Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunbeam EM6910 espresso video

Hey crew,

I threw together a video of an espresso brew on my EM6910. Ive only had i a few months, Im still new to all of this (coffee). Please excuse the fast extraction in the clip, its not a perfect shot, but I had fun making the video
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXGilwwvzf4&fmt=22

James

Re: Sunbeam EM6910 espresso video

Some pleasant background distraction and interestingly you gauge only got to about 11...

Mine performs about the same, but if I push it 12:00 with a good fine grind...

The Shot ran for about 18sec ..... So what did it go down like ?

I usually try for about 25sec

Other than that the camera work was clean and not jerky and showed what had to be showed...

Note 1: Did not see the puck
    Note 2: Locks in at 6 so you still have a good collar and group seal

Well done...

Comment

Hi James,

Nice vid. Good high quality and the editing to show different angles is great.

few things I noticed regarding your gear. Youre grinder is set very fine, but still seems to run the shot too quickly. You might want to contact sunbeam and find out about some spacers for the grinder, that should allow it to grind at a more ideal setting.

Also ask them about the spout extension while youre at it. It will help cut down on the mess

Your dose and tamp is similar to mine and Ive been having reasonably good results using that routine.

Comment

Hi guys, the extraction was fast. The grind wasnt fine enough, most of the time my gauge sits just pas the brown on about 1oclock, extracts slower, and longer.

This morning I set the grinder to 4. The shot was excellent. Yeah it needs spacers. The grinder is brand new too.

Ill talk to sunbeam when I get a chance. Will they send me the spacers for free? Hard to fit?

Comment

Have a look see in teh Grinder section... Lot on the spacers and NO not hard at all.

SB should send NO problem...

Comment

Cool, thanks!

About the group handle at 6oclock. its pretty much perfect. Ive noticed that my baskets have a small ridge on the top of the lip. My friends EM6910 baskets do not have this (he has the older model with the different steam wand tip too)... could it be that sunbeam changed their baskets to get a more six o clock setup? Ive also noticed most guys using other baskets with their sunbeam are way past six o clock.

Im very careful with loose grinds on my basket before inserting into the group, the less wear in there the better IMO.

Ive got the sunbeam coffee school class today at 1:30pm. Will let you know how it goes. Im fairly confident with my process now. Id love to learn some latte art though!

I was thinking this morning it would be nice to have a stainless steel drawer made, to sit under the EM6910, hold the tamp, thermometer, baskets, etc... no doubt would cost a fortune though!

Comment

Originally posted by 507B777F69571A0 link=1232713752/5#5 date=1232757694
              could it be that sunbeam changed their baskets to get a more six o clock setup?
              No.. At new they tend to start at about 7 - 6 and as the seal compresses and the collar get worn.. you have to keep moving further around... By the time you get towards 4 your pushing the limits...

Tamp / Grind size and correct dose level, will go a long way to getting the most out of the 6910 before repairs are needed. Seals are just an ongoing user stuff (do not leave the PF locked in when not using), but the collar is an issue.

Comment

got ya. I never leave the PF locked in, always clean the shower screen and gasket after each use of the machine.

My mate with the older EM6910.. oh god. I stayed there for NYE, got up the next day to make a coffee (he was still sleeping)....

I found the following:

PF still locked into group, PF had a puck from over a month ago still sitting in it, I had to scrape it out with a spoon. Shower screen was almost completely blocked. I had to remove all items and scrub them with a toothbrush and some baking soda (and still didnt completely unblock it).

Then when I had the machine clean, I grabbed his grinder out of the cupboard. It was a little non-adjustable unit that made grinds the size of peas (or close enough). obviously only for plunger coffee. ABORT.

No idea how hes been drinking his coffee all this time, he tried to convince me that he could pull a good shot. NO. it was just water. yuck. He was tamping the absolute shit out of it.. oh god.

Comment

Originally posted by 6249454D5B65280 link=1232713752/7#7 date=1232759018
                  got ya. I never leave the PF locked in, always clean the shower screen and gasket after each use of the machine.

My mate with the older EM6910.. oh god. I stayed there for NYE, got up the next day to make a coffee (he was still sleeping)....

I found the following:

PF still locked into group, PF had a puck from over a month ago still sitting in it, I had to scrape it out with a spoon. Shower screen was almost completely blocked. I had to remove all items and scrub them with a toothbrush and some baking soda (and still didnt completely unblock it).

Then when I had the machine clean, I grabbed his grinder out of the cupboard. It was a little non-adjustable unit that made grinds the size of peas (or close enough). obviously only for plunger coffee. ABORT.

No idea how hes been drinking his coffee all this time, he tried to convince me that he could pull a good shot. NO. it was just water. yuck. He was tamping the absolute sh!t out of it.. oh god.
                  Yep and SB would be blamed when the thing broke for making a crap Appliance

Comment

Nice clear video,  you dont get a lot of that on youtube.

Just one thing,  Not sure if u always do it or just on this video.  I was always told to never tamp with the spout of the PF on the bench,  use the side of the bench.  To be honest I dont really know if you can damage the PF spout or bench doing that but I personally think you are more balanced on the side of the bench compared to the tip of the spout.

Comment

Thanks the video is shot in HD on my Canon HV30. Youtube offer HD (sometimes) which is nice!

well pointed out with the tamping. I find it easier to tamp as I do it (not on the edge). The fact that my kitchen benches have a large rounded edge doesnt help, makes it very difficult to tamp actually.

sure would be hard with the single pour spout! Ill need to come up with something.

I did the sunbeam barista school today, I didnt learn anything that Ive not already played with or experienced from CS

I did however try a Reg Barber tamp and oh boy is it leaps and bounds better than the crap sunbeam one! Cant wait to buy a new tamper!

Comment

Hi Guys

Im in the same boat as James - if I use the edge of the bench, it slips off half the time and I lose my coffee to the floor (trust me, a cat licking up ground coffee is not a thing of beauty!)

I use the rubber mat that is at the bottom of the 0480 - I think its designed as a tamp mat, so I take it off, use it to tamp on, give it a wipe over and put it back in the base.

Its now looking a bit second hand, but it works like a treat!

Cheers
                        Di

Comment

I have rounded edges on my bench tops but I use a corner to place the group handle in for tamping.
                          No slips.

Comment

Thats one clear video James I love HD

I would see if you are pressing the puck enough check on a set of bathroom scales 15 to 20 kg is about right
                            You will be surprised how hard a press that is

My easy fix for the tamping acrobatics you all have is

For single spout PF I use the knock tube by placing the PF at the point where the handle meets the metal I place it on the knock tube brace as it is a steel rod covered with rubber

For double spout PF I use a small sheet of silicone mat and also the above if the mat cant be found

However the best piece of gear is a PF stand

KK

Comment

thanks for the tamping and grinding tips people. trust me I have it all sorted, it was just this particular vid where the extraction was too fast (my other shots are usually perfect). I just couldnt be bothered re-doing the video hehehe

Comment

Working...
                              X