Sunbeam 6910 extraction volume

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunbeam 6910 extraction volume

Just wondering how many mils owners are pulling from this machine from the double basket (That is before blonding etc)

Re: Sunbeam 6910 extraction volume

I have had mine several weeks and I have tested the volume several times in that period. I find it is constant at about 63mls from the double with no blonding. Maybe I am fortunate. I have only got blonding when I have been to lazy to grind or tamp properly. :

Comment

In what kind of time?

Comment

Originally posted by runfast link=1221883172/0#0 date=1221883172
        Just wondering how many mils owners are pulling from this machine from the double basket. Anyone getting more than 45 mls? (That is before blonding etc)
        Ive been using my 6910 for about 3 weeks now.

It took me about 1.75kg of good beans before I got my first measured 30ml in 30 seconds X 2 with the supplied double basket, and about another 200grams before I could consistently claim to be doing so.

Being a completely pedantic fool means I used most of the beans doing "what if" deliberate measured experimenting ie, "what if" I use 17 grams, 18 grams, 19 grams, 20 grams, 21 grams? "what if" I use 2 tamps, 3 tamps? "what if" I tap the PF twice on the bench between tamps or 3 times? etc etc ad infinitum, ad nauseum.

To say I am stunned at the quality of what the SB delivers would be an understatement.

Even "She Who Must Be Obeyed" who is an ultra critical confirmed tea drinker now actually requests 2 or 3 lattes a day and hasnt made a remark containing the words "waste," "uneccessary," "indulgence" or "BS" in over a week.

In answer to the OP, using my current bean selection, I can get a beautiful, measured 30mls in 30 seconds X 2 (before significant blonding)using 16gms ground weight, using the fill/tamp/fill/tamp/fill tamp method recommended at the school and in the instruction book (with 3 taps of the PF on the tamperstand between fills) and a final 15kg tamp and polish.
        The EM450 grinder is set on "5" and the only alterations I have made to the default machine settings are:

Espresso Thermoblock +4[ch730]C
        Steam thermoblock     +10[ch730]C
        Steam pump rate        - 0.2

I spoke to Paul Bassett and the Sunbeam crew at the Perth Food and Wine Show prior to purchasing the 6910 and my "B/S alert" went into full overdrive when Paul made the statement that he could produce competition quality espresso and latte art using the 6910.

YMMV, but this lifetime cynic is simply stunned at what the 6910, patience and perserverance can achieve

Comment

I had never timed it as the coffee was quite good. However after you asked.  on an under tamped double basket I got 17 seconds (with the double cup button) but it didnt make it to the proper pressure.  On the second basket it just made it into the yellow (must adjust the grind again). I got 25 seconds on the manual before I got blonding with a 55ml shot.  I will try again tomorrow or I wont sleep tonight  ;D. I use the fill and tap on the bench to settle then fill again then level then tamp to about 15kg give or take (The Pullman method or a derivative thereof). I do not overdose as this caused issues when I first got the machine.

I will let you know how I go.

Comment

Just checking - when you are pulling the shots that are to your satisfaction, whereabouts is the dial pointing at? I find that the best shots are in the brown region. Is this the case with your machine too?

Comment

Agreed, just before the red seems to get the best result.

Comment

I aim for the top of the yellow - bottom of the brown. Otherwise I get coffee escaping from the PF. I have found that the pour time depends a lot on the grind and tamp pressure. I get consistently about 25 sec. to 34 secs. depending on the tamp pressure and the grind.

I can say I have only had one or two unpalatable shots usually because I have not tamped properly or have not adjusted the grind to a new bean.

Comment

with a slightly courser grind volume has been restored -  (I sound like a Internet service provider) ;D

Stan, does the 6910 react much better to the Mazzer Mini compared with the 0480?

Comment

It reacts better to a Gaggia MDF than the 0450 so Id be betting yes.

Comment

I had the Mazzer before I bought the 6910 so I havent used it with the em0480. I use that for plunger when I am forced to. But the Mazzer improved the taste/quality on my Cafe Crema (EM4800C non pressurised baskets) before I bought the 6910 so I would bet that it would improve the taste on the 6910 as well.

The difference in the flavours was quite noticeable it is hard to explain but the flavours from the better grinder were more complex and you could detect the different flavours present. I havent got a good enough palate to distinguish all the flavours but take it as a promise that your coffee experience will be enriched by a better grinder. Any grinder in this class would produce similar benefits. I did not have the benefit of dropping into a sponsor and comparing grinders as I am a couple of thousand kilometers away from Sydney and Melbourne. But I would like to have had a bit more of a look around.

I am happy with the Mazzer Mini (doser) but in the back of the mind there could always be something better [smiley=evil.gif]. However I bought after searching this site and others and came to a conclusion that the Mazzer Mini would suit my usage. But on reading recent threads about the Macap grinders I would have liked to have a look at them as well. Upgradeitis is a b#t@h :

Comment

I want to know how much Sunbeam are paying Paul Bassett

Im sure the 6910 is a great machine... and after talking to him at the food and wine show I was interested... I just didnt like the fact he bagged out the silvia and every boiler machine in its class. There is nothing scarier than a pro barista with a product to push

Sunbeam deserve points for allowing people to tweak their settings on the machine... atleast it seems like they are listening to customers.

Comment

... i think it varies by bean type, roast level and days the bean had matured since roasted.

60ml with the sunbeam "double" that is actually a triple shouldnt be too difficult to pull in >25s before blonding.

Comment

Working...
                          X