EM6910

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EM6910

Just purchased the 6910 after much research and am wondering if it is normal that it is so noisy.....you cant talk when the machine is going.

Re: EM6910

Originally posted by Coffeenovice link=1204791437/0#0 date=1204791437
    Just purchased the 6910 after much research and am wondering if it is normal that it is so noisy.....you cant talk when the machine is going.
    Hi Novice and welcome!

If it sounds like ajackhammer, thats pretty much normal...The 6910 is not renowned for silence

Enjoy the journey.

2mcm

Comment

Hi Novice, Yes the 6910 is pretty noisy......but for 600 bucks, you have a great machine....

Just be sure to pump up the settings on the water temp and steam.....it will make a great coffee.

Comment

That is comforting to know (thought it might be broken as was not able to test before buying but went on recommendations, research and feedback from coffeesnobs)...It does sound like a jackhammer so all is good. Have made my first ordinary coffee, though still better than the stuff from the work canteen. Will take up the recommendation to up the settings and definitely need the practice on the milk thing. My coffee journey has really taken off since I am so against paying for bad coffee at work, so figure if I can have a nice one before I get there I can then wait till I get home.

Comment

I picked one of these bad boys up on the weekend also.......whilst it is light years ahead of my little old Breville machine, im having a bitch of a time pouring a decent shot. Practice makes perfect though

Comment

Welcome to Coffee Snobs willsy01.

Describe whats happening and we may be able to help you improve those shots.

Comment

Yup, I got scolded by my wife for making a coffee while the baby was sleeping, cos the jackhammer woke him up.

Comment

Mine sounds like directional drilling going on in the kitchen..
                Not a good idea to use it early in the morning, you may wake up the neighborhood :-X

Comment

Ive got a spare Sunbeam grinder in my garage for 5am grinds so that I dont wake up the house!!

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1204791437/0#5 date=1204802461
                    Welcome to Coffee Snobs willsy01.

Describe whats happening and we may be able to help you improve those shots.
                    I dont think my grinder can get the coffee fine enough.....its not a conical burr type grinder, just a little benchtop Russell Hobbs thing:

If I give it a really serious tamping, the pressure guage gets up into the upper half of the "good zone" described in the manual.....but the shot is quite weak and watery. This is using the single shot basket.....not the dual floor one, and ive removed the plastic thing from the PF.

Im using fresh beans from Belaroma (they roast on site) and theyre actually recommended by Sunbeam for their machines. I might pick up a bag thats been ground for espresso and see if it makes any difference.

Comment

Welcome willsy01,

Therein lies the problem. You have quite a good machine but your grinder is really only suitable for plunger grind (if that).

Even moreso that with machines, ya gets what ya pays for with grinders.

To get something suitable, you will really need to find a bare minimum of $300 behind the couch cushions and put it towards something better. Your coffee will then improve in leaps and bounds.

Good luck!

Chris

Comment

You cannot get better advice than that

Comment

Originally posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1204791437/0#10 date=1204842697
                          Welcome willsy01,

Therein lies the problem. You have quite a good machine but your grinder is really only suitable for plunger grind (if that).

Even moreso that with machines, ya gets what ya pays for with grinders.

To get something suitable, you will really need to find a bare minimum of $300 behind the couch cushions and put it towards something better. Your coffee will then improve in leaps and bounds.

Good luck!

Chris
                          I figured as much.......ive had the grinder for a few years. Those spinning blades are only going to break down the beans so far.......which is not far enough.

Its a shame I didnt get the machine when they were doing the grinder deal. I might pick up pre-ground coffee in the interim.

Comment

If using pre-ground, try and get it from a local roaster, and buy only in small quantities (say 200g), and then keep it in an airtight container. You will probably find that for the first day or 3, you will get some reasonable extractions, after that, it will deteriorate (thats what I found before I got my own grinder anyways).

Once you get your own grinder, then you can really experiment with the machine, different dosing techniques (less coffee and finer vs more coffee and courser grind - which this machine prefers BTW).

Im almost embarrassed at the "cappuccions" I used to make on my old machine - blade grinder similar to yours and an old "Melita" espresso machine. "Fill up" a small cup with the extraction and add on top the steamed (large bubbles and generally scalded) milk, hey, just like a cafe? They bear absolutely no resemblance to what I can make nowl and I am only really at the beginning of my experience with the 6910, still perfecting the milk

Sen

Comment

I ducked up to Belaroma at lunchtime and picked up 225g espresso grind......as I said, they roast on site and theres a label on the front saying its recommended by Sunbeam for espresso machines. Lets hope the label doesnt lie.

Comment

Working...
                              X