VBM Domobar Levetta has died ... Help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VBM Domobar Levetta has died ... Help please

hi all ... i have been a lurker and have been learning a lot from youse all ... but now my pride and joy has died ... there is no heat but all lights and pump work fine ... any ideas?

Re: VBM Domobar Levetta has died ... Help please

Originally posted by tonytonytony link=1220691638/0#0 date=1220691638
    hi all ... i have been a lurker and have been learning a lot from youse all ... but now my pride and joy has died ... there is no heat but all lights and pump work fine ... any ideas?
    Hi Tony,

Almost certainly a dead element.

This can happen if you forget to prime the boiler after texturing milk. To be sure, I turn the steam switch off immediately and then run water through the wand using the hot water switch until there is no more steam.

To check it, a multimeter check of resistance across the element contacts with the machine switched off and unplugged should normally show around 45ohm. If you get infinite resistance, thats the issue.

The fix is easy- replace the element. Unfortunately, the boiler has to come out of the machine to do it...Id estimate circa $120-150.

Chris

Comment

thanks for the quick responce chris ... i didnt see this in the instructions and ive only had the machine for about 3 months ... is it a warranty matter?

Comment

Originally posted by tonytonytony link=1220691638/0#2 date=1220695553
        thanks for the quick responce chris ... i didnt see this in the instructions and ive only had the machine for about 3 months ... is it a warranty matter?
        Sorry Tony,

Dead elements are not covered by warranty...

regards

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by 2muchcoffeeman link=1220691638/0#1 date=1220691943
          This can happen if you forget to prime the boiler after texturing milk. To be sure, I turn the steam switch off immediately and then run water through the wand using the hot water switch until there is no more steam.
          Chris
          Can I ask what it means to "prime the boiler" and why this is necessary after "texturing milk". Is it a quirk of this particular machine. Should it be mentioned in the Instruction Manual?
          Thinking of buying one of these & therefore interested in any issues related to reliability.
          Cheers, Rocky.

Comment

Rocky,

Single boiler machines use the water in the boiler to generate steam....... as the steam leaves the boiler - the water level in the boiler falls and this is not replaced as it is when you are extracting espresso. This results in reduced (or possible very little if you have been texturing a large quantity of milk) water in the boiler with risk of the element being partly exposed.

The exposed element cant dissipate its heat into the water..... so overheats and could die!

Priming the boiler simply means ensuring it is full of water - and the element is covered.

Just follow the instructions provided by Chris above to ensure the boiler is always full following milk texturing - and you wont have a problem.

Comment

This explains the process quite well .....here

Cheers

Comment

Thanks for that explanation guys, the pictures from the Domobar User Guide are helpful.
                So... it would seem that (as per picture 14 in the Guide) pressing the hot water button & opening the steam valve causes water to be drawn into the boiler (and also expelled out the steam wand) thereby replacing that expelled as steam whilst texturing the milk?

Comment

correct

Comment

Yep, sort of. I think you will find that water is actually pumped into the boiler, but no water will come out of of the steam wand till the boiler is full.
                    Then you can shut it off, happy in the knowledge that the boiler is full of water again.

Cheers,
                    Alan

Comment

Working...
                    X