Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Miss Silvia and a Bodum Antigua, good idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miss Silvia and a Bodum Antigua, good idea?

Hello fellow snobs,
    Have worked out where this years tax return cheque is going, on a new coffee machine

Ive got strong preference towards miss Silvia, thanks to the positive words I always hear about them. My only issue is with my current grinder and whether it would be up to grinding for Silvia

At the moment I grind rather finely for plunger and get very good results, when I bought the grinder the shop owner tested it with his Giotto commercial machine and the shots ran slow and burned, obvously a good sign the grind was too fine, we had to back it off a bit

If the antigua might not be up to scratch, what would I be better off getting, I noticed on the coffee-a-roma site they have a package with the Silvia and Rocky. The rocky is the obvious choice to match to Silvia, any other grinder suggestions?

And my final question, are they any retails stores that sell Silvia, as id rather be able to go into a shop and talk to someone and see the machine in the flesh, rather than just photos online of it?

Im located in Camberwell, Melbourne

Re: Miss Silvia and a Bodum Antigua, good idea?

Originally posted by phrostyboi link=1218283573/0#0 date=1218283572
    And my final question, are they any retails stores that sell Silvia, as id rather be able to go into a shop and talk to someone and see the machine in the flesh, rather than just photos online of it?Im located in Camberwell, Melbourne
    Yep, click on the TalkCoffee link on the list of sponsors at left. They sell Silvias and you will be able to try before you buy

Comment

Flynnaus -- are you sure?
      Chris told me he thought Rancilio were too low margin and he would rather avoid them (??)

Comment

Originally posted by simone link=1218283573/0#2 date=1218355242
        Flynnaus -- are you sure?
        Chris told me he thought Rancilio were too low margin and he would rather avoid them (??)
        easily checked, Simone. ... yep, Chris has "Rancilio Silvia with PID" in his impressive line-up of shiny gear!

considering the discounts he passes on to CS members it is a surprise he has any margin left on any of his sales :P

L

Comment

Well I did say "would rather avoid" not "wouldnt touch with a bargepole".

Shrug.

Comment

phrostiboy,

Firstly,
            From my own experience I would have no hesitation in recommending a Silvia.

On Grinders:

A quick google on the Bodum Antigua revelaed the following reviews: and overall they are not highly enthusiastic when used for espresso.

http://coffeegeek.com/reviews/grinders/bodum_antigua_grinder

Yes you need a good grinder: that a Rocky will do the job [and well] is a no brainer, but here are other grinder options and features and asthetics to consider.

You could also look at Iberital challenge [$300ish] or something like a compak K3 [$500ish]....some feel the compak is better value than the rocky. Also there is the Ascaso and Ascaso mini [priced betweent the Iberital and the Rocky IIRC]

The best bet is to see them in the flesh and talk to someone who knows and has used them.

Like others here, I can recommend Chris at Talk Coffee.

Comment

Have been exchanging a few emails with Chris today actually, says the Ascaso mini would work nicely with miss Silvia

Im certainly spending more than I wanted to if I go ahead with this, but I always knew the grinder might need to be upgraded, itll go back home with the parents and my old Sunbeam

Comment

Phrostyboi - I too have decided that the ATO is going to buy me a Miss Sylvia. I have already acquired a Rocky, so that part of the decision is made. I have been wondering if there is any other competitive machine that I should be considering for my $820. Mine will only be a weekend warrior for a few years until I retire, but I am looking forward to an upgrade on the plunger that I have been persevering with for so long. I would welcome any thoughts from others about the choice of the Sylvia - dont want to spend much more than this. I reside in Rockhampton which is half way up the Queensland Coast and therefore any machine I buy will be coming from Brisbane.

Comment

Hi Rocky- Silvia is a great machine for the price and the build quality and brass components sold me on her as a long term option.
                  Once you master the variables she makes a great espresso and paired with your Rocky and freshly roasted beans you will have your friends and neighbours lining up for your coffees!!!

Comment

Looks like im probably going to go the Rocky - Silvia route, bye bye tax refund for this year

Comment

Took the plunge thanks to Chris at talk coffee

Cant wait to get my hands on this gear now, looking forward to it

Comment

And my final question, are they any retails stores that sell Silvia, as id rather be able to go into a shop and talk to someone and see the machine in the flesh, rather than just photos online of it?

Im located in Camberwell, Melbourne
                        Suggest you familiarise yourself with the Site Sales and Posting Policy "Spildabeans".... Unsolicited NON Site Sponsor contact information is NOT permitted.

Policy can be found here... http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1115338528

CS Moderator.

Comment

Working...
                        X