Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dialling in my VBM Levetta

Hi & thanks smokeydeck,

Im having so much fun now, but ive had to throw my usual dosing technic out the door. The first shot I puled in the morning completely choked the levetta, eventually moved it about 4 notches coarser with a 25 sec pore to find it tasting blah! trying to figure out why this wasnt going as easy as I thought, I kept on trying. Ive eventually moved it back(to were mazzer recommends) with out it choking and the shots are getting better, still not perfect though. So, what did this all tell me.... I need to work on my dose!

its a little annoying going back to square one, but this is part of the fun.

During extraction, how many bars does your gauge read? my one is at 12 bar. I know that system pressure is a little higher than group pressure, so Im trying to determine if my levetta is running a little high. I fear this is affecting the taste and the grind adjustment???? help?

Cheers,
    Rancho

Re: new Mazzer Mini!

Yep...dosing and tamping on a new combo is always a learning curve!

Your pressure sounds a bit high which will definitely affect the shot. It should read around 10-10.5 during extraction which means at the group head its around 9.

Im not sure how to adjust this...I think its a simple op by adjusting a screw. Search the threads in this section but maybe someone else can help???

The site sponsors certainly know how this is done. You can always call Chris...

Comment

Thanks for the advice,
      looks like its the OP valve as you said, now its a matter of turing it down to read 10.5 and that should do the trick.

I love the fact that I can have a conversation with some one next to me or across the room without shouting. All you hear is the quiet hum of precise engineering, hmmmmmmmm. sweet! Im so happy with the MM.

Cheers,
      Rancho

Comment

I was under the impression it should read about 12 when one allows for the offset between boiler and group. Mine reads just on 12 during extraction. We need confirmation from one of the local suppliers...

As for the Mazzer I found that the set point from the factory was far too fine for me. I had to adjust 3 to 4 notches to the right (anti clockwise) to get 25 sec extraction times.

I found with the Levetta it takes 7 to 8 secs (part of my 25 sec total time) to start to see the flow from the spout. Does this sound about right. This is my first espresso set up so this forum is great to have some shared experiences to learn from.

Comment

Re: Dialling in my VBM Levetta

gday benmac

Im also getting about a 7 second delay between lever switch and pour.

Regarding the mini setting, I too am usually on the coarser side of the factory centre, but that depends on which bean and time post roast. Currently Im just on the fine side (1mm).

As I said above, I think 12bars is too high. The difference is apparently only 1-1.5 bars between system pressure and grouphead pressure.

cheers,

sd

Comment

Hi Rancho,

I also think that pressure indicated is probably a bit high.

We adjust this to 9 bar at the group using a p/f pressure gauge...

Sadly some vendors sell boxes :

Might be worth asking the people who sold the machine to you if it was done? :-?

Chris

Comment

With  a new machine how long does it take to for the seals to settle ?

I was told that this could account for showing higher pressure...

I purchsed my machine from DiBartoli as they were local for me and I am pretty sure no adjustments were made.

How accessible is the OPV? I take it this is what needs tweaking. Of course without a p/f pressure guage this is going to be fiddly.

Given we are seeing quite a bit of variation in out of the box pressure setting it also makes me question the possible range in thermostat settings from the factory. I am starting to feel my Levetta runs slightly cool. I know i can access this from the top but without accurate group temp measurements I dont see the point.

Chris - I am told that Erics thermometer adapter for the e61 group is pretty much plug and play for the VBM machines. Any thoughts on this product?

Comment

Originally posted by Benmac link=1221289163/0#6 date=1221433450
                With  a new machine how long does it take to for the seals to settle ?

I was told that this could account for showing higher pressure...

I purchsed my machine from DiBartoli as they were local for me and I am pretty sure no adjustments were made.

How accessible is the OPV? I take it this is what needs tweaking. Of course without a p/f pressure guage this is going to be fiddly.

Given we are seeing quite a bit of variation in out of the box pressure setting it also makes me question the possible range in thermostat settings from the factory. I am starting to feel my Levetta runs slightly cool. I know i can access this from the top but without accurate group temp measurements I dont see the point.

Chris - I am told that Erics thermometer adapter for the e61 group is pretty much plug and play for the VBM machines. Any thoughts on this product?
                Hi Ben,

The seal bedding in concept sound a bit bizarre? I cant work out how that would occur.

I know Renzo has a p/f gauge, so you could ask him to double check your machine with it..

As for temp, the best way IMHO is to use a scace- but at least the thermometer will give you a rough idea. The thing to keep in mind is that measurements are not recorded at the puck- so a thermometer is a tad hit and miss...

I did have access to Peter Cairis one but that it no longer...

I bit the bullet last week and ordered my own scace and a dedicated datalogging fluke thermometer as well. Ridiculous bucks, but it will prove that some machines run super hot and some are waaaay better engineered...

Chris

Comment

Hi BenMac, ring/email Di Bartoli, theyll help you promptly. Renzo calibrated my machine before he would release it to me.

I found that my peak shot pressure (Im assuming this is what youre talking about when youre mentioning 12 bar) was initially higher because of grind/tamping/bean variables rather than the machine. I used to get a lot of 11-12 bar shots at first. With experience and fine-tuning the grind and tamp its levelled out.

Comment

Ok i am going to play around with some grind/tamp variables. Having no physics aptitude what do I need to change to possibly reduce the pressure reading? Lighter tamp and courser grind? Does any of this really make a meaningful difference? Would my dosing (clearance from shower screen) play a part?

Thanks,

Ben

Comment

Mine was running cool too. I had a play as per here...

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1218701315/0#0

Cheers

Comment

Thanks for the advice chris,
                        ill give them a ring and double check that.

Hi Benmac, I did find that Im not up dosing as much with this combo, so I guess this does play a part in the pressure reading difference. being an e61 setup, 7 to 8 sec sound about right. As with grind/tamp, I need to play around with all the variables too, but every day is getting better.

Things can only in-prove
                        Rancho.

Comment

Hi Rancho,

I have received my Levetta and Mazzer Mini as well. So much to learn!

I have a suspicion that the grinder is grinding too fine (its at the factory centre position) and tamping with any amount of pressure means the pour times are massive and it comes out in small drips.
                          Today I managed to jam up the Mazzer and although the grinder runs, its not grinding into the doser but rather the beans just sit up in the neck above the burrs and spin around.
                          I guess I will have to give it a good clean out tonight.

All good fun.

Cheers.

Comment

Hi Benmac,
                            I have read much about Erics temperature adaptors and had his enormous help in adapting thermocouples to hard-wire into the tops of the groupheads of my Futurmat.
                            Eric is an absolute gentleman to deal with....extremely knowledgeable and SO helpful....one of the beauties of the fitting of one his gauges is (on your machine) no drilling and once you get used to the thermobehaviour of your machine and know how much of a cooling flush you need at any given time, you can remove the gauge if you want to, thereby returning it to standard.....but I bet you would never get rid of it!!

Cheers,
                            Paolo

Comment

Does the levetta have a flat or slightly convex shower screen? I honestly cannot tell. I am thinking of ordering a Pullman tamper with Synesso basket so it would be useful to know.

Cheers,

Ben

Comment

Working...
                              X