X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EM6900 group seal replacement

Hi All,

Ive read many posts on this site but first time poster  

I have a 2 year old EM 6900.  The other month the handle started moving to the left while pulling a shot, and then it started popping off entirely.  Not knowing much I didnt think much of it and kept using the machine (just holding the handle in place!) until water and coffee grounds started spewing out over the top.  I figured it was the group seal so had a feel with my fingertips and sure enough...there was a massive crack and a chunk missing.

Ive got a new group seal (a nice blue one, to replace the old black one), but am having trouble removing the shower screen to replace the seal.  Ive seen similar posts on here before but really just need some simple instructions on removing the shower screen and old seal.  mine seems really stuck...

cheers   ;D

P.S. Pictures help!!!

Re: EM6900 group seal replacement

Hi

I actually did this on the weekend - to replace the seal.

You need a short handle philips screwdriver, to undo the screw in the middle of the shower screen. I think I just pried off the shower head using the back of my group head brush (something plastic and not too hard).

Two plates come out.

I then tried to pull out the old seal and failed miserably. It was really stuck in.
    Ended up turning the whole machine upside down (after removing drip tray and water tank) to pull it out.

Managed to get the seal out, replace it and put the shower screens back in after a good clean.

Machine is working well.

I have no idea if this was the right way to do it. Sunbeam tell you not to do it without speaking to them, but it worked and I have not had any issues.

Anyone else have any thoughts???

Ben

Comment

There was a thread on this some time ago but I cant find it. It looks like someone has been cleaning up the old threads. :-?

Comment

LOL...its still stuck...clearly requires some brute force!

At the moment just trying to pry the shower cap off (using a plastic utensil), right at the base, where there is rubber still left over from my group seal LOL...

Will keep trying!!!

Comment

ok...snapped several utensils...and bent two screwdrivers...shes stuck GOOD

would this work better if I turned the achine on for a little and heated up the seal or something???

lol seems silly that I cant just get the damn shower cap off

Comment

A little heat should not hurt.  But watch the fingers  

modified the spelling - Cant spell

Comment

ehehheheh thanks for your concern!  

no burnt fingers, but shower cap still firmly attached.  Ahh well...will just keep randomly attacking it until it loosens I guess!   :-?

Comment

Run it on manual for a cup full then try again. Heat should soften it a little. Leave the portafilter in loosely so some water is forced over the seal.

Comment

Originally posted by Meeks18 link=1218438975/0#6 date=1218447575
                  ehehheheh thanks for your concern!  

no burnt fingers, but shower cap still firmly attached.  Ahh well...will just keep randomly attacking it until it loosens I guess!   :-?  
                  In desperation....   Power off and un plug...Remove the water tank... and the drain tray.

Lay it on the side etc and use a torch... I had to get a screwdriver into the screw hole and with some steady  flexing all comes out OK...

Just remember the way it all goes back :-)

With your new seal... it is a mix of pre assemble or one at a time...

Be gentle when doing up the screw ( do not force it)  then take care when testing it out and again don not force it...  You should be about mid way if all is OK.

If you can not get it to there, then its not in right and you can tare the NEW seal..

Keep us informed.

Comment

OK...so I have finally managed to remove the shower cap and installed the new seal...but now I have to push the handle way around to the right when trying to pull a shot...and coffee still leaks out...there appears to still be a leak

take it into repair guys? what do you think the prob is now???

Comment

its like the seal sits too high up in the machine...so the PF just kind of sits loosly in there...

repair guys? or take it out and re-screw it all in?

Comment

Got me - Is the seal in the right way around (I know a silly question but might save dollars.) :-[

Comment

lol not a silly question at all... Ill check when get home. But Im fairly certain its in the right way

will un screw the lot and put it all back together and see what happens...otherwise take it down to the repair shop I guess

Comment

nope...seal is defintely the right way around. but water just spews out the top whenever i try and pull a shot. I also have to pull the PF round a lot further to the right than I used to. Its almost like the seal is not thick enough... or like it needs and extra mil of rubber between the machine and where the pf sits...

hmmm...ring sunbeam?

Comment

Originally posted by Meeks18 link=1218438975/0#13 date=1218598424
                              nope...seal is defintely the right way around.  but water just spews out the top whenever i try and pull a shot.  I also have to pull the PF round a lot further to the right than I used to.  Its almost like the seal is not thick enough... or like it needs and extra mil of rubber between the machine and where the pf sits...

hmmm...ring sunbeam?
                              As your using a EM6900 aand they did have a problem with HEAD bolts.... I would be calling them ASAP.

Let us know how you get on.

Comment

Working...
                              X