Gauge on Sunbeam EM6910

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gauge on Sunbeam EM6910

Just got this machine and noticed that the built in "espresso guage" did not budge when the shots were being poured. I filled the filter baskes with finely ground coffe a few mill below the top and tamped it.

Assuming the guage is not kaput what am I doing wrong?

Re: Guage on Sunbeam EM6910

how long did the shot take to run?

Did you use the normal basket or the pressurised one?

The BCG grinder that you have in your sig will have to be on the absolutely finest setting it has, and even then the basket overdosed and packed harder than a mini full of elephants to pull a 30 sec shot.

Sen

Comment

Assuming the coffee is flowing, Id gauge a kaput gauge.

Comment

If the guage is not even budging with some coffee in to I would suggest the guage is not working. Once you get a feel for the shot and timing you probably dont need the guage anyway. I rarely use it now when pulling shots ans I look at the coffee coming out and see what this is doing and guage my coffee pours this way rather than looking at the guage now.

Comment

Used the normal filter. Will try again with grinder on finest setting and dose up the filter more. If it still doesnt budge I guess the guage is not working.
          Thanks everone. Will let you know how I go.

Comment

Ground the beans on the finest setting,increased the dosage and stood on the tamper. The guage moved but not into the sweet spot yet. Got some nice crema too!
            Bit more practice and I think I will get there.
            Only day 3 for a newbie...but I bet you could all tell that anyway.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

forgetting the gauge for a second, how long did it take to run the shot, and single basket or double?

Comment

One option to check definitively is to insert the backflushing disk and backflush the machine as per the owners manual. Since theres no outlet for the water the only thing the pump can do is generate pressure, at which time the gauge should move. If it doesnt its cactus.

Comment

Hi Senator

Used the double basket. Didnt time the double shot..guessing it was about 20 seconds.

Thanks Greg...good tip. The guage is definately working with the finer grind and dosing the basket up.

Comment

try the same grind and tamp pressure but with the normal single basket. It will take about 14 - 18g of coffee, tamp it hard and then run the single shot. Have a watch / clock handy with a second hand and time it. Should run 20 - 30 secs for 30ml (closer to 30 secs than 20 I find is better, but each to their own).

Sen

Comment

Hi Senator

Did as you suggested. Shot tok 23 secs from pressing the button or 19 secs from when the flow started. Gauge was in the middle of the suggested zone too.

Comment

How was the taste, that is what counts afterall.

I would think that you should stick to the single basket for your shots. the double basket has a lot more open screen at the bottom of it (IE More holes) and lets the water flow much quicker. If you are on your finest setting, updosing the single basket and tamping hard to get a 23 sec shot, then I would guess that a double will run in under 20.

If adventurous enough, you could try and find how to mod your grinder to get it grinding finer like here, otherwise, just enjoy what you have. If your happy with the results, thats all that counts

Sen

Comment

Hi Senator

Taste was ok.... not much crema...could be better, thats what I want to try to achieve.

Will try your suggestion re the basket.

The grinder is the key. Mine was set on the finest setting. Winding it back to the so called espresso setting resulted in a poor, quick shot and the gauge did not budge. Have seen the mod online but will probably upgrade to the EM0480. The reviews look good and I guess you are happy with yours.

Comment

Yep, pretty happy with mine.

Ran a couple of shots last week, just touched on the red zone, but didnt choke the machine. A very slow pour, more than a drip but still slow, cut it off at about 30 secs (which was also about the point it started to blonde - well, it was a lot runnier than what had been coming out and quite pale, Im assuming thats blonding). Also happened to get some of the best milk I have done in a while, combined the two and was in heaven, absolutely best coffee I have made yet.

Then stupid old me decided to mess with the grinder settings, and now its all fd up again, and I am back to slowly tightening the grind to find that same sweet spot again.

What is it about this obsession that keeps you thinking "I can do better"?

Comment

Re: Gauge on Sunbeam EM6910

When you find the sweet spot mark the grinder with a suitable marker.

What is it about this obsession that keeps you thinking "I can do better"?
                              I think you answered that one yourself when you made the best coffee yet. We are always trying to improve our brew.

Comment

Working...
                              X