Silvia uneven pour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silvia uneven pour

My Silvia has much stronger flow out of one side of the PF than the other, more noticeable now that Ive started some new coffee that needs a less fine grind than the last batch (i.e., on the same grind as before, the pour is a lot slower). While its plausible that I am not tamping totally evenly it would be odd if this so consistently caused one side to have so much slower a flow.

Could the PF be unevenly shaped? Are there any known tricks for correcting this? The dealer I bought it from during his presale discussion claimed that some have addressed this problem (not knowing I had the issue) by filing out the side that has the slower flow.

Re: Silvia uneven pour

Im experiencing the same thing with my domobar. the left cup ends up with more than the right.

When I pull shots with my naked PF with the same techniques, pour is straight down the middle.

No idea why. I tried raising one side of my machine. Sorta fixed this problem but now it looks spastic.

Gav

Comment

It is common with Silvia, there have been heaps of posts on this subject and remedies, eg: filing out, is machine on level surface etc.
      I drink doubles so I havent bothered too much about it.

Comment

Im under the impression that uneven pours from spouts is usually due to gravity rather than anything else seeing as the pour gathers into a small recess before coming out of the spouts. So whether there is channeling or not out of the filter basket, it all gets funneled down to the recess and then out of the spouts so Id have thought that the uneven pours are due to the machine not absolutely level or when the PF locks in, the PF is not absolutely level.

Comment

Originally posted by greenman link=1211074648/0#2 date=1211077079
          It is common with Silvia, there have been heaps of posts on this subject and remedies, eg: filing out, is machine on level surface etc.
          I drink doubles so I havent bothered too much about it.
          Found them, thanks -- just a matter of extending the search parameters further back in time (much of the activity was in 2007).

Comment

could you link it philip?

Comment

Originally posted by Gavin1 link=1211074648/0#5 date=1211088735
              could you link it philip?
              Here you go:
              http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1205897391/5
              http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1201397766/12
              http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1183296412/7
              http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1182334969/34
              http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1176385982/6#6

Biggest issue: making sure everything is level. There are also suggestions or replacing the spouts.

Mine is slow on the left; I dont know if this is coincidence but the only person who mentioned a side also mentioned the left. Could it be that a right-handed tamp is uneven in that direction if you arent careful?

Comment

I have owned a Silvia now for four months and had the same problem with uneven pours.

I ended up replacing the spout with a commercial one (see pic attached) and now both ends of the spouts are dead level and my pours are equal out of each spout.

The downside though is that the height between the tray and spout is reduced by a few millimeters but this is only an issue if you use tall cups.

A very worthwhile $10 investment.

Comment

Im finding it extremely hard to unscrew my spout... anyone else have this same problem? I too have a slightly uneven pour - more to right though. With naked pf, if I do get channeling, it is to the left, so it shouldnt really be my tamping technique...

Comment

The spout is really screwed on tight. I had to put it into a vice to get it off.

This is how I did it....

1.Mount the spout in the vice with a cloth around it to protect it.
                    2.Using the handle of the portafilter as a lever turn the handle anticlockwise and it will come off.

Comment

After reading a post from Mal about unscrewing the spout by heating the attachment point on the PF with a heatgun, I gave it a go.

Unfortunately, I only had a stove lighter and spent 15 minutes heating the PF.

Probably got the PF to body temperature lol

Comment

[QUOTE=philipmach link=1211074648/0#6 date=1211096832Biggest issue: making sure everything is level. There are also suggestions or replacing the spouts.

Mine is slow on the left; I dont know if this is coincidence but the only person who mentioned a side also mentioned the left. Could it be that a right-handed tamp is uneven in that direction if you arent careful?[/QUOTE]

Thats a good point PM.
                        If you rotate the PF by 180deg [so the handle is at 12:00 rather than 6:00] when you next tamp you can test that theory.
                        Whilst youre at it, if you lightly rest the handle of your PF on your finger, any uneven pressure will be obvious.

Comment

I used to have this problem really badly. But since getting a pullman and a rigless basket it is very minimal if at all. Dont ask my why. I have the same routine. Grind/WDT/level/Tamp. It could possibly be to do with the fact that the tamper has rings on it to make it very easy to make sure it is level and the fact that i get a much better seal with a fitted tamper. But that is just my theory.

J

Comment

Originally posted by U4koffee link=1211074648/0#7 date=1211096971
                            I ended up replacing the spout with a commercial one (see pic attached) and now both ends of the spouts are dead level and my pours are equal out of each spout.
                            U4koffee, does the screw on the front of that spout allow you to adjust the level? Im looking for a replacement spout to help even out pours that result from a slightly uneven grouphead. Ive found a spout on CoffeeParts that has adjustable flow, but getting a spout I could manually level would be even better.

Another alternative is to replace the Silvia legs is with some adjustable ones or installing a thin washer under my front right leg to bring it back to level.

Comment

Last Mile,

No the screw on the front of the spout only holds a cover in place, it does not allow you to adjust any angle.

If your checking out spouts from coffee parts [or anyone else] first measure the height of your original spouts [ie the distance between the tip and the bottom of the PF]

Many of the spouts available may be too long [ie they will drop down too far preventing access for inserting a cup]

Comment

Working...
                              X