Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Owners of sunbeam 6910 what do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Owners of sunbeam 6910 what do you think?

Hi All,
    I am thinking of purchasing one of these machines. I would be intrested to hear what the owners of this machine think.
    I have heard it is noisy (so loud that 2 people cant talk next to each other.
    Can you get good coffee out of it and your general impressions.
    Thanks for your time.
    Regards
    Crisp Image

Re: Owners of sunbeam 6910 what do you think?

Welcome Crisp. I have had my EM6910 for a year and a half...very good machine and outstanding for making multiple milk coffees - nothing short of double or triple the price will do it. It also makes nice shots, but if you enjoy straight espresso then its just pipped in taste by the Silvia.

There are many many threads about the EM on this site...and plenty of happy owners. There is also the comparo thread with the Silvia and the Greg Pullman test if you search.

Its noisy but not a problem I think. You can talk next to each other with it going - the steam thermoblock is a lot quieter than the brew head one.

Cheers

Comment

Gday Crisp

Yes it can be noisy, and sometimes quite noisy. I find I can talk to people when Im making them a coffee, but you might raise your voice a bit.

Overall, Im very happy with my machine. I do think you can get good coffee out of it. Most of my drinks are milk based - normally a piccolo latte. I enjoy the dual themoblock, as I find myself making coffees for groups of people

Welcome to the CS community !

Regards
      Chris

Comment

Welcome to Coffee Snobs Crisp Image.

You will find lots of answers here and possibly a lot more questions.

Yes the 6910 is noisy but you arent using it for long.

I have been using one at work for the last 6.5 months and thats given it an above average use test.

I was one on the side of saying it can make a decent coffee if paired with a goos grinder.
        I started with the Sunbeam 0450 but soon retired it due to its noise and mess caused by static.

With the MDF griner since then its been good making my own coffee at work.

Unfortunately its now developing signs of wear.

I changed the group seal yesterday due to it leaking but now its leaking even more.
        I think the group head is worn.
        Thats not acceptable in my opinion.
        Sunbeam carry on in the instruction manual about being inspired by commercial equipment and quality etc, but push comes to shove and its all marketing hype.

In a domestic situation it may last 2 to 3 years before reaching the same level of wear as this machine but is $600 worth throwing away in that time?

I own an Expobar Leva which is now almost 2 years old.

In that time Ive only had to replace the group seal twice and recently I acquired a power switch to replace the original because it has lost a lug.
        Total spend of less than $20 and it hasnt skipped a beat.

I still think the 6910 makes a good coffee, while its working, its just that I dont know how long they will keep on working.

If you have the budget for a better quality machine, then think long term cost and go for something else.

EDIT: spelling

Comment

If you enjoy Espesso (short blacks), then the Sunbeam will disappoint... I still find the Sunbeam does sour espresso... no matter what I do...

As TG says, if you can afford to buy a better quality, then I suggest you do this. If not, then the Sunbeam at its price point is the only machine - other than a Gaggia Classic - but you have Aluminum to deal with, and poor steam performance due to the small boiler size...

Comment

I would have to agree with all of the comments above... in general.

Unfortunately you have a limited choice when it comes to making good coffee and you want something to last...

1: The machine is only 1/2 the issue, the grinder is also as important.
            2: How many and what types of coffee you want to make is a major consideration.

A: With a good grinder and some understanding of the machine (even $60 specials) you can get a reasonable coffee.

B: If you want something that will allow two or more coffees to be made with out fuss, then your looking at the Sunbeam 6910 or something significantly more expensive.

Mine is 16months old and it has not failed once, not too noisy, can make a good espresso or milk based drink and has had an average of at least 10 to 16 cops made almost every day. My home has heavy coffee drinkers, let alone when friends come over...

* For the price of this unit and the EM 0480 (No static - I used a different method to collect the grind) I have been very happy; however t does not mean that others have had the same run for their money. Have had more issues with understanding and getting the Em 0480 to behave.

Would I buy another one - YES If you do the maths and look at the convenience etc it has been worth while for me....

Would I like to have a more commercial type systems YES - I would need a better grinder, but space and $$ for a new one coffee unit would not stand a chance of getting past the budget review and holder of the bank account. LOTTO is my only hope.

Would I have a Silvia - NO Personal reasons around ease of use for other family members and when having to make 4 or more coffee in one sitting etc.

Comment

AngerManagement makes a good point.

Having gone through the "OMG what should I buy" scenario only recently, the absolute stand out bang for buck quality of the 6910 was (is) its ability to make multiple cups of coffee in a relatively short time. When comparing reviews etc I got the "feeling" that there were other machines that could produce a better short black, but the budget had to expand by LOTS to capture both "better" espresso AND speed of delivery for multiple cups of milk coffee.

It helped me when it was suggested I start with "mainly black coffee of mainly milk?", then "only ever 1 or 2, or reasonably often more than 2?" Those two questions really start narrowing the field. Place a budget constraint over the top and the choice of machine "almost" gets made for you. The only thing that buggers it up is "get the best grinder you can afford"

Comment

Originally posted by Crisp image link=1215690892/0#0 date=1215690892
                Hi All,
                I am thinking of purchasing one of these machines. I would be intrested to hear what the owners of this machine think.
                I have heard it is noisy (so loud that 2 people cant talk next to each other.
                Can you get good coffee out of it and your general impressions.
                Thanks for your time.
                Regards
                Crisp Image

Of course you could talk to one another.

Its just that you may not be able to pick up what the other is saying

IMO, the machine is very loud for only a few seconds ~10s during preinfusion and the initial stages of the pour. Once the pressure builds up it quiets down substantially.

The steaming function is not nearly as loud as the initial 10s of the pour and conversation is easily maintained during steaming.

Comment

I absolutely love my EM6910. I am sure there are better coffee machines out there, but none of the ones in any of the local cafes make a better coffee (or maybe its the person behind the machines).

Double (well, tripple) shot into ACF108 (300ml) based latte for me is excquisite.

I cant comment on the qualities of its espresso only, as I dont drink that (in general) so am unsure if what I am meant to taste. I know when I do try it, it gives me a heck of a shot (buzz) in the front of my head.

I dont have an issue with the noise of the machine, its just one more excuse to use with the Mrs "sorry dear, I didnt hear that"........

Comment

I am happy with my 6910. Had it for 4 months now. As I make milk based drinks the ability to steam and pour shots at the same time is a plus.
                    This is my first entry into coffee machines so I admit having come off a low base (instant and sachet mixes...yuk).
                    From reading CS threads there are a lot of good machines out there such as Silvia, Expobar etc but for value for money the 6910 is not a bad option. I purchased an extended warranty for it so when it eventually dies and is not under warranty I will upgrade.

Comment

Thank you to all who gave me their opinions. We have purchased the Em6910 and a EM0480 grinder. There are a few trials and errors yet to be sorted out but like the salesman said to me "the first 30 coffees will not be too good" So it is time to experiment some more.
                      Regards
                      Crisp Image

Comment

The salesman was talking through his hat.

I have experience making coffee and when the 6900 was replaced with a 6910 the first 2 coffees were not so good.

Did he say why?

Comment

He was only sugesting that it could take some time to get it right and not to be dissapointed at my first one and chuck it in the shed never to se the ligth of day. I have now had quite a few coffees from it and there are some good and bad ones. I have to work on my consistance and still trying grind settings and ammounts.
                          Regards
                          CI

Comment

Hi CI congrats on your purchase, I own and love my Silvia but recently my son wanted to purchase a new espresso machine, he is an impatient person and likes instant gratification so I definitely told him Silvia was not for him, I suggested the EM6910 after reading so many good reports from Sunbeam fans on CS, he has had it for a couple of months now and loves it, sounds like a jackhammer when it starts up but he loves it for ease of use and the speed of being able to make a coffee when required.
                            Im sure you will get great pleasure out of your new equipment.
                            cheers.....................gm

Comment

Ive had my 6910 and 0480 for just over 18 months and theyve been a fantastic addition to my kitchen. I havent touched instant since and will only drink tea when its offered.

I found it took a bit of tweaking with the settings (both the grinder and the 6910) to get my pours right, but had a great time learning to get things right. I also found this site an absolute wealth of knowledge with issues to do with the finesse side of making espresso. Dont hesitate to ask questions here either because I guarantee that someone will provide you with information. The CS site advanced me so much quicker than nature would have! Im sure youll improve your skills as time goes on and truly become a coffee snob when you buy a gourmet coffee from a cafe and know you can make a better one at home.

Enjoy your new toy/s

Saambo

Comment

Working...
                              X