Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excited about my new 6910

Hi all
    After many weeks of lurking and one post, I have bought a 6910 and the accompanying grinder and cant wait to start practising.

My question(s) for the forum are

1. Can I remove the black thingie that sits in the bottom of the portafiller (or group handle as SUnbeam calls it)
    2. What tweaks can or should I make to the machine
    3. Anything else I need to know that hasnt been covered regularly on this site

Thanks

Tim

Re: Excited about my new 6910

yes remove black thing
    basically just play around with settings, the machine makes great coffee when perfected, it took me a few weeks, but the results are worth while. invest in a good tamper , i have a pullman , worth the outlay, it improves the coffee 100%, most of all enjoy your machine.

Comment

thanks Liamlad
      So far, coffee has been good to great - some more work needed on the milk technique
      Curious to know why the tamper makes such a difference though

Comment

The fit in the basket (you send the baskets to Greg and he calipers them and machines the tamper to best fit) - ie so that no coffee is left untamped, or not evenly tamped. The weight - so its easy to get it straight and use. The lines on the Pullman are very handy - you get consistency by dosing the same way then tamping to the same ring each time - then all you need to do is get your grind right.

Cheers

PS. Set the steam temp to min recovery and max heat. Try upping the brew head temp a couple of degrees or more - I found 4 degrees was right.

Comment

Hi babyarnold and welcome

Yes, take out that black thingy. You can do this by unscrewing the bottom section and pushing the black plastic out. Otherwise gunk builds up between this and the metal and will taint the taste.

As everyone has said, the tamper is a great investment. Though dont think you will need to send the basket away for the Sunbeams as they are very consistent with basket sizes.

Comment

"..unsrew the bottom section.." - easier said than done!  I have tried and failed, even using a dowel to increase leverage.
            Maybe next step is to hold the bottom in a vise and use the extra leverage of the handle, or is there a better way?

Comment

Originally posted by Occam link=1203107683/0#5 date=1203144989
              "..unsrew the bottom section.." - easier said than done! I have tried and failed, even using a dowel to increase leverage.
              Maybe next step is to hold the bottom in a vise and use the extra leverage of the handle, or is there a better way?
              I used the shaft of a screwdriver and that worked fine, though am sure a vice would certainly do the trick!

Comment

Its no extra charge, just a bit of postage to send the single and double baskets - or just the double if thats your choice....I would (hold on...I did)

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Occam link=1203107683/0#5 date=1203144989
                  "..unsrew the bottom section.." - easier said than done! I have tried and failed, even using a dowel to increase leverage.
                  Dont know if this applies to Sunbeam machines but most Italian manufacturers use a Thread-lock compound like "Loctite" to prevent the spouts from vibrating loose or moving out of position. So as to avoid using excessive force, you could try applying heat from a small butane torch or similar, to the vertical section of the spouts where it screws on to the PF. No need to exceed 250C and this will avoid discolouring the chrome finish. The Thread-lock should break down allowing you to unscrew the Spouts with little effort (hopefully) .

Cheers,
                  Mal.

Comment

The spout comes off pretty easily, no Lochtite there.

The basket size is 58mm if you are keen on getting a decent tamper (ie. Pullman, Coffeelabs, RegBarber, etc.)

Comment

According to the manual they do use loctite, but if you heat it up as Mal suggested (I just poured some boiling water over the PF) and using an appropriate lever you shouldnt have any trouble. Maybe its cross-threaded or overtightened?

Comment

I have just brought a 6910 myself, what a great little machine! 8-)

Loctite will breakdown at 150 deg, so a little heat should do the trick.

Cheers,

Rewop.

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis link=1203107683/0#4 date=1203141105
                          Yes, take out that black thingy.
                          This is officially called the Graeme here on CS! ;D (Do a search for that term if you want the history!). So long as you warm the machine up properly you can pull it out, but if you decide to leave it in for brewing make sure you remove it fairly regularly for cleaning as some interesting things can grow there!

Originally posted by Dennis link=1203107683/0#4 date=1203141105
                          As everyone has said, the tamper is a great investment. Though dont think you will need to send the basket away for the Sunbeams as they are very consistent with basket sizes.
                          Correct. To date Sunbeam have been very consistent with their sizes so we dont normally push as hard for 6910 owners to send in their baskets as we would for most other machines. However I expect as production numbers climb some small variations will eventually manifest themselves, so while its not as necessary as normal its still the only way to be 100% certain.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by m@ link=1203107683/0#10 date=1203398821
                            According to the manual they do use loctite, but if you heat it up as Mal suggested (I just poured some boiling water over the PF) and using an appropriate lever you shouldnt have any trouble. Maybe its cross-threaded or overtightened?
                            I tried removing the spout when it was hot (after use) - it was quite easy then.
                            Now after trying the 6910 for a while - I am buying one.  There is a significant difference in taste compared with my old Napoletana!

Comment

Short time lurker, first time poster

I have had my 6910 for about 3 months or so, and the em0480 grinder for a month or so less than that.

I am constantly fiddling with grind / dose / tamp settings to see how the pour eventuates etc, sitting round that magical 60ml in about 22 - 25 seconds or so.

For now, I am dosing the double basket with 3 7gm scoops of coffee from the grinder (I use an old plastic jam container with a hole cut in the lid to contain the grinds, no mess ) -

2 scoops into the PF, then a few bangs on the counter to settle the grinds, add final scoop, then tamp / polish. The gauge sits at approximately 12 - 1 oclock position, sometimes going to 2, but I do sometimes wonder if I should be cutting the shot a little short and getting less volume or grind one notch finer and letting it run into the brown a little more, but when I do that with the double basket, the shot runs to about 35 -40 seconds which seems too long.

I have tried finer grind and a little less coffee in the basket (same as per the routine above, but I level off the PF with a knife, resulting in about 2 1/2 - 2 3/4 scoops) but this often seems to result in soggy pucks and a weird reaction on the machine (gauge jumps up and down as it tries to pump the water through, then when the extraction starts, it settles).

I only really drink milk based drinks.

Should I be so obsessed with the timing of the shot?
                              Should I be so obsessed with appeasing the gauge god?
                              Should I be so obsessed to get 60ml shots?

Anyway, enjoying reading up on the threads, and have been drooling over the cool latte art threads too

Sen

Comment

Working...
                              X