X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie - Vibiemme Domobar Levetta

Hi All,
    24hrs in with new Vibiemme Domobar Levetta

Background - old Krups type 885 for ~10 years, slowing down, (nearly 4 mins to steam milk for 2 x Lattes) - wanting to upgrade.  Krups BTW never skipped a beat, super reliable.   Friend has Elektra Microcasa - exotic, fantastic looking, not really our scene though.  Practical choice would have been Rancilio Silvia though steam performance of the VBM convinced us to spend the extra.   Considered the Sunbeam 6910 but really worried about long term longeivity.

First few coffees - great espresso, milk very easy to steam, easily as tasty as the best cafe coffee we can remember.

Questions
    1 - when using the double PF, the cup on the LHS has around 20% more fluid than RHS - am I packing/tamping the wrong way?
    2 - Im grinding a full level PF worth of beans fresh each time, works fine for double shot, though single shot is overloaded, cant even get the PF onto the head - too much grounds - should I use much less for a single? (bought a second handle to avoid swapping PF back and forth all the time).
    3 - Pressure gauge is on around 10.5 during draw, and coffee is oozing out like delicious honey - is this pressure about right.

Anyway, planning to get some further tuition, maybe a in-home visit to get the technique up to scratch.

Thanks for the welcome Andy!
    B

Re: Newbie - Vibiemme Domobar Levetta

Originally posted by bjskdmunro link=1208671067/0#0 date=1208671067
    Hi All,
    24hrs in with new Vibiemme Domobar Levetta

Background - old Krups type 885 for ~10 years, slowing down, (nearly 4 mins to steam milk for 2 x Lattes) - wanting to upgrade.  Krups BTW never skipped a beat, super reliable.   Friend has Elektra Microcasa - exotic, fantastic looking, not really our scene though.  Practical choice would have been Rancilio Silvia though steam performance of the VBM convinced us to spend the extra.   Considered the Sunbeam 6910 but really worried about long term longeivity.

First few coffees - great espresso, milk very easy to steam, easily as tasty as the best cafe coffee we can remember.
    Hi bjsk and welcome :-)

Questions
    1 - when using the double PF, the cup on the LHS has around 20% more fluid than RHS - am I packing/tamping the wrong way?
    2 - Im grinding a full level PF worth of beans fresh each time, works fine for double shot, though single shot is overloaded, cant even get the PF onto the head - too much grounds - should I use much less for a single? (bought a second handle to avoid swapping PF back and forth all the time).
    3 - Pressure gauge is on around 10.5 during draw, and coffee is oozing out like delicious honey - is this pressure about right.
    1- This can occur withthe VBM and the domestic spout. Some change it to a pro spout which can help. We sold one where the group was slightly off-centre and needed adjustment. Its another thing I check these days as part of a bench test.

2- Id recommend that you learn the double and then adjust your technique for the single. They are much harder to dose consistently and many cafes and CSers for that matter dont use a single.

3- What youd like is about 9.0 bar at the group using a portafilter pressure gauge. We set new machines to 9.5bar as the pump will bed in a touch. The gauge displays system pressure which will generally be somewhat higher.

Anyway, planning to get some further tuition, maybe a in-home visit to get the technique up to scratch.

Thanks for the welcome Andy!
    B
    Good idea to have someone check what youre doing. Enjoy the ride!

regards

Chris

Comment

Hi bj......

Welcome to CS!

I have owned a Levetta since October last year, and have the same slight effect with my machines domestic spout.

For your information, the pressure gauge on my machine reads 11.0
      during extraction.

You have made a good choice, in my opinion, and I wish you many years of enjoyment from your new machine

Trevorbeans

Comment

Thanks Trevor,
        I think I may be returning the second PF handle I bought for singles and adapting for singles from the double PF.

Appreciate the welcome and best wishes, I feel I made the right choice also, keep smiling every time I see the machine.
        Regards
        Bruce

Comment

Hi bjsk and welcome.

RE: the spout. Ive fitted pro spout from Coffeeparts as I had the same problem as you. Now I get even pours, and they look and pour much better. The part is spouts-511672-A in case youre interested. Ordered it and it arrived the next day, excellent service from Coffeeparts.

I never bother with the single basket. If I dont feel like a double, Ill just drink half of it, or grind finer and make a double ristretto.

The levetta is a great machine and you have made a great choice. Gotta love that little lever on the magical e-61 group.

Javabeen.

Comment

Hi Javabeen,

How did u remove the existing spout off the pf? From the pictures on coffeeparts it looks like its just twist on.
            I tried twisting the stock spout off the pf but its too tight. Dont wanna break anything....just got the machine yesterday.

Cheers

Comment

Hi Folks,
              Just an update, four months or so in with the VBM, and we LOVE this machine.      Be it a couple of kikstart expressos in the morning, multiple lattes in the day, or hot chocolates for the kids, the machine is making 4-12 cups of "something" every day.  We went away for a couple of weeks and the pump "sounded" different for a couple of days, then came good - Ill mark that down to "sunspot" activity - maybe some air in the system?, the pressure is perfect - around the 9 to 9.5 bar.

The dosing difference between the spouts is a non issue now - Ive found that consistent pressure on tamping is a key, and mostly the pours are even, or marginally out, so wont go the pro-spout yet.

The fun now, of course as were getting into it is playing with different beans - what a difference they make.

Also highly recommend the bodum double wall glasses, they really improve the experience, especially for an espresso shot, looking at the gorgeous crema layer just makes me drool. :-*

Thanks for keeping in touch CSers, Ill only be a light poster, but the system works well.

Im sure most of you have found the vibiemme site in Italy, but just in case, the animations here are fantastic!       http://www.lavibiemme.it/

Cheers
              BJSKD

Comment

I had the same problem. I ended up buying the 511672 (not the "-A") from coffeeparts a few weeks ago thinking that you could adjust it horizontally. I later found out the screw just allows you to take the cover off the top of the spout.  Ooops...   Despite that, the problem with it is that when you screw it onto the Levetta portafilter, it ends up facing the wrong way when tight and the threads will not allow you to turn it the extra 180 degrees needed. If you turn it less 180 degrees it ends up being too loose. I ended up putting the stock one back on.  Perhaps the "-A" is different.

Originally posted by javabeen link=1208671067/0#4 date=1208954708
                Hi bjsk and welcome.

RE: the spout. Ive fitted pro spout from Coffeeparts as I had the same problem as you. Now I get even pours, and they look and pour much better. The part is spouts-511672-A in case youre interested. Ordered it and it arrived the next day, excellent service from Coffeeparts.

I never bother with the single basket. If I dont feel like a double, Ill just drink half of it, or grind finer and make a double ristretto.

The levetta is a great machine and you have made a great choice. Gotta love that little lever on the magical e-61 group.

Javabeen.

Comment

Originally posted by Buschy link=1208671067/0#7 date=1220229876
                  Despite that, the problem with it is that when you screw it onto the Levetta portafilter, it ends up facing the wrong way when tight and the threads will not allow you to turn it the extra 180 degrees needed. If you turn it less 180 degrees it ends up being too loose. I ended up putting the stock one back on.  Perhaps the "-A" is different.
                  Try wraping some teflon tape around the thread on the portafilta before you screw the spout on. Youll probably have to wrap it around 8-10 times to get the spouts facing the right way.

Cheers,

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by g00se link=1208671067/0#8 date=1220243652
                    Try wraping some teflon tape around the thread on the portafilta before you screw the spout on. Youll probably have to wrap it around 8-10 times to get the spouts facing the right way.
                    Or..... You could visit your local Repco or other Auto Centre and buy a couple of O-Rings, either 9mm or [ch8540]". Just need to make sure that theyre suitable for high temp operation,

Cheers,
                    Mal.

Comment

Yes the spouts are tight to fit, but the pf has one hefty thread on it and its a big chunk of metal so it can take being "pushed".

I basically just fitted the new spout to the pf and tightened it as much as I could by hand. I then wedged the spout of the pf in a vice/adjustable work benches and then gently twisted the pf until I got it where I wanted.

Ive sinced removed and put the spout back on with no damage to the pf. thread or spout.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need more info.

Happy spouting,
                      Javabeen.

Comment

Working...
                      X