Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

point me to dosing/tamping advice for EM6910/0480 pair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• point me to dosing/tamping advice for EM6910/0480 pair?

newbie here, Im sure the threads are there but the searching is proving a little tricky

Ive a Sunbeam pair: the 6910 and 0480 and Ive got some freshly roasted beans which are giving great shots...I just need some pointers to becoming more consistent

I find that grinding straight into the group head is convenient, if messy (despite adding a vinyl tubing chute to the grinder), but the dose piles up pretty high and spills; by the time I tamp it a bit, grind some more, spill some more, and tamp again, Im getting variable results which doesnt surprise me.

Can anyone either (a) give some advice or (b) point me to existing threads which Im sure are here (cos Im sure no-one wants to hear it all over again).

Cheers

Re: point me to dosing/tamping advice for EM6910/0480 pair?

Hey mcr,

Not 100% sure if there is a thread like that but didnt your machine come with a DVD?

Having said that ours didnt...

Only advice I can offer is the free Sunbeam course. My wife did it (as only one person is allowed to) and it answered all that and more.

Our improvement was noticeable straightaway, as was the depleted stocks of roasted beans while she practiced ;D

Chris

Comment

no, no DVD
      but, I was in the shop the other day (looking for an iron) and thought I spotted one: maye mine?
      might have to go back and talk to them

the coffe school sounds good, but were a bit out of town so its difficult timing-wise

thanks

Comment

Hi MCR,

Give the sunbeam customer service a ring, they might be kind enough to send you out another DVD. If not, Im sure CSers can come to the party.

Comment

Hi mcr, try measuring out your beans for a shot and grinding into the plastic container you got with the grinder, then stir the grinds to break up the clumps and dose into your portafilter giving it a light tap to settle then level it off and tamp. This method worked with my Rocky and keeps mess levels to a minimum.

Comment

Roughly, you should have enough coffee in the basket so that 1/2 of the metal on the sunbeam tamper is visible above the basket of the PF, then adjust grind so that you get your 30ml in 30 sec single shot or 60ml in 30 sec double shot.

I dont tend to muck around with complicated dosing / distribution techniques -

Grind into the PF, tap on a mat a few times, grind some more, tap a few more times, then grind a 3rd time and tap. Place tamper on the top of the coffee, and "nutate" (this is covered in another thread in the general coffee area IIRC), then tamp firmly only once. Dust off any coffee from the lugs of the PF, lock and load.

I generally get the amount of the tamper above the rim pretty close to the same each time, get broadly the same spot on the pressure gauge each time and get 60ml in about 25secs which suits my needs / taste just fine.

The 480 does not like the "just enough beans" in the hopper method, you can get around this with a small bag of rice to stop the beans popcorning (bouncing in and out of the burrs), but again, too much of a pain for me. I keep the grinder about 1/2 full with beans.

You will learn that the grinder (or any grinder) is not a set and forget device, you will need to adjust your grind for different beans, and sometimes different age of beans, humidity etc. I dont think the 480 is "that adjustable" to take into account a slight difference in humidity, who knows, I could be wrong, but its not a problem in this part of the world at the moment anyways.

Good luck and stick with it, its a great joy when you get it right

Sen

Comment

thanks, Ill try it this way
              couldnt find that thread BTW, but found some info and a video on nutating (?nutation) elsewhere
              cheers
              M

Comment

I second what Senator has said. My routine is pretty similar...
                • I add beans to the hopper so that they are just above the level of the plastic thing in the center
                • I then grind into the plastic container, stir the ground coffee with a spoon and then spoon into the PF, tapping once or twice before filling it so that it over the top of the PF lip. (note do NOT tamp yet)
                • I use an old knife (blunt side) to push the ground coffee around to evenly distribute it in the PF and then "scrape" it across the top of the PF to leave a flat surface.
                • Now tamp. The level after tamping should be 4-8mm below the lip.
                • Pour time should be in the 15-25 sec realm (longer better) and look for early blonding (bad bad). I used to get early blonding from tamping too many times and now I just see a hint of it just before the shot finishes (if at all).

A few other things to watch for: keep the PF hot by leaving it in the machine until you use it (not out on the bench); run water though the GH before and after each coffee; keep cups warm on top of machine or warm them with some hot water out of the right side outlet. Check puck quality (should be dry) and start with fresh beans.

Comment

Originally posted by 717F6E757F791C0 link=1239515728/0#0 date=1239515728

I find that grinding straight into the group head is convenient, if messy (despite adding a vinyl tubing chute to the grinder), but the dose piles up pretty high and spills
                  If you e-mail Sunbeam or call them and tell them that the grinder is making a mess, they may send you a rubber attachment that you can attach to the unit.

Sent it to me free of charge, and makes a remarkable difference

Good luck! ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 717F6E757F791C0 link=1239515728/0#0 date=1239515728
                    Can anyone either (a) give some advice or (b) point me to existing threads which Im sure are here (cos Im sure no-one wants to hear it all over again).
                    Just did the Sunbeam training class yesterday and my results have improved out of sight

Let me run through the steps to make the pair perform:

1. Fill the hopper - dont just add a dose. It needs the weight of the beans to grind consistently.

2. Grind straight into the basket until you have a mound that is just visible above the basket top.

3. Insert tamper to settle grinds DO NOT TAMP YET.

4. Repeat 2 & 3.

5. Repeat 2 & 3 again.

6. Tamp by leaning on the tamper and then twist to smooth the surface.

7. The grounds should be about 2-3 mm below the basket top.

8. Pull the shot manually stopping when blonding begins.

The pour should be the classic honey stream dripping down to the cups.

The important thing is to keep the dosing and tamping consistent and to vary the grind to adjust the shot. That way you have only one variable to worry about.

Numbers dont mean much! Dont concentrate on grind setting numbers - just move it up or down depending on whether you want to slow down or speed up the pour. Dont even worry about timing the shot. Its getting the right resistance, colour and stopping at the right moment that makes a great shot.

You will know by the taste when youve got it right.

Works for me ;D

Cheers,

Comment

Well done young man!!

You paid attention ;D

Chris

Comment

Yeah, not bad for a 76 year old pensioner
                        Cheers,

Comment

Originally posted by 4364626568110 link=1239515728/9#9 date=1243740701
                          6. Tamp by leaning on the tamper and then twist to smooth the surface.
                          Impossible (almost) with the rough finish on the Sunbeam tamper.

What did they say about how to use the gauge?

Comment

Originally posted by 1A263B202A2B3C29212A4E0 link=1239515728/12#12 date=1243745789
                            What did they say about how to use the gauge?
                            Pretty much as the manual states, but they didnt seem too fussed about it. They stressed the pour quality above all else.

I did notice when cleaning the portafilter that the black disk wasnt there

I did ask what settings they used on the EM9610 and they said they were all left at factory settings.

I meant to ask about but time got away.

Cheers,

Comment

I recommend ditching the black disk asap! I think its designed to avoid hot coffee coming into contact with a cold PF. Makes its a lot easier to clean the PF without it.

I agree with the gauge comments. When i did the course (Adelaide) the guys said to basically ignore it and watch the shot! I was quickly producing much better shots.

Has anyone else with a 6910 had any issues with the laminate/coating on the steam knob coming off/bubbling? I thought maybe this was a sticker type protective coating when it started to bubble but im pretty certain it isnt?

Comment

Working...
                              X