Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Last ditch effort to clean EM69xx steam wand.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last ditch effort to clean EM69xx steam wand.

Quite often I hear and see people with blocked steam wands..

A: Regularly clean your steam tip (may need to remove and soak in cleaner every so often) and use filtered water...

However if it has had scale or been sitting and crap has made its way into the steam thermo block... You have a problem... :P

1: A shot of my over crowded work bench # 3 Me = Wife = >

2: A closer view of the EM6910 with side panel removed and some of teh tools you will need. Note the anti tamper driver and the length of the anti tamper screw...

NOTE: Power lead is not plugged in... Switching off at the wall is NOT good enough.

3: A closer look at the Steam thermo block... Note: When undoing the nut you will need to also hold the top brass fitting so that you do not crack / break the seal / connection to the thermoblock...

I use a special ring spanner that is set up for fine plumbing work and a shifter.. I then attach the Large boor Si tubing and syringe to the brass fitting and start working the system... Air first... before you try pushing and sucking fluid.... Also do not forget to open the steam knob...

To Date I have not had a blockage in teh copper tubing to the Steam OP valve which is mounted directly on top of the blue steam pump. If you have a blockage or high back pleasure (>4.8 bar) this will vent out the waste line...

I usually use a 50 / 60 ml syringe, but have a selection of 10, 20, 30 and 50. Where it is a bad blockage I run a vacuum pump such that the pressure is in reverse of the normal flow..

You will also see that the fine black coated copper line from the gauge to the top pressure take of fitting... I am still playing but by compressing and stretching, you can affect the calibration of the gauge.

Trust this post is of some assistance to someone...

Re: Last ditch effort to clean EM69xx steam wand.

whoa!

Comment

Thanks AM. I hope not to have to play inside for some time but its good to have a few clues in advance if it happens.

Comment

Well your in Brisbane so feel free to keep in touch... Always happy to assist where I can..

Cupping this Saturday at west end...

Besides with my NEW purchases, I am going to be asking lots and on the lookout for stuff myself...

Comment

Hey AngerManagement, its not relate to this thread, can u please show me how to change the collar (with picture)? That will be much apperciate~~

Tony.

Comment

Hi AngerManagement.
            I would like to give this a try, as I have been having problems with my steam production as well.
            Can you tell me what fluid you use to flush through the thermoblock? Is it just a de-scaling fluid?
            Thanks

Jez

Comment

Originally posted by 7E716E222124140 link=1232674232/5#5 date=1234003691
              Can you tell me what fluid you use to flush through the thermoblock?

Just be careful when you descale small pipes - like in the thermoblock.

Descaling fluid.... even the commercial brews for this.... can cause bits of scale to come off without being fully dissolved. (I had lots of these "chunks" of scale when I descaled my LC boiler).

These chunks arent a problem within a boiler.... even a Silvia sized one.... but within a thin pipe inside the thermoblock.... they could clump together and block the pipe....

So softened water in the tank all the time.... and frequent descaling (before there is significant build up) would be fine.... but descaling after the pipe has already been restricted could spell disaster....

Do it very, very slowly (plenty of time for the fluid to dissolve the scale.... and dont push the fluid through too fast) would be the safest bet.

Comment

Originally posted by 292639757673430 link=1232674232/5#5 date=1234003691
                Hi AngerManagement.
                I would like to give this a try, as I have been having problems with my steam production as well.
                Can you tell me what fluid you use to flush through the thermoblock? Is it just a de-scaling fluid?
                Thanks

Jez

In teh first instance.. What do you mean by Problems... Temp / Volume of Steam ????

A: Set the wetness to as wet as you can and the Steam temp to as low as you can...

Then using a good descaler... Follow the manual for the main system... But open and close the steam as well.. You will need to do this a few times and wrap the steam wand in a cold wet towel... Helps to keep the steam down.. You have to get the clean water through and the descaler and water into the system and give it time to work...

Then let it sit 4 a while and do again... say 10 min Then let it sit even further say another 10 min...

Depending on you problem... You may see the difference already...

Then flush with clean water and do lots of start stops with the steam... Thiis is where some time is taken as YOU have to CLEAR all the chemicals or you milk will taste like descaler.

NOTE: Do all this out side and try to get a painters mask or use a cloth over your face... Some people are very sensitive to chemicals...

If all that does not work, then you have to pull down and use manual methods... With teh manual method I do have some special fluid ( light viscosity) but it is not commercially available. I tend to try a strong descale mix first and use a suck / pump through the Steam thermo block. I am sure it is the movement of fluid going in both ways that helps to remove the crap...

If it is hard caked on scale... Then it just takes time and patience... If it is fully blocked... Then thats where you donate to me.... And I get to play ;D

Comment

Thanks for your help guys.
                  I have never run de-scaler through the steam pump because the instruction manual says not to! In fact says nothing about cleaning steam system.
                  I will run through this process and report back the results.

Jez

Comment

Hi again.
                    I went through the process above to clean out the steam system. No luck, unfortunatley . It still splutters steam in small amounts. There does seem to be plenty of hot air though. When the wand is in the milk it makes the most horrible screaming sound.
                    Have tried all the different settings for temp and wettness. No difference.
                    Any more ideas that I might try?

Jez

Comment

Originally posted by 424D521E1D18280 link=1232674232/9#9 date=1234067343
                      Hi again.
                      I went through the process above to clean out the steam system. No luck, unfortunatley . It still splutters steam in small amounts. There does seem to be plenty of hot air though. When the wand is in the milk it makes the most horrible screaming sound.
                      Have tried all the different settings for temp and wettness. No difference.
                      Any more ideas that I might try?

Jez

Sounds like you need a service person to dissemble and do a little work...

Now if you were in Brisbane... No prob...

One of the Brisbane CSs had what sounds liek the same problem and his fix was the micro switch on the steam knob... But words and explanations that sound the same can be about different problems... I will attempt to track him down, but you may have better luck... Many peoplel on log on when they have a problem and do not visit again for some time..

As to the screaming.. Well that can be a user / method issue...

Comment

I would follow up with a sponsor first, as they have either the ability or know who to go to..

Euro Coffee & Appliances (Fix) would be the first contact.. That I could think of in your area...

Comment

Originally posted by 435E5E57465D50525D330 link=impost date=1268148076
                          Thanks for the quick reply.

Is the italian pump significantly better quality? I thought Sunbeam makes a big fuss that the two pumps are both italian, the rest from china. not much use that has made.

If its worth the extra, I would be happy to go with the italian if you can get it. And regards to postage - there are a few options. Aus post will send to Indonesia, I will pay for this (probably $25ish). Or if this is too much to ask, my rel who lives in Bris, and could pick it up from you in Albion.
                          I will follow up with sparkys as to availability... Give me a day or two

Yes the Italian is better ... Is it worth the extra ???? Not sure.... Also understand they are harder to obtain..

I am happy to;

1: Obtain a pump of your choice but have no control over availability....

2: Hold for your contact to collect and post off.

In the mean time read this topic from top to bottem

And

This one as well. http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1236770389 note reply 15

I would suggest ya try the cleaning and then make a call as to if ya want the pump or not..

AM

Comment

Im having a crack at the steam wand descaling as I type. Ill let you know what happens. Fingers crossed

Comment

Well that appears to have done the trick . I descaled the machine and turned it off 3 times, leaving it for 12 minutes each time. Then flushed a full tank through the group head and .5 of a litre through the steam wand. It took me over an hour to get that through the wand. I guess if it takes that long to get the water through it, it would have only had a tiny bit of descaling solution in it anyway.

One tip, I placed the steam wand into a pyrex measuring jug with water in it to check its performance. Saves steam going everywhere, you get to see how vigorously the water moves, and no need to take the loud ass machine outside. Although it screams pretty badly due to the angle of the wand in the jug.

Thanks AM for the proceedure.

Comment

Working...
                              X