Silvia water tank - grey slime at bottom - Perth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silvia water tank - grey slime at bottom - Perth

Hi all.  I noticed a bug - just an ant I think (ew!!)     :-[  in my Silvias water tank today so pulled it out to give it a bit of a clean.  Then to my horror noticed a small amount/ film of grey coloured material at the bottom of the tank.  Cleaned off very easily with a sponge
    I live in Perth metro area and Im using a Thermos jug to filter the water.
    I have had the machine for about 2 months and have never cleaned the tank before
    Anybody else had a similar experience?
    What on earth is it?
    Do I need to get a better water filtration system?  :-/

Re: Silvia water tank - grey slime at bottom - Per

it is the sludge in the water
    yes you need a better filter system and should remove water container weekly and rinse. descal reguarlly

Comment

I was doing my weekly backflush etc today when I saw your post so I emptied the tank to check it out, there was a little bit of a buildup on the bottom, nothing drastic but I gave it a good clean and will do it every couple of weeks for now on....see what youve done, now Ive got another job to do on Saturdays!!!

Comment

Originally posted by greenman link=1206767601/0#2 date=1206780273
        I was doing my weekly backflush  etc today when I saw your post so I emptied the tank to check it out, there was a little bit of a buildup on the bottom, nothing drastic but I gave it a good clean and will do it every couple of weeks for now on....see what youve done, now Ive got another job to do on Saturdays!!!
        Geez, youre diligent backflushing every week! Everytime I do a backflush its a pretty major cleanup, time consuming and lots of water used, so I only do it once every 3 months. Its not quite something I look forward to...

Comment

I backflush with water daily and with Cafetto weekly.

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1206767601/0#4 date=1206793642
            I backflush with water daily and with Cafetto weekly.
            we back flush weekly and Cafetto monthly plus
            I pull out the water tank weekly and give it a quick clean.
            even though we use a britta jug to filter it still gets a small build up in the tank.

I am guessing but I reckon it would be much worse without the filtered water since from looking at what happens to my kettle.
            Perth gota love the free mineral water on tap ;P

Comment

Frequency of chemical backflushing depends on the number of shots pulled. I make 4-6 shots a day, and do the PF wiggle daily, and Cafetto weekly. I clean my water tank while the Cafetto is doing its stuff.

Comment

After reading about the amount of calcification in Perth water and filters only removing it for a short period of time, I think I will descale Silvia more often in future, at least every 3 months and continue with my weekly backflush and cleaning routine.

Comment

i have buildup on the bottom of tank too :/\/

Comment

After pulling a shot, coffee-coloured water comes out of the 3-way. Definitely dont want that sitting around to clog the 3-way valve and showerscreen and taint the water you use to make your next coffee! After backflushing with plain water two or three times, the water coming out of the 3-way is clear. Well worth the 30 seconds it takes for a daily plain backflush in my view.

Scunge buildup in the water reservoir is inevitable - thats why theyre designed to be easily removed for regular cleaning

Comment

I backflush every morning after making my coffee before heading to work.
                      I have a spare PF with a blind filter so a quick wiggle and flush only takes a few seconds.

Comment

Working...
                      X