Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BReville bes860 fresca ...clever or never????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BReville bes860 fresca ...clever or never????

have just seen this on their website - cant get my head around whether its a good idea or not ... has anyone used it?

are there any advantages to having the two appliances combined or am i better off buying two separate ?

itll be our first foray into a machine this expensive - and its kinda between this and the senbeam EM5900 and EM0450 grinder...

any opinons or experience would be welcomed

Re: BReville bes860 fresca ...clever or never????

Not especially appealing. You have to question the heat exchange from the machine effecting the quality of the beans. Arent they "supposed" to be promoting fresh beans with this concept?

You have to be sacrificing something if you are squeezing a grinder into the normal body of an espresso machine. Some grinders need calibrating and wash my mouth out with soap when I say "sometimes servicing"!!! Cant see where the 2 in 1 deal helps in either of these regards.

Beef up the machine before worrying about gimmicks.

Comment

this one...

Comment

mmm warm beans..... ;D

Comment

Hi

We’ve had a BES860 for a few weeks now, its early days but so far it’s all been fairly positive. Hopefully this will continue in the long term.

Nothing novel about combo grinder – they have been around for a while such as the Nemox and I think Rancilio did a Silvia version called the Lucy.

Admittedly we have taken a bit of a punt going with the 860 (I think it was only released earlier this year) but having “the world’s smallest kitchen bench” was a factor. We got sick of having to pack away the grinder every time we wanted to chop up the veggies.

Promising results so far – 860 is delivering plenty of good quality crema and consistent results.  We have been using the single wall filters supplied and fresh beans from Coffee Alchemy (Marrickville).

Regarding warm beans – this hasn’t really been an issue as we only put the required volume of beans into the hopper just before we are about to grind. We don’t get through beans that quickly (a couple of coffees a day) so leaving them in the hopper even for a day or so (heat or no heat) makes a noticeable difference in the taste and crema. We keep our beans stored in the pantry air tight and away from light.

A fair point about having to service the grinder, guess we’ll cross that bridge when it happens. On the upside, the inbuilt grinder is specifically calibrated just to make espresso, (i.e. no plunger or drip settings). So far no problems dialling in the right grind to hit the 25 sec pour. Also timed grind dosage is helping to keep our shots more consistent.

Criticisms so far;
          No hot water spout - had it on my last machine and I really miss it.
          Drip tray capacity is a bit small, always needs to be emptied.

Cheers and good luck with whatever set up you choose.

Comment

Thanks for your comments - very helpful

its the servicing that worries me - i cant get me head around whether the combo is

good - like camera in a phone

or

bad - like a dvd player in a flat screen

im still lenaing toward the Sunbeam EM5900 and grinder - theres not much talk of it on here - i guess its not as serious as their EM6910 right

cheers though for the comments

Comment

No - I havent heard much about the 5900 either. Seems to be overshadowed by the highly regarded 6910 - though this model seems to be plagued with reliability issues.

Maybe you could list your requirements (coffees per day, budget, current skill, desired level of involvement) and perhaps the more
              knowledgable CSers might be able to recommend some suitable setup options.

Certainly a seperate units set up will give you a lot more choices and the flexibilty to upgrade the units individually at a later date if thats your gig.

As for combos clever or never...

pc + monitor + modem OR wireless laptop

As the sole purpose of the grinder and espresso machine is ultimately to deliver a top drop in your cup, there is some logic to having a single unit deliver the bean to cup in the most effective way.
              Though thats what a auto does and the results a pretty poor. A combo still allows that critical manual/fun interaction.

future trend ... or just another dvd player in a flat screen?

Re: servicing issues - essentially 860 still allows the same general service access available on indvidual Breville or Sunbeam units. The only downside is I lose the benefit of both machines if I have to send it off for a service/repair.

Comment

Originally posted by 2E322E2E3231315D0 link=1241050011/6#6 date=1241708712
                6910 - though this model seems to be plagued with reliability issues.

Slightly off topic but I really think we need a poll on ex and current users to determine whether it is at plague proportions...

Comment

Originally posted by 484058524F2B0 link=1241050011/7#7 date=1241749147
                  Originally posted by 2E322E2E3231315D0 link=1241050011/6#6 date=1241708712
                  6910 - though this model seems to be plagued with reliability issues.

Slightly off topic but I really think we need a poll on ex and current users to determine whether it is at plague proportions...

It would be interesting...

But then those that never had problems may never even have been to CS for many reasons.. Some of us found CS in trying to solve a problem...

I dont thing the unit is that bad... Users and User expectations have a lot to do with it..

A great poll would be Why and How you found CS ?

Comment

[QUOTE=7F50595B4C735F505F595B535B504A3E0 link=1241050011/8#8 date=1241753937][QUOTE=484058524F2B0 link=1241050011/7#7 date=1241749147

It would be interesting...

But then those that never had problems may never even have been to CS for many reasons..  Some of us found CS in trying to solve a problem...

[/QUOTE]

Good point.

Originally posted by 7F50595B4C735F505F595B535B504A3E0 link=1241050011/8#8 date=1241753937

I dont thing the unit is that bad...  Users and User expectations have a lot to do with it..

The guy running the free course said "if you dont look after it properly it will last six months"...

Comment

My father in law loves his 6910 but he is
                      On his 3rdachine in about 8 months and possibly getting a new machine. But it a good machine. I had a 4800 for 6 years before it does. . :-?

Comment

I dont understand how you can love a machine that keeps breaking down.
                        Eventually (soon) Sunbeam will stop replacing them.

Comment

Originally posted by 56524257465446270 link=1241050011/0#0 date=1241050011
                          nd its kinda between this and the senbeam EM5900 and EM0450 grinder...
                          The EM5900 is a single thermoblock and no Hot water.. Also uses a new style Group / PF..

So can not comment too much as have not had hands on..

The grinder is fine for teh $$$ and depending on what you Need / Want

Comment

Originally posted by 7F435E454F4E594C444F2B0 link=1241050011/11#11 date=1241835860
                            I dont understand how you can love a machine that keeps breaking down.
                            Eventually (soon) Sunbeam will stop replacing them.
                            I would be looking hard at what is going ON..

Is this a machine or User problem..

Comment

I have had a BES800 for nearly two years. My first espresso machine. It has been a great machine. I love the design and how solid and heavy the machine is.
                              It has been very reliable.
                              It has been a fantastic first machine. I have started looking for a new machine as I think I have outgrown the pressurized group handle.

I happened to find the new Fresca on the Breville site and I just got through reading the owners manual. I have to say, I have not seen any other espresso machine so thoughtfully designed for the consumer.

They have gone so far as to offer single-wall and dual-wall modes and pair of single-wall and a pair of dual-wall baskets. I think that is very impressive.  I could not believe they designed such a machine.

The tamper is mounted to the machine so you can lightly tamp the group handle with one hand. But, if you want to tamp it firmly the magnetically mounted tamper can be removed. Wow.

They include a blind filter for cleaning. It goes on and on.

I dont think an integrated grinder is an issue at all. Many commercial machines being used by the best baristas use them. Even Starbucks uses them.  I have never heard a barista say that machines with integrated coffee bean hoppers affect the quality of the coffee. If you are using the machine on a daily basis it should not matter.

Lets face it, if you are obsessive about espresso, youre going to get a dual boiler machine with a PID and an E61 group head.

I like a decent espresso or cappuccino every day and I have fun making espresso. I cant wait to get my hands on this machine.

Comment

Working...
                              X