Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

La Pavoni Europiccola with pre-ground beans???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• La Pavoni Europiccola with pre-ground beans???

Hi CSers,

I am organising a group pressie of a coffee machine for a couple of mates and the more research I do, the more confused I get!

A friend has recommended La Pavoini Europiccola (his parents have it). However if we stretch our budget to this machine, there is no way we can afford a grinder as well. Do you think the Pavoni is useless if using pre-ground beans? Comments on forums seem to indicate this, and also warn that it is a machine that has a very small margin of error and takes a lot of work to get to know. Im concerned that we might be setting up our first time coffee machine owning friends for failure! Also, they love their lattes: does anyone know how the Pavoni holds up for milk-frothing? Indeed, would the milk even cover up for lower quality coffee if using pre-ground, in which case the lack of a grinder may not be such an issue?

I dont want to limit our friends with one of the lower end machines, when we are so close to being able to buy them a top-notch machine. The Sunbeam EM6910, EM5900, EM5800 and the Breville 800ES and Breville Ikon are on our short list - all decent machines that I understand to be forgiving of pre-ground beans, easy to use and good for froth. But maybe not capable of delivering a truly amazing shot, or is this not true?? Ironically, if we go for a cheaper machine, we will be able to afford a grinder, but then it might not be needed!

Can any kindly CS-devotees help? I would be so grateful for any comments or suggestions!

Best regards
    Loveleboule

Re: La Pavoni Europiccola with pre-ground beans???

Get the EM6910 + Grinder.

I doubt the Pavoni will be any good with pre ground beans and it will most likely be too hot by the time you master your tamping/packing. I am saying that having never used one btw.

Comment

Welcome to Coffee Snobs.

Whilst we could guess at it from the machines youve mentioned, it would be best if you could state your total budget.

My personal advice is grinder first.

A former work colleague of mine was given a good grinder for his last birthday and hes on cloud nine every morning using fresh coffee in a plunger.

Without a good grinder a good machine is wasted.

With a good grinder there a lots of options for making excellent coffee.

Comment

Hi and welcome,

ignoring the LaPavoni being good, bad or difficult it will cost you a fair bit more than a Sunbeam/Breville option as well.

happy hunting.

Comment

Thanks for your comments!

Our total budget is a tiny flexible, as depending on our goal we might broaden our net and pressure others to contribute!

That said, La Pavoni Europiccola are currently on sale for $750 which we might be able to reach.

I have also just realised the Rancilio Silvia is $770. In all the forums where others are having similar debates to me about the 6910, etc many end up defecting to the Rancilio Silvia and wearing the extra cost quite happily. I think Im heading in that direction too!

But again, wed be paring our mates with a machine that needs a grinder...

Could it be possible to buy a pressurised filter basket from Sunbeam to fit a Rancilio Silvia? Is that the best of both worlds until our friends can buy a grinder?

Thanks guys!

Comment

Beg borrow or steal but if you get Silvia you will need a grinder. A Sunbeam EM450/480 would suffice for starters and make pretty good espresso for minimal outlay.

Comment

Originally posted by loveleboule link=1220326321/0#4 date=1220343743
              But again, wed be paring our mates with a machine that needs a grinder...
              Umm... All machines need a grinder. It is just some, with their pressurised porta filter/ baskets, attempt to hide that fact. If anything better coffee can be made with just a grinder and a plunger, vac pot or pour over drip then an espresso machine and stale pre-ground coffee.

Anyhoo, happy hunting

Comment

Hi

I have just got myself a Europicola. Thats after having had a Silvia for > 3 years. A Europicola, or indeed any manual lever machine, is definately not suitable as a present for anyone that is not quite experienced in solving extraction problems. It absolutely needs a good grinder - more so than other espresso machines. This is because it needs a finer grind than other espresso machines so you will be most unlikely to get the correct grind required. Also it can only make one or two cups at most before you have to let it cool down. Its wonderful but finicky.

For you mates read reviews of machines in this section that have electric pumps. Get a lever machine for yourself later on to have fun with :-)

Mike
                Mike

Comment

Very interesting and informative - thank you all so much!

I think I can narrow down the field enough to know that the Europiccola is not right as a present for coffee-newbies. And given the imperative for a grinder I think we are now looking at a different combo - which will take me back to the sub-$500 forum...

Thanks again,

Loveleboule

Comment

Working...
                  X