Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

58mm tamper with standard Rancilio double basket??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 58mm tamper with standard Rancilio double basket??

All,

If I buy a 58mm tamper will it fit snugly in my stock standard Rancilio double basket ?

PS I really dont want to fork out for a Pullman basket tamper combo.

Re: 58mm tamper with standard Rancilio double basket??

Take the your Rancilio basket with you when you go to buy.

Comment

The Silvia baskets Ive measured have been about 58.5mm, but Im not sure how much variation there is. They arent very deep though compared to other double baskets.

charlie

Comment

Ok great thanks for that.

Comment

When I had a Rancilio Silvia, I tried it out with s number of different 58mm tampers and all fit pretty well. They wont be as snug as one of the custom Pullman tampers, but theyll do the job.

Comment

Originally posted by 1A3524123C31333B13313635500 link=1240099733/2#2 date=1240100422
            The Silvia baskets Ive measured have been about 58.5mm, but Im not sure how much variation there is. They arent very deep though compared to other double baskets.

charlie
            The records weve collected over the last six years show Silvia baskets vary from about 58.1 to 59.1. One example of the differences can be seen at http://www.coffeetamper.com.au/information/faq.html#basket-discrepancies

So pmboy, if youre not wanting to pay for a fitted combo / basket, your best bet would be flynn_aus advice and take your basket with you when you buy a tamper. In all likelihood pretty well anything you come across will be 58.0mm +/- 0.05mm so its unlikely therell be much difference, but at least youll be able to decide whether or not youre happy with the clearance.

Greg

Comment

Hi,

Perhaps related to this topic, are there any baskets that would fit a Silvia and also a generic 58mm S/S tamper well?

(I have a tamper already, but it does not fit the double basket perfectly well. There is about a 1mm gap.)

For example, what are typical sizes for LM or Synesso baskets which I recall have been recommended for use in Silvia around here?

Comment

Right, thanks Greg.

danq: with all that gear surely you can shell out a few more lobsters for a Pullman combo!

Comment

Hi PB200,

If the results indicated that I really needed a better and better-fitting tamper, than I would, of course, look closely into buying a Pullman/Synesso combo.

However, except for the first morning shot, my coffees are generally excellent, at least to my not too educated palate. (I have found only 3 places here in Newcastle that could compete with it.)

The only thing is that, since the diameter of the tamper is a bit too small, achieving a nice smooth and even surface requires a little more effort and, say 5 seconds. Thus, I cant really justify (my gf loves her morning coffees as they are now) spending too much just for being lazy. However, I am happy to spend a couple of dollars on getting a better fitting, and hopefully deeper, basket.

Cheers and good luck with the tamper-search!

Daniel

Comment

Daniel

Yeah same here really. I have the crap plastic tamper that comes with the Silvia, but I still get excellent shots, certainly better than most cafes. It just takes a bit of fussing about as you said. I do a firm N,E,S,W run around the edges to begin than tamp hard in the centre, and generally get pretty good extraction. Its just not as reliable as using a tamper which fits the basket I guess. I was wondering what the difference of a good tamper is, given how much everyone bangs on about it here I would say there must be some difference. But may have to hold off as Ive dusted enough cash on things coffee recently.

Comment

Originally posted by 76737C63120 link=1240099733/6#6 date=1240191480
                      Hi,

Perhaps related to this topic, are there any baskets that would fit a Silvia and also a generic 58mm S/S tamper well?

(I have a tamper already, but it does not fit the double basket perfectly well. There is about a 1mm gap.)

For example, what are typical sizes for LM or Synesso baskets which I recall have been recommended for use in Silvia around here?
                      Most recent generation double baskets like Synessos, Sunbeam EM69xx etc are fairly large and deep. If you want a smaller basket you might try a LM or a La Cimbali as these are still made to older and smaller diameters. However by doing that youre probably going to retain a shallow basket with less persistent shots than youll typically get from a Synesso or similar.

If youre happy with your shots thats the main thing. Having said that, sometimes we dont realise what were missing or what sort of improvements could be had. A friend of mine recently bought a EM6910 and was rapt with the results he was getting from Vittoria Cafe Latte blend (supermarket pre-ground in the pressurised baskets) because he was used to a 5 year old low-end Sunbeam. He didnt see the need for a grinder at all - until I brought mine around! He couldnt believe the difference, especially running a shot through the normal double basket - the pressure gauge hardly moved on his pre-ground and got thin black water; from my beans it was thick, syrupy espresso! Hes now in the market for an EM0480.

In your case a basket wont make as big a difference as the grinder did for my friend, but chances are your shots will be richer with a deeper basket and tamping less frustrating with a properly fitted tool, and no chance of peripheral channeling.

Greg

Comment

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your reply.

I am, indeed, happy with my shots, but have to cut them as soon as blonding starts, which is at about 40ml. I suppose that a deeper basket would help me to be able get more nice coffee into the cup.

On the other hand, and as you wrote, I do not know what I am missing out on (and would perhaps not even appreciate the difference). It would be great if there was a sponsor nearby in Newcastle, where I could check things for myself, taste differences and decide accordingly. As I wrote somewhere before, I envy those of you in bigger cities.

Daniel

Comment

Working...
                        X