Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunbeam Coffee School

Hi Everyone

Bought my EM6910 a week and a half ago and am fine tuning my skills!  Ive had a couple of cheap and nasty machines up until now, but the 6910 blows them all away!

I had to report a fault today, however.  I removed the double spout from the machine a week ago (scarily enough, it seemed far too easy to do compared to what the manual said) and gave the single spout a try but then decided that, although usually its only me that has a coffee, I liked the aesthetic look of the double spout so wanted to put it back on. The problem I have now is that the double spout does one revolution and goes semi tight and then twigs and goes loose again.  I think the thread may be gone and possibly was before I undid it the first time.  Ive emailed Sunbeam, so will wait to see what their response is.

Other than this, though, I love the machine and its so fun to use!  My husband thinks Im obsessed because Im making up to five coffees a day on the weekend, and two or three during the week (and Im talking BIG cups of latte!) in order to get the perfect cup.  Im still waiting on my redemption 0480 coffee grinder to turn up, but purchased a cheap Breville conical burr grinder to get me through until the 0480 turns up which is, hopefully, not too far away!

Now for my questions:
    • Im due to go off to my Sunbeam Coffee School on 4 October 2008, which Im really looking forward to (I need some serious help with my tamping technique - I only get it right about 1 time every 6 goes or so!).  When at the Coffee School, should I take some extra money with me? Do they usually have add on stuff at the school you can buy, such as coffee beans, equipment, etc?
    • At the moment, the only store I live near that I can buy (sort of) fresh roasted beans from is a large coffee store chain and I suspect that the beans are not that fresh at all.  While they have a large variety of flavoured beans, I tend to like my beans just standard and add flavoured syrup if I feel like it.  What is everyones recommendation on buying coffee beans online. Do they get to you still fresh by the time theyve gone through the post?

My normal bean purchase is Lavazza Cafe because I like the milder flavour of them - Im not into strong coffee (Im a 1/4 strength girl when buying from a coffee shop) but I do like a nicely rich coffee. Sorry if I sound like a heathen! [smiley=evil.gif]

Thanks for your replies!

Re: Sunbeam Coffee School

Hi Hoyks

Go to Brown Bean Bay <<<<<<<<<<
    Only accessible to members that are logged on

At first try the starter pack
    And then read reviews of coffees to try
    I recommend the Espresso WOW blend if its available

KK

Comment

Thanks KK - I have ordered the Sample Pack, so hopefully it will be winging its way to me sometime this week! Very reasonably priced, also, I must say - even with the postage added on...now I can get rid of the two 200g bags of beans purchased from said coffee chain this morning. Thanks for your help with this.

Still looking for advice re the Coffee School, if anyone can help?

Comment

Regarding the spout - I found it easy to remove as well so dont worry about that.
        As far as it not going back on, I think you should try a few more times.
        From memory its a bugger to put back on straight, so youve probably cross threaded it, hence it tightening so quickly then loosening.

Comment

Originally posted by Thundergod link=1221377891/0#3 date=1221382104
          Regarding the spout - I found it easy to remove as well so dont worry about that.
          As far as it not going back on, I think you should try a few more times.
          From memory its a bugger to put back on straight, so youve probably cross threaded it, hence it tightening so quickly then loosening.
          The spout is a bit on teh cheep side...

1: The thread is a little rough, as they add the collar as a way to get around the machining costs..

2: Option A: Use some thread tape (plumbers gas tape is yellow and a little thicker) on the male thread and then gently screw the spout back on.

3: Option B:

The collar can be easy removed, and I have seen 4 that are different sizes when I have measured the internal dia. The trick here was to obtain some very thin shim material and make in effect a part second collar, and then put the main one on. It was a bit of a squeeze, but worked well.

If ya need some shim... Can be obtained from any Repco shop... or send a PM and I will see what I can do.

Comment

Thanks AM - hubby is an aircraft metal worker, so Ill hit him up for the collar / shim. He did try some thread tape last night, but it really didnt make much difference and the spout just fell straight off this morning without any encouragement at all.

The funny thing about it, and why I think it is something thats gone wrong with the spout, is that the single spout on goes straight on and tightens up again without any problems at all so if I was prone to cross threading, it would happen with the single one also. Also, as mentioned before, hubby is a metal worker and hes given a try also and proclaimed that the thread is shot and hes pretty experienced with threads, etc.

Well see what response Sunbeam come back with - Ive basically asked them whether I should loctite it back on but I was looking for their guidance because I didnt want to void the warranty by doing anything that wasnt recommended by them" (nothing like putting the onus stright back into their court!)

Looking at some of the previous threads, Ive every confidence theyll come back with a reasonable solution, though, so Ill see how I go.

Comment

Hi Hoyks

Regards Sunbeam coffee school from memorey they had some bags of coffee and vacuum containers Ect on a table, But I dont no if they where for sale One would think so.

I found that course was well worth while and very informative ...

Cheers Gra

Comment

Hi Hoyks,

Im also booked in for the 4th October. What capital city are you in? Im in Melbourne.

Regarding the spouts, I had the exact opposite problem. Initially taking the double spout off was difficult to say the least, but taking the single pour spout off again...well lets just say I eventually broke the single pour- and I was being as gentle as I could be. Even after it broke, I resorted to a pipe wrench to remove the rest and that was difficult too.

Luckily Sunbeam were very good and sent me a replacement single pour . Needless to say I wont be switching them around again.

Im in to my fourth week of waiting for the grinder to show up. They say to expect between 8-10 working weeks. Im not sure I can hold out on pre-ground supermarket coffee that long!

Comment

Hi ACog - while youre waiting, find yourself a local roaster. Though not ideal, their pre-ground coffee will beat the pants off anything a supermarket has to offer!

Comment

Hi Dennis,

I work just around the corner from St. Alis in South Melbourne. Im champing at the bit waiting for this grinder to turn up.

You reckon I should buy some anyway and ask for them to pre-grind it? mmm Perhaps I should.

Comment

Originally posted by ACog link=1221377891/0#9 date=1221432892
                      Hi Dennis,

I work just around the corner from St. Alis in South Melbourne. Im champing at the bit waiting for this grinder to turn up.

You reckon I should buy some anyway and ask for them to pre-grind it? mmm Perhaps I should.
                      Absolutely!

Comment

If they are just round the corner, see if they will grind it by the 20g lot then you can run home and still have a fresh cuppa

try 100 - 200g at the most and take an airtight container, this will let you keep it as fresh as you can

Comment

Hi ACG - Im just out of Newcastle, so will be heading down to the Sydney course, otherwise I would have seen you there! Well have to share stories afterwards.

Bummer on the wait for the grinder! As I said, I just bit the bullet when I bought my machine and purchased a Breville Cafe Roma Conical Burr Grinder from The Good Guys for $60.00 (I beat them down from $80.00 because I was buying the machine which I managed to get for $550.00!) Does a reasonable job, but it doses straight into a container which you then have to spoon into the PF which can get slightly messy. Still does the job in a pinch, and I figured I could sell it afterwards to someone at work once the good one turns up.

Definitely do something about the pre-brought supermarket stuff, though! I will buy beans from the Supermarket if Im pushed to (which I have been, I have to admit [smiley=embarassed.gif]), but I certainly wouldnt buy it pre-ground.

Its a shame weve gone from having the grinders in the coffee section of the supermarkets so you could grind some there, but I guess they figured out it wasnt worth the mess in the end. Probably the amount of children playing around with them and spreading coffee grinds everywhere killed that idea.

I havent heard back from Sunbeam today. Ill keep you posted how I go...

Comment

Originally posted by Hoyks link=1221377891/0#12 date=1221463925

Definitely do something about the pre-brought supermarket stuff, though!  I will buy beans from the Supermarket if Im pushed to (which I have been, I have to admit [smiley=embarassed.gif]), but I certainly wouldnt buy it pre-ground.
                            Unfortunately, it really doesnt make a difference - stale whole beans freshly ground or stale pre-ground prepacked...same, same.

Originally posted by Hoyks link=1221377891/0#12 date=1221463925
                            Its a shame weve gone from having the grinders in the coffee section of the supermarkets so you could grind some there, but I guess they figured out it wasnt worth the mess in the end.  Probably the amount of children playing around with them and spreading coffee grinds everywhere killed that idea.
                            Said to be due to hygiene issues, though wonder how they rationalise this when you can buy loose nuts that have probably had cockies crawling over them overnight. I think its more likely to do with wasted shelf space.

Comment

Ewww, well thats put me off buying nuts from said stores from hereon in! :P

I know that the beans are probably stale too, but I have to admit, even stale Lavazza beans taste good to me. Mind you, Ive only had my good coffee machine for a couple of weeks now, so Ill probably revise that when my sample bag turns up this week!

Oh well, better fly - Ive got to start getting ready to go off to my adult tap dancing class! (My other passion! ;D

Comment

Working...
                              X