Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EM6910 volt and hz??

Hi all:

My friend bought an EM6910 to our country to me.
    But in our country, our volt is 110/220V 60hz.

When I saw the instruction book, I found EM6910s volts was 230V~240V.
    And the walts is between 2200 walts ~2400 walts.(wa~~~silvia only has 1100Walts)

So, the volts translation problem bothered me.

Can EM6910 use 220V or not?? only for 240V ??
    What is the EM6910s hz??

thx

Re: EM6910 volt and hz??

hi
    Sunbeams specs

supply voltage 230 -240 volts AC 50hz
    wattage
    2160w to 2400w

heat up time max 1 min 30 sec based on 25*c ambient temp

decrease supply voltage = increased wattage

graham

Comment

Oh my god. That explains why my computers soundcard goes funny when its heating up.
      2400w is pretty high.

Comment

My take on this question can only be general as Ive never looked at the Sunbeam, you have been warned... Obviously somebody who repairs these machines will have a better understanding.

Assuming 24 Ohm heating element (just using this value for illustration) at 240V = 2400Watts, 230V = 2204, 220V = 2016W and 110V = 504W.

Your lower nominal 220V voltage will mean 10% less power available to heat water which means it takes longer to reach operating temperature and longer recover time from shots. Chances are the unit is over engineered and once upto temperature you wont notice the difference.

There are multiple ways of addressing the voltage problem if you must have 240V. Some possibilities are an appropriately rated 20V series (boost) transformer for 220V, or 110/220 to 240V step-up transformer, or a more dangerous (in a kitchen environment with liquids) Variac, Stabilac, UPS, or inverter. Catches are electrical safety, size and finding one at a reasonable price, maybe eBay.

Now for some even more over simplified explanations. Transformers and motors require more metal at 50Hz or they may run hotter. So increasing the frequency to 60Hz should not be a problem. Speed of Alternating Current (AC) motors is dependent on frequency so a 50Hz motor running on 60Hz may rotate faster, probably not a problem for a fan but could be an issue for a pump as the load on the motor may increase, and definetely a problem for a mechanical clock using a simple AC motor.

Your machine is computer controlled and there are different ways it can keep track of time during its operation. It can count pulses from its internal high frequency oscillator circuit (Xtal or Ceramic resonator), have a dedicated low frequency clock xtal, or use the mains frequency (50 Hz) to derive a clock. If timing is mains frequency derived or heater control is related to mains frequency there could be real problems. The computer controller has to be powered and dropping the mains to a nominal 220V could mean its power supply voltage is too low and maybe experience intermittent operation when your mains voltage drops below the nominal voltage under load. It experiences something akin to a brown out. Now you do have a real chance of damage to the machine.

Chances are your machine is designed for many different markets and if they are sold in your country (maybe under a different brand) you may be able to have your machine converted.

If this was only worth $50.00 Id use a mains adaptor to test operation as shipping charges would be worth more than the machine.

For more expensive items like this I would be looking for a service agent to quote on conversion. Failing that a good appliance repair shop for a quote. If really desparate then ask locally for a hardware technician/engineer in process control, computer industry, electronics, radio, etc. who can suggest best solution.

Maybe after reading this you will throw your hands up in horror and return the machine.

Comment

Pretty strange if Sunbeam, an Australian company, really engineered the 6910 for 230 or 240 volts since 220 volts is the Australian standard! At any rate, it heats up really fast and takes no time at all to recover between shots. I guess being engineered nominally for 230 does give a bit of protection in case of power-surges (which we get very often up here in the high Blue Mountains!

Comment

Anthony,

Come over to Western Australia (last time I checked - still part of Australia )

Main voltage is nominally 240V..... actually 245V (typical)..... sometimes going as high as 250V....

So Australian gear really needs to be engineered with that in mind.

Comment

Australian Standard is 240V give or take 10 V (If you live in the country areas) sometimes it can hit 260V or drop as low as 210V depending on consumer usage at the time. That is why you get brown outs or burnt out motors in the fridge/freezer every now and then.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony link=1221186422/0#4 date=1221456146
                Pretty strange if Sunbeam, an Australian company, really engineered the 6910 for 230 or 240 volts since 220 volts is the Australian standard!
                Since when, exactly?

Comment

Hi all

Quote from http://users.metro2000.net/~purwinc/seec2_2.htm

"Currently, Australia is on 240V, +6%, -6%. Australian mains voltage is due to change in line with European voltages. Australian Standard AS60038:2000 "Standard Voltages" which replaces AS2926:1987 provides for the "nominal systems voltage" of 230/400V 50Hz and recommends that the voltage at the point of supply should not differ from the nominal voltage of the system by more than +10% -6%."

Also see a list here of the voltages in Aust state-by-state (for some reason WA is left out)
                  http://www.ewh.ieee.org/r10/nsw/subpages/history/Australian-AC-Line-Voltages.pdf

Mike

Comment

Working...
                  X