Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does a couple of sheets of stainless cost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What does a couple of sheets of stainless cost?

Can anyone explain to me why the VBM Domobar Levetta with "gloss black sides" costs $1399. and the same machine with stainless steel sides costs $1899. Is there any reason why I wouldnt just buy a couple of cut to size stainless steel sheets & replace the black sides?

Re: What does a couple of sheets of stainless cost

The quick answer would be no but I imagine you would need the correct sort of machinery to cut the stainless steel properly.

Other than aesthetics (greater bling factor), I dont there is any reason to get stainless steel sides at all.

Comment

Stainless costs more than you think. Then as flynnaus has correctly pointed out, there are machining costs.

Comment

couldnt be $500 more, considering they have to paint the black sides. Might be more to it.

Comment

Stainless is a b!tch to work with compared to plain old mild steel and is much harder on tooling, the reject factor is probably higher as well as once a shiny new panel accidentally gets a scratch on it then it is toast as it would not be worth trying to polish it out. But there is also the "exclusive" factor which has the biggest part to play in it all.

Comment

I think it all comes down to how much of your own personal effort you are prepared to put in. You can often buy used stainless steel products such as small tables, benches, counter-tops and what have you, at auction or from various disposal places. Quite often, the side panels of this sort of equipment is in very good condition, or the under-surface of top and bottom shelves, etc.

A sheet metal shop would be able to cut it up and bend to shape for you and then you could add the elbow grease with suitable polishing compounds and power tools thrown in, bring the surfaces up to a lustrous, mirror finish the equal of anything that a manufacturer can produce. Its the cutting and polishing of this stuff that costs the money so if you can do the polishing yourself, thatll bring the price down considerably. 8-)

Cheers,
            Mal.

Comment

Youd get a cooler looking machine by repainting the black sides green or what ever colour your into.

Comment

I imaging you could get the sides chrome plated for less then $200

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky link=1221650035/0#0 date=1221650035
                  Can anyone explain to me why the VBM Domobar Levetta with "gloss black sides" costs $1399. and the same machine with stainless steel sides costs $1899.  Is there any reason why I wouldnt just buy a couple of cut to size stainless steel sheets & replace the black sides?
                  Hi Rocky,

Your question leads me to assume that you have not seen a Levetta in the metal.

The pricing difference is dictated by two broad factors:
                  [*]The black model is constructed entirely on a stainless steel chassis and has stainless sides and the cover as well. Even if you were to replace the cover, you would still be left with black sides either side of the drip tray. Stainless is harder to cut and work as well as being more expensive- therefore $$$[*]ECA takes a much lower margin on the black sided version- so as to sell it at a category killer price point. They buy in bulk also. The stainless version is via order (one at a time) and as a result, full margin is applied to small volume special orders.

Clear as mud?  :-?

Chris

Comment

If you havent had a look at the black (stealth version) one in the flesh I suggest you do. I think it looks absolutely awesome and where mine is positioned in our kitchen having the back sides is also more practical. 90% of the time youre only looking at it head on anyways, so all youll notice is the stainless. The stainless/black one blends in very well with other stainless appliances youll normally find on a bench top as typically theyll have a little bit of black on them somewhere (blender lid, toaster handle, black push buttons, etc.)...  My last espresso machine was all stainless and I personally prefer my new "stealth" one. Great contrast and now considered the bad boy of the kitchen.  

Comment

Mild steel is cheap last time i bought a sheet of 1.6mm M/S it was about $60 for a 2400x 1200mm sheet. I would guess that a sheet of brushed 304 S/S (not a machine finish) as we want it to look nice and not 316( as it is more exspensive) could easily be $300-$500 a sheet but you would have to ring Atlas Steels for pricing.
                      Also when the S/S panels are getting cut and formed, all the steel machinery that the stainless gets dragged across must be covered with carpet or cardboard so it doesnt scratch.All this adds to production cost.

Comment

Thanks for the advice and opinions - that was what I was looking for. It sounded cheap and crappy-looking but Im hearing that it looks nice. No chance of seeing one up here in the sticks so everything has to be done from the Net. I could stretch to the stainless one but the Missus would spew. It is such a nice looking machine from the front that I was worried the black sides would ruin the whole appearance thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocky link=1221650035/0#11 date=1221807798
                           It is such a nice looking machine from the front that I was worried the black sides would ruin the whole appearance thing.
                          Possibly doesnt have the bling factor of the all-stainless but Im not complaining at all. The black fits in well with my kitchen and the black granite benchtop so it wasnt a factor for me anyway. Anyway, judge for yourself (mindful that this isnt your kitchen)

Comment

Look at all the black on the silver mazzer. Pair very well. Case closed  ;D

Comment

Flynnaus, That certainly does look nice on your bench.
                              What baskets came standard with your machine and do you use the standard ones or have you moved to bigger capacity ones.

Comment

Working...
                              X