Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Levetta, when to extract ?

well i hope i dont incur the wrath of Mal but i did search  

decided to get my Levetta/Mini Mazzer out of their boxes and have a play this weekend while the g/f is away, amazing there is enough bench space for them afterall  :P

so, anyway ive just about nipped up on caffeine   but i cant remember the process of when to extract, anytime at all after the machine is up to temp or is it best to wait for the boiler light to come on ?
    ive been flushing to bring it on and then lock the portafilter in place and extract ?

so is it necessary to bring the light on before extraction ?

also, is there a way of bringing the light/boiler on by flushing through the group head without raising the lever to the full up position, like with the hot water button, oh and what is the middle position used for? just found a thread in relation

thanks

Darren

Re: Levetta, when to extract ?

All I have on file is the steaming guide for the Levetta
    Good for you to save for when needed
    See PDF

KK

Comment

thanks KK, ive been using that process for priming the boiler after steaming, ive seen the link posted a couple of times but i actually went to Lavibiemme site looking for it hoping to find more info but i couldnt find it so i can only assume its in there somewhere seeing as though there is a link to it

Darren

Comment

Also, is there a way of bringing the light/boiler on by flushing through the group head without raising the lever to the full up position, like with the hot water button, oh and what is the middle position used for? just found a thread in relation  

thanks

Darren
        Regarding the lever
        It is your only on/off switch (based on my Bezzera Lever switch)

Up is on
        Middle is standby on the up swing /off on the down swing
        Down is off and pressure release

KK

Comment

Hi Darren,

I dont bother waiting for the boiler light to come on, but make sure to allow the machine about 1/2 hour to warm up (as you said - up to temp). I have mine connected via a timer so that it comes on in time for the morning cuppas. Also it turns off by itself if I forget to turn it off going to work.

If you dont think the water is getting hot enough, you can vary the temp by turning up the adjustment a little clockwise with a flat screwdriver - doesnt need much - and it is down the little hole at the front right when you take the cup warmer off.

I guess another way would be to push the steam button for a while, as that gets the boiler going, but not alot of control over the temp other than very hot.

Cheers

Comment

cheers Phil

i was a little hesitant to start playing with adjustments without any way of measuring my adjustments but yeah i do like my caps hot and ive noticed they arent the hottest but this could have a little to do with my fumbling and bumbling at the moment
            i noticed in another thread where you were asking about temp adjustment etc

i was thinking of adding the grouphead thermometer like Sammus has on his VBM but i was thinking if im going to spend approx $100 US i should just wait and see if the dollar strengthens and just go for the Scace device, the Scace 2 is a bit rich and im thinking i may be able to add a gauge anyway and save a buck

Darren

Comment

Originally posted by Banjo link=1221969955/0#0 date=1221969955
              What? :-? :P

Comment

Hi Banjo,

I tend to disagree on this point with Philmac. I always heat my cups with water through the group before extracting, thus ensuring that the boiler light comes on. While waiting for the boiler light to go off,
                ( signifying optimal temperature has been reached ) I grind my beans,
                fill the portafilter, then tamp.

Once the light has just gone out, I empty my cups, lock in the portafilter then make the extraction.

If you simply make your extraction at random, it often eventuates that the boiler light comes on just when you have started to extract, meaning that you may be pouring your shots when the temperature is a little too low, risking a less than ideal taste.

I really think it helps to have a consistent workflow if you want to achieve consistent results...just my experience, after nearly a year with the Levetta.

Regards

Trevorbeans

Comment

Originally posted by Mal link=1221969955/0#6 date=1221980586
                  Originally posted by Banjo link=1221969955/0#0 date=1221969955
                  What? :-?    :P
                  just wait till i post my first oversize pics  ;D

Trevorbeans wrote:
                  If you simply make your extraction at random, it often eventuates that the boiler light comes on just when you have started to extract, meaning that you may be pouring your shots when the temperature is a little too low, risking a less than ideal taste
                  that was kinda my way of thinking on all this

i checked Philmacs thread on temp and adjusted the thermostat slightly and yep a bit hotter  
                  the puck was a lot drier as well

Darren

Comment

Originally posted by Trevorbeans link=1221969955/0#7 date=1221983603
                    I really think it helps to have a consistent workflow if you want to achieve consistent results...just my experience, after nearly a year with the Levetta.
                    Consistency is everything when making coffee, so probably very good advice. I shall also try the above and see if there is any difference, although the thermal mass of the big group head may come into play here and even things out.

Might be time to drag out the ol bent thermocouple and take some readings see what it says.

Cheers

Comment

i adjusted the thermostat slightly, from 10 oclock to 11 oclock, ive noticed now if i flush through the grouphead to bring the light on im getting steam/splattering water, this wouldnt be ideal for hitting a freshly tamped puck ?
                      to counter this ive been running water through it till it settles and then locking into place

even with this slight adjustment the boiler is re-heating a lot more regular, think it might be time to stop flying by the seat of my pants and know exactly where im at

Darren

Comment

Does sound a little hot, just turn it back to say halfway between 10 and 11 and see how you go.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                        X