Rancilio Lucy rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rancilio Lucy rebuild

Hello all, Newbie here. I have bought a second hand Lucy and Im given it a full once over. I have completely disassembled it so I can get the frame sand blasted and powder coated because of some rust issues. The question I have is the identification of one part as indicated in the photos. It has a tube (B) on it that goes into the tank. Does anybody know what it is/does?

Thanks, Andrew.

Re: Rancilio Lucy rebuild

By the way it took me a couple of hours to do this. Hope I can get it all back together.

Andrew.

Comment

Howdy and welcome to CS ANDREW

On the assumptiom the Lucy is a Silvia with a live in relation ship with a grinder, the two tubes will have the same function as for a Silvia.

One is the water feed inlet: ie the tube that sucks in  the water to make your coffee.
      The  second tube you refer to is the OPV [over pressure valve] outlet.

Basically when the brew pressure exceedes a presettable point [usually set between  9-11 bar] the  OPV will divert the excess pressure [its essentially a relief valve] back into the tank.

When the grind is too fine, or overdosed or you are backflushing,  [that is conditions where you exceed the OPV setting] the OPV will shunt off the excess water [to relieve the pressure] back into the reservoir.  

You can watch  this flow from the tube, for the above conditions.

Comment

Yeah, but I think its the inexplicable third tube thats the issue -- have a look at reply#6 from fix in
        http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1223797147 -- something about a low-water sensor?

BTW, awesome dismantling effort Andrew -- very impressive   8-)

But who ran over your poor mechanical cat??  (2nd pic)

Comment

Yep, that looks very similar to the low water sensor in my Faema.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. The pressure switch makes sense to me sort of. As the tube (B) goes back to the white and orange unit as indicated by the arrow and it doesnt have any other tubes coming out from it. I dont know how it could detect the level of the water in the tank by pressure though? The pressure differential between full and empty would be very small.

Andrew.

Comment

Welcome to CoffeeSnobs Andrew..... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Pretty sure that the device your arrow is pointing to is a pressure switch. Uses a large diameter diaphragm coupled to a sensitive micro-switch and is able to detect very small variations in pressure from the "bulb" immersed in the water reservoir. Just need to make sure that the sensing bulb is immersed fully into the reservoir to avoid false low-water trips...

Cheers
              Mal.

Comment

The question mark thingy looks very like a water level switch in a washing machine which in reality is a pneumatic switch. I have used one on my boat to control the anchor winch so that I dont have an electrical switch out on deck. Simply have a small diameter silicone rubber tube with a bulb on the end out on deck and the switch is safely inside below deck. Works like a charm.
                Id reckon Bill and Mal are on the money!
                By the way, did you get Lucy from a coffee place at Capalaba?
                They had one for sale a little while back.

Cheers,
                Alan

Comment

Originally posted by 55405B5F41504B320 link=1233383515/7#7 date=1233457102
                  By the way, did you get Lucy from a coffee place at Capalaba?
                  They had one for sale a little while back.

Cheers,
                  Alan
                  Hello Alan, Thanks for the reply. Now I understand how it works.

I bought it off eBay.

Now it is completely striped down Im considering changing the colour of the frame from black to red like in the modified photo. :-/ What do people think (my wife thinks leave it black)?

There is some rust on some of the welds and seams of the frame which was the reason for the strip down. Should I sand blast and powder coat or just grind the rust off and paint it with Kill Rust paint?

Thanks, Andrew.

Comment

If you can afford it, get it sand blasted and powder coated. Talk to the powder coat applicators and tell them that you want a system that gives the most protection.
                    If you dont want to go that way, still get it sand blasted, then paint with Galvit E90, then Killrust metal primer then Killrust gloss enamel.
                    You can buy all these as spray cans to achieve the best finish possible.
                    I used this system on a coupling on my boat and its still in perfect condition 15 years later. It was a festering block of steel before I treated it and it lives in close proximity to salt water.
                    Ill leave the colour to you!

Cheers,
                    Alan

Comment

I think make it orange!

Comment

Some more progress today. Glass bead blasted. When I pulled the boiler apart there was about 50mm of built up scale and deposits in the bottom.

Andrew.

YUCK

Thats BETTER

Looking GOOD

Comment

nice work. Leave it black (imo)

Comment

Purple, purple, purple! (Just my favourite colour. And I have purple Barista Tamper. )

Or whatever floats YOUR boat.

Greg

Comment

Some more progress. My parts ordered from site sponsors Coffee Parts came the other day and now Im starting to assemble things again. Ive done the boiler and the steam valve.

I should get the frame back from the powder coaters later this week.

By the way, super quick service from Coffee Parts, order placed at midday, received email an hour later saying "packed and sent" received items the next day in the post.

I made my self a new Portafilter handle after hours at work, what do you think?

Design Stage

Youtube Link to CAD/CAM video

Finished Part

Andrew.

Comment

Working...
                              X