VBM domobar levetta

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VBM domobar levetta

Iv had my Vibiemme Domobar levetta for just over a month now and couldnt be happier.
    Im an espresso only drinker so, the VBM being a single dual boiler was not a deterrence in the purchasing factor, plus e-61 group head and its thermal stability properties one me over.

The shots that come out of this machine are just so dame good. after the first mandatory big flush and a good warm up the first espresso that was puled by this machine was almost perfect, mmmm. I was prepared to do a lot of dialing in and lots of waisted coffee in the process, so to my delight this was very minimal. Now all thats needed are just a few grind adjustments and it good to go every morning and arvo.The e-61 group heads are very forgiving so this might be hiding/assisting in my technics, but its the coffee that counts and thats coming out oh so good.

My question to fellow VBM levetta/vashetta users is, what are the ways and technicts you use to do the full circle of milk based coffees. I was very aware about single boiler lag time, so are there any cheats you can employ to go from espresso to steeming or vice versa. My gf has milk base drinks and she only has one a day so I dont get to practice switching all that much. guess Im trying to see if there are cheats to make this process quicker.

My technic is to press the steam button strait after the extraction, bleed the wand and wait till light turns off, bleed some more and then stretch the milk.

any advice would be appreciated
    thanks, Rancho.

heres a pic of my set up.

Re: VBM domobar levetta

Hi Rancho,

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to the Domobar Levett club!

Ive had a Levetta since last Oct and, as you, I could not be happier with my purchase.

Unlike you, I only make milk-based coffees, capps, lattes, chai lattes and white chocs.

My tip for commencement of steaming is, when you have finished your shot, purge the steam wand to get rid of excess water, before you press the steaming button, then press the steaming button, wait till 2 bars of pressure, then purge the wand again until relatively dry steam appears.

Let the pressure build up to at least 3 bars, then begin steaming BEFORE the boiler light goes out. That will ensure the boiler stays on
    for the whole time while you are steaming your milk.

When you begin steaming the milk, place the wand just under the surface, listen for the ch ch ch sound, and adjust the position of the wand relative to the milk if necessary. Keep the wand near vertical as you can and introduce the steam gradually and build up from there, positioning the wand to achieve the maximum tumbling action of the milk, not spinning or swirling, as in some others.

When you have reached between 20 and 30 degrees, depending on how much froth you need, raise the jug so that the whole tip is below the surface of the milk, and stop heating when the milk is hot enough for you.

Thatll give you a start. Good luck..

Regards

Trevorbeans

Comment

I use a *slightly* different pre/post steam procedure:
      Make the coffee and immediately hit the steam button.
      Remove the portafilter, run the pump for a couple of seconds to clean the head.
      Knock out the puck and clean the basket, and re-insert portafilter into the head.
      By this time the pressure is up to 2-4 bar, so I purge the steam wand into a heatproof glass. The pressure drops. Close the steam valve.
      Steam the milk as soon as the pressure is above 2 bar.
      (I do not wait for the heating light to go out.)
      Turn off the steam button. Purge the steam wand and then re-fill the boiler by hitting the hot water button until water comes out of the wand.
      Close the steam valve.
      Drink.
      Greg

Comment

Just out of curiosity, how long (rough estimate in seconds) does it take for a Levetta to transition between espresso-brewing temperatures to steaming temperatures?

Comment

I can go from brewing to steaming in the time it takes me to do the above.
          Hang on for a few minutes, Ill go have another coffee and time it for you.
          Greg

45 seconds from hitting the steam button, to actually putting the wand in the milk jug and beginning the frothing.
          Greg

Comment

Originally posted by GregWormald link=1210423459/0#4 date=1210475458
            I can go from brewing to steaming in the time it takes me to do the above.
            Hang on for a few minutes, Ill go have another coffee and time it for you.
            Greg

45 seconds from hitting the steam button, to actually putting the wand in the milk jug and beginning the frothing.
            Greg
            Thanks for measuring it! Thats quite impressive!

Comment

Welcome to the Levetta club.

Im mainly an espresso drinker (2 or 3 a day), and I have a latte in the morning.

My procedure for my morning latte is similar to Gregs...
              brew shot
              remove pf and run pump to clean group head
              knock puck out from pf and rinse pf under running water from group. stop pump
              open steam valve slowly to purge water from wand
              hit steam switch with steam valve open to purge any left over water
              close steam valve when wand stops to splatter (approx 20-30 secs
              get jug from fridge and fill with milk
              start steaming when pressure is above 2 bar
              purge wand after steaming
              turn off steam switch
              pour latte
              re-fill the boiler by hitting the hot water button until water comes out of the wand. I do this into a large frothing pitcher and immerse the wand into it for an extra bit of a clean.

Takes about 45secs to a minute to do, but I dont really notice as I enjoy the ritual.

Oh, and I replaced the steam tip on my wand with the 2 hole one from coffeeparts. This is because mine came with the 4 hole tip. I blocked 3 holes however the angle of the hole was still crap. Now I get amazing micro foam that you can pour latte art with no dramas if you wanted to. The holes are also smaller so works a treat!

Happy brewing.

Comment

Hi javabean,

Im curious as to how you ended up with the 4 hole tip when you purchased you new Levetta.

Back in October, mine came with the 2 hole Vibiemme tip, and when I was on the phone to ECA at the time they confirmed that all new Levettas were being fitted with the 2 hole tip in replacement of the
                previous 4 hole tip. My Vibiemme 2 hole works a treat. I dont suppose you have compared the VBM 2 hole agains the Coffeeparts 2 hole?

Just curious....

Regards

Trevorbeans

Comment

Im curious as to how you guys get good microfoam with the two hole tip.

Although i have had pretty good results with microfoam from tumbling, Whirlpooling made my milk a touch silkier.

Also, by the looks of the coffeeparts two hole tip, the holes angled relatively vertical to each other. I am thinking of buying one as well.

Java. how are the angles of the steam holes on the two hole steam tip from coffeeparts? are you able to whirlpool the milk or is it more of a tumbling action?

Comment

Nice one all, thanks for the advice.

Im sometimes a little lazy when I write so I didnt add that I do close the steam valve strait after the first bleed. So after reading though it, I know now that I SHOULDNT wait till the light goes off to start steaming. what I should do is, purge the excess water (close the valve) and then just waiting till the pressure hits about 2 bar to steam, with the inclusion of the finer details discussed. This should now cut out so much time off the procedure, sweet! now to get this going in 45 sec all the time, I cant wait. Its going to be much more enjoyable to for the misses and I in the morning now.

Hi javabeen, I did the same as you and bought the 2 hole tip from coffeeparts. To cut long story short, didnt let that stupid 4 hole tip get to me so just practiced till I got good micro foam (lots of waisted milk in the process). I just use the 2 hole tip now because off the small amount off milk that gets used. When friends are over and more milk is needed then I switch back to the 4 hole tip because its faster. Im still trying to understand why its such a bad tip and a good machine! what are the fellow Levetta club members thoughts and experiences on the steam tip?

Oh, knowing that all our machines a bit different, what do your pressure gauges read on optimum extraction? my one runs a bit high, its at 13 to 14.

Thanks again for the advice and the warm welcome.
                    Rancho.

Is 12:00 at night to late for a lattes? maybe i should wait till the morning to try this out.

Comment

Oops, be kind Im a newbie.
                      posted that twice by accident.

Fixed

Mal.

Comment

TB, dont know, if Chris from Talk Coffee is reading this, maybe he can tell us...I got my machine in Jan this year from him...
                        And nope, I havent compared the 2 hole VBM tip to the 2 hole coffeeparts tip. The Cofffeeparts one has much smaller holes though so is ideal for smaller quantities fo milk, say for 2 lattes.

Gavin,
                        The angles on the Coffeeparts 2 hole tip are at 15degrees. They tumble the milk, they dont whirlpool. You do get very good microfoam from it though.

Rancho,
                        I found the 4 hole tip OK for larger quantities of milk. Ive had good results with 600+ml jugs, but its not good for smaller jugs. Its because the 4 hole tips blow almost horizontal so in a small jug, thy are blowing the milk across a very small surface area and you cant tumble/whirl/spin the milk, at least thats what I reckon!
                        I had the holes silver soldered and I redrilled them too large and didnt get the angles right. So I gave up on it a $14 dollars is not much for the 2 hole tip from coffeeparts.

My gauge reads about 12 when I brew, but I dont look at it when brewing. Gotta go, got a sleepy 3yr old on my shoulder.

Javabeen.

Comment

I just received the coffeeparts tips.

Thing is the tips doesnt screw all the way up the wand so ill need to find a way to stop steam leaking.

so far, the two hole tip from coffeeparts is much easier to work with on the VBM.

maybe some of those white rubber pipe tapes? but i doubt theyll withstand the heat.

rubbery milk...mmm

Comment

Gavin,

That white "pipe thread tape" is teflon...... it starts to degrade (not melt - just give off gases) at 250C....

If your steam wand gets that hot - you have a problem - a BIG problem!!!!

Comment

yea...I sorta noticed it when I purged the wand....
                              hmm.....i need a thick THICK washer

Comment

Working...
                              X