Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Few concerns with my new Silvia :S

Hey,

Ive had my Silvia for a few weeks now and its been settling in nicely. Slowly getting used to it.

Just have 2 concerns....

1. the steam opening valve....its started to squeak when I turn it on and off....I noticed that when I bought the machine, the display model there had the same problem. Im sure theres an easy way to fix it...just wondering if anyone else has run into this problem.

2. I may be imagining things here but it seems that most of the time when i run the brew switch (not when actually brewing) the machine sounds almost choked. And it seems to vibrate more sometimes. (I actually checked a few times to see whether something was obstructing the intake tube)....Again, Ive only every used my machine in real life so I have no other Silvia to compare it to....

Any help would be very appreciated :-[

Thanks
    Ed

Re: Few concerns with my new Silvia :S

Hi Ed, with the steam valve I wouldnt worry about the noise. It is a good idea for buy a couple of the little spring clips to hold the plastic control in place as they tend to break, Ive had 2 go on me in 15 months, it is just inconvenient when they break, its easy to replace, they only cost $1.50. My steam control know tends to gradually slide up the shaft and I have to occasionally push it back in.
    Cant help you on Q2.
    Once you get acquainted with Silvia shes a great machine and you will get much pleasure out of her.

Comment

oh yesss...Im thoroughly in love with her already. Getting very successful shots.

I guess the silvias i see on youtube etc may seem a bit smoother or quieter.....could just be my imagination tho.

Cheers
      Ed

Comment

Hi Ed,

with the steam valve I wouldnt worry about the noise
        i would worry about it, the noise is the sound of metal on metal without lubrication.

this is a fairly common problem with new silvias. (and lots of other new machines)lack of grease on the steam shaft.

we prep all machines before the customer gets them to try and overcome any problems

if ignored it will cause damage and need replacing

return the machine to where you purchased it, and get both looked at under warranty

graham

Comment

I agree fix - my Silvia steam wand started to drip. So I dissasembled to repair - I found a sliver of metal - I removed the metal and applied a food grade bit of grease to seals/shaft - no more leaks and no more squeaks

Comment

Yea I may have to look into doing that.

The pump though. Its definitely strange. It could be normal ..I dont know.

It starts off nice and easy sounding. then after 5 secs or so it sounds a bit strangled or choked and vibrates more. Has anyone else found this?

Cheers
            ed

Comment

Yep...if I look inside, the little brass bit is squeaking as it swivels in and out.....

I called the place i bought it from.....Have to drive it all the way to brisbane to drop it off.....then again to pick it up....AND they dont know how long itll take

Comment

Working...
              X