Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super automatic espresso machines

Hi all,

I would like to buy a super automatic espresso machine, and have been doing some research to work out the best machine to buy. I was wondering whether anyone could help me.

CG recommends the Jura Capresso Impressa S9 Super Automatic, and a number of people at this site have also recommended Juras for super automatics.

Choice, however, gives the following top four in their ratings of super automatics: SAECO Incanto S-Class De Luxe, SAECO Magic De Luxe, SOLIS Palazzo Rapid Steam, and SUNBEAM Café Barista EM8800.

In other reviews though, the SEACO, SOLIS and Jura machines do not receive especially good reviews, and the machines with the best (and greatest number of) reviews are the Gaggia Syncrony Compact Digital and Gaggia Syncrony Digital Espresso Machine, which I havent seen favorably reviewed elsewhere.

So, I know super automatic espresso machines arent particularly well viewed here, but, in light of this conflicting information, I wanted to ask people who knew what they were talking about what the best machine to buy was and why, in the $500-1500AUD price range.

Thanks very much for your help!

NB- posting modified by mod team to be in line with site posting policy

Re: Super automatic espresso machines

Do you really want to go the auto route? The coffee wont be as good, I imagine you are thinking about ease of use and convenience but if you also like good espresso maybe look at other options?

Comment

Welcome Greg,

Were not into Superautos here because we expect outstanding coffee. Other threads here will give you a CS rating of Choice.

If it has to be superauto, you should probably purchase Jura as they are universally considered to be the best. Most of the others seem to be exercises in heartbreak when it comes to longevity and frequency of breakdown repair.

Its a shame that you have (or choose) to go superauto- because a similar budget and just a little effort would open the door to coffee that would make you reluctant to go out for one. There are many tales of superauto woe here. Hopefully yours will not be another one

Enjoy the ride.

Chris

Comment

hi gregg

couple of questions

what are your main coffees-
        short black,
        long blacks or
        milk based
        if milk based do you want to froth your own milk
        or do it automaticly
        how many a day
        how many at a time
        how much bench space do you have
        do you want digital display
        graham

Comment

Hi guys,

Thanks for your replies - I do have a strong preference for a machine where I dont have to grind the coffee separately, put it in the brewing head (or however that part of standard machines are called), tamp it, and attach the brewing head to the rest of the machine.

Having said that, if there isnt a super automatic machine in this price range that produces drinkable coffee and isnt likely to break down frequently, then I will have to reconsider this preference.

Fix, to answer your questions: my main coffee is a flat white, and I would probably prefer to froth my own milk. I probably have one to two a day, at separate times. Bench space isnt an issue, and I suppose I would prefer a digital display although I dont really mind.

Thanks again!
          Greg

Comment

I drink flat whites.
            Usually 3 a day.
            Im very happy with my Expobar Leva but if you must have a display the next model up, the Minore II, has one.
            Youll need a good grinder too.

Comment

hi greg

the saeco range would probably suit your usage best
              and a twin thermoblock makes the frothing side easier, less change over time from coffee to steam

i prefer the previous models, like the magic and royals, mainly because they are easier to work on
              the new range works the same, with the same parts, just put together tighter

the jura is the same as the earlier krups Orchestra
              i find the jura to be better when used as an automatic frother because of the low position of the steamer

Gaggia is made by Saeco but there new range starts at about $1600 and the parts backup is not as good as the saeco

hope this helps

graham

Comment

So, I know super automatic espresso machines arent particularly well viewed here, but, in light of this conflicting information, I wanted to ask people who knew what they were talking about what the best machine to buy was and why, in the $500-1500AUD price range
                i think we need a coffee equipment listing for automatic machines, were people can ask these questions, without feeling intimidated that their coffee isnt good enough

Were not into Superautos here because we expect outstanding coffee
                im sorry chris, but this sounds like people asking questions about automatic machines should go elsewhere (thats if i read it right)
                everybodys ideas of outstanding coffee is different

graham

Comment

Graham I understand the stance youre taking with that last comment but I defy anyone to rate coffee from a superauto as outstanding when compared to what I make with my Expobar Leva.

They may think it is compared to what theyve had before but once they try mine its on another level again.

Why not tell them the truth and let them decide what suits their wants/needs once armed with all the info.

Should they not be informed that theres better coffee to be had?

I have a problem with answering a question about coffee that leads a newbie down a costly path.
                  Some of them dont know the right questions to ask.

As for a section of the forum just for superautos, it may be worth trying.

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1207406120/0#8 date=1207567518
                    Graham I understand the stance youre taking with that last comment but I defy anyone to rate coffee from a superauto as outstanding when compared to what I make with my Expobar Leva.

They may think it is compared to what theyve had before but once they try mine its on another level again.

Why not tell them the truth and let them decide what suits their wants/needs once armed with all the info.

Should they not be informed that theres better coffee to be had?

I have a problem with answering a question about coffee that leads a newbie down a costly path.
                    Some of them dont know the right questions to ask.

As for a section of the forum just for superautos, it may be worth trying.
                    Id be happy to put my tastebuds on the line with competent barista v superauto any day....blindfolded. Nevertheless, a well calibrated superauto can make a good average coffee if thats what you want!

Comment

Greg with my very limited knowledge of superautos there is no way a machine can tamp the coffee correctly and then clean the portafilter like a competent person can .What I mean is these machines dont flush the portafilter after making a cuppa.So surely some espressed coffee gets left behind also another consideration is there is a lot of moving parts in these machines.But good luck with whatever you decide to buy.

Comment

Hi Greg

I have just posted an article about my experiences and hints for use with my Gaggia Syncrony Logic and ways to get the most out of it.

Hope this helps. I have had mine for 18 months and use it every day and touch wood have never had a problem with it mechanically. We are quite happy with the quality of the flat whites we pull out of it but they are not at the level that most of the punters here are aiming at.

I am sure that a fully automatic would be fine for a few years then maybe upgrade to a down grade to a semi automatic and a grinder.

Comment

Greg,

I can only comment about the 3 machines that I have personally adjusted and used.

We have an $1800 deLonghi at work that will make a reasonable coffee with milk. Everybody prefers it to either instant or the Coffee-to-Go next door, and I drink 2-3 cups every day from it.

The grinder sometimes does not grind fine enough, and when it does, it is very close to the grind that causes the machine to shut itself off because the grind is too fine.

I could easily make better coffee with my very old $350 La San Marco and a rotary blade grinder ($35).

Upgrading the grinder to a Rocky ($450) made my coffee MUCH better, and upgrading the machine to a VBM Domobar ($1300) made the coffee so much better that the office machine isnt even in the same bracket.

I guess its going to depend on how much money and work you are willing to put in, and how much good coffee means to you. Good luck.

Greg

Comment

Hi Greg, Glad you had the courage to ask a question like that here. ;D
                            My opinion is, there is no point buying a manual machine no matter how much it costs, if you cant use it to its full ability. Yes they make an excellent cuppa, but if you have had no training on how to achieve that excellent cuppa, it will make just as bad, if not worse coffee than the super autos.
                            If your expertise is limited, i would stick to the superautos and you will enjoy your coffee once you have found the right coffee and coffee settings that suit you.
                            Saeco and Gaggia auto machines are made in the same factory so are the same parts that tend to break down. I know this cause i have had 2 saecos in the last 10 years.....they work well when they work.
                            I recommend you buy what you are comfortable in using and make sure you have a coffee from which ever machine you buy before you actually purchase 1, then you can sample the type of coffee it makes and wont be disappointed when you get it home.

good luck in your research.

Cheers

Comment

Hi Greg one thing I forgot to mention was that the Gaggia Syncrony Logic cost me $400 18 months ago at a warehouse clearance sale. You can pick up the latest model, I am told, for $699. This is about half the price of a Sylvia and decent grinder (although you would get better coffee and from what the guys here report longer life and better resale value).

The other thing about the auto is that I have mangaged to train my partner in how to use it and she now makes decent coffees without the "Darling can you make me a coffee" call.

If only I could train her to clean it I would be redundant!

PS having said all this I am going the semi auto route when this hits its use by date but that is normal I believe.

Comment

Working...
                              X