Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New PID Installation

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to add myself to the "Jims PID kits rock" camp. Did the intstallaion today and it worked first kick. Only problem is i forgot to fill the water tank luckily i remember and the boiler was only dry for about 30 seconds. Hope i didnt do any damage.

Again if you have been living on mars and are interested. Jims kits are quality, easy to install and safe. Thanks heaps Jim for the great service.

Jeremy.

Re: New PID Installation

What machine did you PID?

Comment

Originally posted by YeeZa link=1206344049/0#1 date=1206346775
      What machine did you PID?
      Yeah, gotta have photos BamBam.... :-?

Mal.

Comment

Sorry about that, it is my 3 month old Silvia.

Hopfully there is a pic attached (my first pic post).

Mal do you think that my boiler being dry would have damaged the heating element or the pump? It was for a very short period but it did run dry. It seems to be fine now but i just hope there is no long term damage.

Comment

Well, if your silvia is working, I wouldnt worry about it. Im very obsessive about checking the water levels. In fact, I refill every time I use the machine to avoid a dry boiler.

nice PID!

Comment

HI Shawn,

Yeah i do as well. but as this wasnt routine and i was excited about the installation i completely forgot after i put the water tank back in. Seems to be working fine now so fingers crossed.

Comment

Originally posted by BamBam link=1206344049/0#3 date=1206349100
              Hopfully there is a pic attached (my first pic post).
              Looks really good BamBam.... 8-)

Mal do you think that my boiler being dry would have damaged the heating element or the pump? It was for a very short period but it did run dry. It seems to be fine now but i just hope there is no long term damage.
              Hmmm, hard to say mate but I suspect there will be some damage that could possibly culminate in an early element failure. They(the elements) rely very heavily on the ability of the water to sink heat away from the element since the overall size of the boiler is quite small with almost no thermal contact between the element and the boiler casing. Time will tell I guess, keep your fingers crossed.... :-/

All the best,
              Mal.

Comment

Just installed one of Jims PID kit as well.
                Excellent product and instructions.. but I must admit this line on page B-3 had me a little confused ;D

"use your third hand to firmly push the stripped thermocouple lead all"

Comment

Originally posted by thoang link=1206344049/0#7 date=1206422951
                  Just installed one of Jims PID kit as well.
                  Excellent product and instructions.. but I must admit this line on page B-3 had me a little confused  ;D

"use your third hand to firmly push the stripped thermocouple lead all"
                  What- you couldnt see it with your third eye?? ;D

Comment

Hi Bambam

If Silvia is working well then I would forget about the 30 secs it is over and gone.  

So brew, steam and enjoy Silvia and PID and move on together into the bright new day of great coffee ......

dumiya

Comment

Ive just started a PID savings fund after reading these posts and seeing the results........................I need about $300??

Comment

Hi Greenman,

I bought a used 935 from Jim at pidkits.com. You wouldnt have even know that it was used. The whole kit was brand new and the controller didnt have a mark on it. With postage at the time I got it it was 262 AUD including postage. So really good value. As I understand it the main difference between the 935 and SD3C is the 2 line display and the ability to set the temperature to a fraction of a degree as apposed to whole degrees. I cannot see the two line display being an advantage at all because you just press a button to see the set point. If you are very particular about the temperature then maybe the ability to set it at a fraction of a degree might be better for you. Personally I cannot see that it would make a huge difference being that when it is idling it seems to hover at +-1 degree of the set point (although once it is really settled it stays on the set point almost exclusively). I am very happy with my purchase and would recommend it to anyone.

J

Comment

thoang,

By some strange coincidence you seem to have the same splashback and kitchen bench color as me. Great minds think alike (the photo of my silvia is in my office). Although I wouldnt mind a pup out of your grinder, mmm and your tamper.

Comment

thoang - take your pick of the digital led display colours huh. Blue on the grinder Red or green on the PID - nice setup youve got there.

Comment

Working...
                            X