Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

a few questions for Silvia users....

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • a few questions for Silvia users....

    Hey,

    So Ive finally bought my dream machine, Miss Silvia.....Absoutely love it!!....Just have a few questions tho..

    1. With the intake hoses, one is shorter and one is longer, does anyone know which does what? also, it seems like its a bit of a hassle to get them to stay down at the bottom of the tank, (at least the short one wants to keep popping up.)
    I know you can get some little adhesiive cable managment clips that could hold the tubes down the bottom quite easily. has anyone done this?

    and

    2. Just being very particular here, (I cant seem to get a clear understanding out of the manual).

    I know the first time I started the machine up, I had to open the steam valve and then turn the power and the brew switch on at the same time to fill the boiler. Do I have to do this every time? Or as long as I re fill the boiler after steaming, I should just be able to turn it on and let her warm up?..

    and

    3. Just being over safe again, after steaming, to re fill the boiler I should first turn the steam switch off, then hit the brew switch until water comes out of the grouphead?

    an answer to these will set my mind at ease :P....Im terrified of damaging my machine.. :-/.just want to do it alll right...

    Thanks alot

    Ed

  • #2
    Re: a few questions for Silvia users....

    Hi, Ed -

    Congratulations on the new machine!  

    Originally posted by Shimmy link=1220736442/0#0 date=1220736442
    1. With the intake hoses, one is shorter and one is longer, does anyone know which does what? also, it seems like its a bit of a hassle to get them to stay down at the bottom of the tank, (at least the short one wants to keep popping up.)
    I know you can get some little adhesiive cable managment clips that could hold the tubes down the bottom quite easily. has anyone done this?
    The long tube draws water from the reservoir to supply the pump.  The end of this tube can usually be wedged in the bottom corner of the plastic reservoir, where the little star-shaped thingie is.

    Short tube is the return line from the OPV.  When pulling a shot, there will frequently be a small flow coming out of the tube and back into the reservoir.  The end of the short tube does not have to be near the bottom.


    Originally posted by Shimmy link=1220736442/0#0 date=1220736442
    2. Just being very particular here, (I cant seem to get a clear understanding out of the manual).

    I know the first time I started the machine up, I had to open the steam valve and then turn the power and the brew switch on at the same time to fill the boiler. Do I have to do this every time? Or as long as I re fill the boiler after steaming, I should just be able to turn it on and let her warm up?..
    This will be necessary after each and every steaming session.  But only then.  Anytime the pump is running, the boiler will be refilling at the same rate water is leaving the group or the wand.

    Originally posted by Shimmy link=1220736442/0#0 date=1220736442
    3. Just being over safe again, after steaming, to re fill the boiler I should first turn the steam switch off, then hit the brew switch until water comes out of the grouphead?
    Turn steam switch off, then switch on the pump (using hot water button), then slowly open the steam wand until liquid water is flowing.  If you want to run water through the group, this is OK, too.  But since the steam pipe is slightly higher in the boiler and the standpipe that feeds the group, it is marginally better to refill the boiler using the wand and hot water switch.

    Jim

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: a few questions for Silvia users....

      Hey thanks for that so the short tube....it would be ok if it did happen to come above the surface of the water when the machine is running? (obviously i would try to keep it under water)..


      also one other thing ill jst quote here...
      2. Just being very particular here, (I cant seem to get a clear understanding out of the manual).

      I know the first time I started the machine up, I had to open the steam valve and then turn the power and the brew switch on at the same time to fill the boiler. Do I have to do this every time? Or as long as I re fill the boiler after steaming, I should just be able to turn it on and let her warm up?..

      This will be necessary after each and every steaming session.  But only then.  Anytime the pump is running, the boiler will be refilling at the same rate water is leaving the group or the wand.
      So this means just to refill the boiler after steaming?

      So as long as before i shut the machine off, I refill the boiler, when i get up in the morning to turn the machine on, i should just be able to press the on switch and let her warm up for 20 mins without touching it...(doesnt need to be primed when i first turn on)

      Thanks again
      Ed

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: a few questions for Silvia users....

        Originally posted by Shimmy link=1220736442/0#2 date=1220747248
        So this means just to refill the boiler after steaming?

        So as long as before i shut the machine off, I refill the boiler, when i get up in the morning to turn the machine on, i should just be able to press the on switch and let her warm up for 20 mins without touching it...(doesnt need to be primed when i first turn on)
        I only refill a Silvia immediately after steaming (except perhaps if it has been not been used in a week or more).  As long as it was full when you turned it off, there really isnt anyplace for the boiler water to go.

        FWIW, I favor a longer warmup.  It takes between 45 and 50 minutes for the grouphead to reach a stable temperature.  One of the very nice things about Silvias is the massive boiler/grouphead assembly.  It would be a shame to not take full advantage by pulling shots before everything has fully stabilized.

        Jim

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: a few questions for Silvia users....

          Thanks alot Jim,

          that helps alot.....I was a bit scared at first about buying the silvia with the talk of temperature surfing etc etc but I just could not be happier. So solid.....So simple

          Thanks again

          Ed

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: a few questions for Silvia users....

            A little tip Ed, after using machine and steaming milk the steam valve cools down and contracts after machine is turned off. When you turn Silvia on again and it heats up, water will start to drip from the wand, a good habit to get into is closing the steam control firmly as you switch on the machine, several times I ended up with my work top being swamped with water, and keep and eye on the drip tray it fills up quickly and makes a horrible mess when it overflows.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: a few questions for Silvia users....

              great thanks for that

              Yea that drip tray is pretty small...I actually use a small shallow pyrex tray that fits nicely under the grouphead for most of the cleaning, and temp surfing etc....

              much easier to empty and clean :P

              Cheers
              Ed

              Comment

              Working...
              X