Silvia Double Spout and uneven pours - again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silvia Double Spout and uneven pours - again

Ive read the last post about uneven pours from Silvias. Dont really want to stuff around with filing out the slower spout. Sorry to be thick but just wondering how the naked portafilla helps. My bench is definitely level. Chris at Talk coffee has suggested I get a professional spout from Coffee Parts - can I just replace my current one with this? :

Re: Silvia Double Spout and uneven pours - again

Originally posted by nikkikirks link=1205897391/0#0 date=1205897390
    Ive read the last post about uneven pours from Silvias.  Dont really want to stuff around with filing out the slower spout.  Sorry to be thick but just wondering how the naked portafilla helps.  My bench is definitely level.  Chris at Talk coffee has suggested I get a professional spout from Coffee Parts - can I just replace my current one with this?  :
    Yes Nikki- youll need a vice and some brute strength to remove the old one and fit the new one....Its a good idea to wrap the new spouts in something to protect them form damage as well...

Good luck

Chris

Comment

A few weeks after I got my Sunbeam 6910, I noticed that the double spout poured unevenly also.  A half turn of the front left leg fixed it, but darn... now I cant treat myself to the bigger shot anymore.  

At closer inspection of the front legs on mine,.. they are pretty loose and my guess is..they are work themselves uneven in transit.

Check the legs on your Silvia ( I dont know if the Silvia legs can be adjusted at all).. it only takes a little twist and the machine is still stable on the bench.

Comment

Ive read the last post about uneven pours from Silvias. Sorry to be thick but just wondering how the naked portafilla helps. My bench is definitely level.
        The naked pf helps by allowing you to see if the tamping really is even.
        The shot should begin to come out the filter basket in a sort of circular area about half way out from the centre, and progress to a cone shape from the centre of the filter basket.
        If your pours are off-set away from the centre of the filter basket, it could tend to come out one spout more than the other.

One other point, the bench may be level, what about the bottom of the grouphead where the pf locks in?
        It is not that easy to check for level, but it can be an influence also, in the unlikely situation that the group-head is relatively out of level.

Finally, confirming its not hard to change the spouts, I just put a phillips head screwdriver through the hole to break the seal, then it can be twisted off by hand.
        I have some professional spouts, which look heaps better, but still doesnt always pour even.

I have borrowed a naked pf, and generally my pours were OK, just consistency with tamping.

Bullitt

Comment

[QUOTE=Bullitt link=1205897391/0#3 date=1205961984]
          One other point, the bench may be level, what about the bottom of the grouphead where the pf locks in?
          It is not that easy to check for level, but it can be an influence also, in the unlikely situation that the group-head is relatively out of level.

Bullitt  
          This was the exact problem I had with my machine, i got it levelled and now I get even pours. Not sure how easily it can be checked and adjusted if needed on the Silvia though.

Comment

I suffered with uneven pours for a couple of years and I think that I now have finally licked it.  
            I reckon the problem lies with Rocky not Silvia!
            Rocky’s clumping (or any grinders clumping) creates the basic conditions for poor distribution, tamping on top of clumps does not solve the distribution, if fact probably highlights it. (I’m sure I read something about tamping experiments carried out by Greg Pullman and others.)   You might also do a search for the Weis distribution method, which I found to be too messy and long winded for me.  
            I am now:-
            Grinding until the coffee is level with the lip of the P/F.
            I jab my "bed of nails "into the P/F several times to break up the clumps.
            Place the P/F back into the grinder, and grind until slightly overfull.
            Tap P/F on bench, and level off with a st. edge.
            Tamp.
            The pour distribution is now so much more even.
            I hope this helps
            Bruce
            [img]E:/\/Bruce/\/Bed of Nails.JPG[/img]

Comment

Sorry, can never remember how to get the pictures into posts.
              Hopefully this time it works
              [img][/img]

Comment

Hey Billi, do you sleep on it too?
                Sorry couldnt resist.
                Seriously though, do you push this in till it hits the filter basket?
                I was just wondering about damage to the filter basket.

Cheers,
                Alan

Comment

Thanks so much for all your help. Will definitely try breaking up the clumps first to see if that helps. Am also in the process of buying a pullman tamper so hopefully tamp will be even and accurate. Just to confirm though (sorry being very thick again) the naked portafilla is only so you can check the level of your pour as kind of a testing device?? Obviously you then need to go back to something with a double spout for pouring 2 coffees??? Can you attach new spouts to the bottom of a naked portafilla. [smiley=undecided.gif]

Comment

Hi Everyone,

I have the same problem. I am pretty sure it is not the tamp etc. I use WDT to fluf the grounds and i have even tried turning the PF right the way round(handle 180) to the way i usually tamp but it is still the same. My machine and bench are level also. I was going to get stuck into it with a dremel as someone else suggested. Is the professional spout just the ones in the rancillio section on coffeeparts?

Cheers.

Comment

I would have thought the clumping/tamping could be easily proven/unproved by simply rotating the basket 180deg in the portafilter after tamping and seeing if the pour swaps sides

Comment

Good idea argon, thats pretty much what i did but in a more round about way.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                        X