Is the EM6910 that bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the EM6910 that bad?

Sorry for my first post title being potentially offensive - and , yes, I have read through pretty much all the 6910 threads but am still unclear.

I have an old Krups machine - dont have the number, but bought it almost 12 years ago for around $700. Know it inside out, havent need to replace any parts, but wondering about something better. I drink double ristrettos (wife prefers a little longer) and rarely do milk coffees. Possibly the most shocking admission - I get my beans pre-ground, and dont intend to change, as I would only rarely make more than a dozen coffees a week. I do buy Campos (sorry, not a sponsor I know) and play with the grind and vary the dose and tamp depending on conditions.

Ive been looking at the 6910 for quite a while, but the view here seems to be that milk coffees are its forte, and that it doesnt last. The Sylvia appears to be the accepted wisdom for straight shots - but needs fresh ground coffee.

Any suggestions for my new machine dilemma?

Kent

Re: Is the EM9610 that bad?

Hi Kent, and welcome - umm, one answer - a good GRINDER! Itll make the biggest difference to your coffee making experience and do that Campos some justice. All machines IMO NEED fresh ground coffee.

Comment

Welcome to CS inego!

As youre happy with your current arrangement, the only benefit I can see in buying a 6910 would be that you have something a little more modern looking on the bench.

If your aim is to produce a better shot, then drop whatever you were planning on spending on a good grinder and live with the Krups. I guess you may have read all that before, but really think thats how youll manage to achieve a better outcome.

Cheers!

Comment

I have a Sunbeam and can tell you that it is a great machine especially if you want milk based drinks and quick. Would I buy another one? No! because my current one is getting warranty work done as we speak and the whole process has been a major pain (over a month and counting).

Reliability issues aside, if your not drinking milk drinks get the Sylvia. You will probably find a good grinder with your current machine will be a better idea then either machine with ground especially considering you are only making a dozen coffees per week. Another option would be a Gaggia classic + grinder.

Comment

Yep. Just seconding Yeezas comment. You wont believe the difference a good grinder and freshly ground beans will make.

And nothing offensive about your post (IMO). 6910s have to be seen for what they are - a machine with some good design features but mass produced in China. Average life expectancy? About on par with a Sunbeam toaster, frying pan, blender, etc.

Silvias are renowned for being a very solid piece of equipment - built to last. And its not just Silvias which need fresh ground coffee - your taste buds will too, once youve tried it.

Comment

Hey Kent, no offense taken (6910 owner)

+1 to all the above...

The best money you could spend is on a grinder.

A single-boiler would be much better suited to your needs IMO - Silvia and Domobar Levetta are popular choices. The Sunbeam is good bang-for-buck at the lower end of the market, if you need the ability to turn our lots of milk-based drinks at low cost and if you get a good one.

To be honest, following my own experiences and those of others on this forum, Id never recommend the EM6910 to anyone unless their circumstances dictated that they needed something at low cost for 12 months or so, and could then upgrade. Even then Id hesitate; Ive owned the Sunbeam for close to 12 months it has spent less than half that time actually sitting on my bench making coffee.

Comment

"touch wood"

Have had my em6910 for the better part of a year now, never skipped a beat. Maybe I got a good one, or, its time will come, who knows.

Its my first "serious" coffee machine and I am very happy with what I produce at home.

I would like to put in a plumbed in machine and new grinder into our house we are hoping to build, but that is probably 2 years or so away. Hopefully the 20 or so coffees the machine makes each week wont be too much for it between now and then

Comment

Originally posted by GregJW link=1218594900/0#4 date=1218596138
                And nothing offensive about your post (IMO).
                Thanks everyone - I suppose I prefaced the post that way so I didnt look like a troll with my first post.

And re. the grinder - I know! The problem is with the low volumes I drink (maybe 250g a fortnight), I dont know that I could keep up with fresh beans. Might stick with the Krups for the time being and investigate the Silvia more (although the Sunbeam looks better...)

Re. pre-ground, Ive admitted elsewhere that I do a number of things wrong - as well as pre-ground, I store in the freezer til I break the seal (I buy 250g lots 2-3 at a time), and then airtight container in the freezer. But in my current circumstances, this gives me the best results. But the baristas who give their all for my ristrettos would be crying into the ones theyve tipped down the sink seek the perfect draw....

Comment

inego Ive been using a 6910 at work and also wouldnt recommend it except in certain circumstaces so long as the buyer understood all its shortcomings.

If your current Krups is still working well, then a 6910 wont give you better coffee.

A grinder will.

I go through about 250g a week at home but good freshly roasted coffee can last two weeks without being kept in the fridge or freezer so your argument doesnt wash with me if you can just change your habits a little to only buy 250g a fortnight.

You said you were "wondering about something better".
                  The answer is a good grinder.

Where are you located?

Comment

Inner -West Sydney, but just a little too far from Newtown to make Campos visits easy (Ive been buying Campos on and off for around 20 years). I do like their superior blend.

Cheers for the suggestions - Ill investigate grinders....

Kent

Comment

<-------- Id suggest hitting up Di Bartoli where you can have a play on a bunch of grinders first and seeing and smelling the difference first hand.

Comment

Used to grind my own coffee all the time years ago, when filter or plunger was the go, so I have an idea of the difference it can make. But had abject failure with my old grinder when I first bought the Krups, so gave up on that one.....

Will check out De Bartoli methinks

Kent

Comment

Your welcome to pay me a visit some time and you can taste the difference between week old preground and freshly ground coffee.

Well work it out so that you buy some preground Campos and some whole beans as well (Ill pay for those as I dont mind the Superior either occasionally).

A week later well go to my place with both samples (I can pick you up) and run them both through my Expobar.

The beans will be ground in my Macap.

After you see and taste the difference you can start looking for a grinder.

Comment

Re: Is the EM6910 that bad?

I thought I wanted an EM6910, but now I am not so sure. I am currently using a Krups 3000, which has developed a leak due to a corroded steel plate behind the selector switch. I was initially considering replacing it with a Gaggia, but then I was advised to take a closer look at the Sunbeam. On paper, it sounds good. Based on some recent posts commenting on the lack of build quality on the Sunbeam EM6910, I am reconsidering whether I want to purchase it. I would expect a machine to last at least 10 years, without the need to perform any major service.

The other doubt I am having is whether the EM6910 is in fact suitable for my coffee taste. I tend to have one flat white, one or two ristrettos and an espresso every day. Im not all that worried about the milk texture, but I do want good espresso. It took me months of experimentation and practice (and a few mods to the silly crema enhancing contraption) to get enjoyable results from the Krups. Eventually I got my technique perfected to obtain results comparable to those I could achieve with a Rancilio S10. (Mind you, I only had access to the S10 for about 6 weeks.)

I am not a big fan of fully automatic machines - I still prefer to have some level of control over the process. Having said that, a machine that is end user programable actually does appeal to me. I would hope that I could experiment with the various settings until I get both a ristretto and an espresso program. I would hope to end up with some level of repeatability.

Is the Sunbeam EM6910 the right machine for my coffee taste? Can I expect ristretto and espresso shots that are at least as good or better than those from a Krups? I recall seeing a few posts here at CS that would suggest that perhaps the EM6910 is incapable of good ristretto - is that really true, or is it more likely "operator error"?

Comment

Re: Is the EM6910 that bad?

Originally posted by peteru link=1218594900/0#13 date=1218649373
                              Is the Sunbeam EM6910 the right machine for my coffee taste?
                              Heeeeelllll no!

You said you would expect an espresso machine to last ten years without major service - Id bet my house to a penny that in ten years time at least 90% of existing 6910s will be in landfill (or recycled). Theyre simply not built to last like more expensive machines...

The 6910 is capable of a decent ristretto, to my taste at least. Espresso is another story, often taking sour or bitter flavours. Operator error and the common matching of the barely-adequate Sunbeam EM0480 grinder to the 6910 could both be factors...

The 6910 isnt fully automatic, and most owners (at least those who post here) end pours with the manual button. Its quite handy to have the automatic buttons though as you can just hit the single cup button to perform a cleaning or warming flush.

Given the amount of coffee you drink, Id argue that buying any cheap thermoblock machine would be a false economy. You might save $1000 or so *upfront* by buying a Sunbeam over a hx or double boiler, but the latter will probably never need to be upgraded & will give you decades of faithful service whereas the former is likely to be replaced in a few years time and may or may not work reliably in that time.

Comment

Working...
                              X