Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EM6910 - Recommended Enhancements

Heya all

Looking to get better use out of my EM6910, and would like to get the opinions of other owners.

What sort of enhancements would you recommend.

Including any additional baskets (blind ones as well), programming techniques. Anything really

Cheers
    Aaron

Re: EM6910 - Recommended Enhancements

Welcome to Coffee Snobs Aaron.

Whilst I think the Sunbeam tamper is the best tamper to come with a machine and easily much better than most of the cheap plastic ones you usually get, a fitted Pullman Tamper would be an improvement.

Greg Pullman says that the size of the standard Sunbeam baskets are consistant enough for him to be able to make you a tamper without having to measure your basket.

However if you decide on a Pullman why not pay the little extra and get a Synesso basket with it to ensure the best possible fit.

Comment

No to the blind basket, some knowledgeable types advised me against them. Check the thread on troubleshooting an em6910

Comment

If you havent already, get some good training. The best workshop in the world dont turn someone into an expert mechanic, and while improving your kit will often help once you know what youre doing, if youre not really sure then you wont get the full benefits out of things like better tampers or program changes until youre clued up.

With a bit of practice, people who know their barista skills can pull better shots from a $100 Krups than Great Aunt Flo could get from a $16k Synesso.

Comment

Have a basic training course under my belt as an anniversary present form my Wife. Was conducted out at Tobys Estate in Woolloomolloo... If thats how you spelt it..

But yeah, I agree, I learnt a hell of a lot off that 2 hour stint.

Comment

WRT programming, many people have found that increasing the brew temperature works well to reduce any sourness, and max temp/min wetness is a popular choice for steam settings. The best bet is to get every other aspect of your routine worked out, then experiment and note the differences...

Other than that... A bottomless portafilter is a good diagnostic tool, and a very nice pro toy to boot

If you do end up grabbing a tamper from Greg, you can get 10% off by buying a bottomless p/f at the same time: http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1211028057

Comment

Woolloomooloo.

Comment

Gesundheit!

Comment

I have always thought that a Giotto or VBM would be a perfect enhancement to a Sunbeam 6901 :P ;D

Comment

I think that can be defined as "thread hijacking" 2CM!!

Comment

Very important, IMO, is a good tamper. The SS/plastic one that comes with the 6910 is pretty decent, but you will be finding it very difficult to get a consistent level tamp. It "wiggles" as  you press down, so if you look at it sideways you will notice that it is not level.

A proper pullman/espro/etc tamper will decrease the analness youll need to tamp each shot.

I got a pullman tamper last month. Making proper 60ml double shots (with the so called "single" 14g sunbeam baskets) without early blonding is now much, much, much easier to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1221028270/0#1 date=1221028942

Whilst I think the Sunbeam tamper is the best tamper to come with a machine and easily much better than most of the cheap plastic ones you usually get, a fitted Pullman Tamper would be an improvement.

Greg Pullman says that the size of the standard Sunbeam baskets are consistant enough for him to be able to make you a tamper without having to measure your basket.

However if you decide on a Pullman why not pay the little extra and get a Synesso basket with it to ensure the best possible fit.
                        Totally.

Dont know if its just coincidence --> my pullman fits just as well with my sunbeam baskets as the synesso it came with.

Comment

Originally posted by ezralimm link=1221028270/0#11 date=1221267063
                          Originally posted by Thundergod link=1221028270/0#1 date=1221028942

Totally.

Dont know if its just coincidence --> my pullman fits just as well with my sunbeam baskets as the synesso it came with.
                          Theyre normally both almost exactly the same size. That in itself is probably coincidence (as Im sure Sunbeam and Synesso didnt collude on their basket designs!), but theyre both quite consistent in their sizes so the fact yours fits both isnt a coincidence in that sense. We would normally use much the same size tamper for a 6910 as we would for the Synesso baskets we supply. The only variable is that we dont know how long itll be until Sunbeam (or Synesso for that matter) change their basket dies, so eventually theyll probably go their separate ways.

Comment

Working...
                          X