di Bartoli also service these machines, so worth getting a quote.

Comment

Hi

there is an alternative descaler here from posted by Bill, Tis worth a read http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1201648870

Cheers
                DAF

Comment

Whilst Citric acid (I assume that is what you are referring to) is great for copper, brass or stainless steel boilers and components...

Do not.... NOT.....NOT use it with aluminium boilers (like the Gaggia) or parts made of aluminium..... it will attack them really quickly doing a lot of damage.

Comment

Originally posted by JavaB link=1202207919/0#8 date=1202286024
                    Whilst Citric acid (I assume that is what you are referring to) is great for copper, brass or stainless steel boilers and components...

Do not.... NOT.....NOT use it with aluminium boilers (like the Gaggia) or parts made of aluminium..... it will attack them really quickly doing a lot of damage.

Cheers JavaB, consider me educated :-[

Comment

I had a Sunbeam cafe Espresso (one of their cheapies) a couple of years back. It had an aluminium thermoblock. The manual suggested to use the Sunbeam descaler OR citric acid. It sprung leaks around the group due to wear on soft metal after warranty ran out so I do not know if the citric acid did any damage. Strange they would recommend it though.

Comment

Working...
                      X