La Pavoni ERH New Toy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• La Pavoni ERH New Toy

Couldnt resist showing off the new bling. I was going to buy one of these pre CS and got a little put off by some negative writings around the net. But throwing caution to the wind and the fact that some kind sole on ferralbay selling an "Expresso" machine  seems a few potential bidders didnt spot it  : .

I am expecting a slow learning curve and while the first shot was worse than a sink shot number two had OK Crema and was quite drinkable as a Latte. The 3 hole wand is a fair bit different to my old Solis but the microfoam wasnt to bad either.

Horrid little 4mm under sized plastic tamper is on the way out ASAP in preference to a custom Pullman version  8-)

All in all not as scary as I thought it might be.

Re: La Pavoni ERH New Toy

Gorgeous! I was looking at these but the "cheapie" chrome version is all my budget stretched to.
    I refer to mine as the Will-full Stallion on account of the wild mood swings, haughty nature and snort of steam when Im too quick trying to get the spent puck out and onto a second shot.

Quick question: does your steamwand sort of move too freely? Like, as I am steaming if I try to adjust the angle Im working the milk at, sometimes I find the steamwand gets pushed up.. and up and up...
    Was wondering if this is a looseness inherent in these machine or if I maybe need to look at replacing some of the rubber bits that the wand connects on to.

Very nice find though, they are lovely bits of machinery!

Comment

Mine was brand new in the box and yes the steam wand is really loose. Not sure if there is an adjustment.

I think I might also give it a small bend away from the Relief Valve drain to make a little more room for the jug. Also I am a lefty and my old machine had the steam valve on the right so holding the jug in the right hand is a little different.

Really needs a Brass covered Grinder as well

Comment

Originally posted by 3C3B3F303832273730395E0 link=1241086698/2#2 date=1241088393
        Mine was brand new in the box and yes the steam wand is really loose. Not sure if there is an adjustment.

I think I might also give it a small bend away from the Relief Valve drain to make a little more room for the jug. Also I am a lefty and my old machine had the steam valve on the right so holding the jug in the right hand is a little different.

When I switched from Silvia to Maria I had to get used to steaming on the left instead of the right, it still doesnt feel natural to me but Im getting accustomed to it, I occasionally turn on the hot water valve by mistake!! ;D ;D

Comment

Beautiful pickup bf... 8-)

Looks a little different to the Solis 90 :

Mal.

Comment

Originally posted by 5E595D525A504555525B3C0 link=1241086698/2#2 date=1241088393

Well good to know that this is just the way they are... now to work on fixing it!

Im sure there would have to be a shiney brass grinder out there somewhere in coffee land! They have everything else! ;D

Comment

http://www.elektrasrl.com/bar-grinders.php Never used an elektra but it is brass

Comment

Originally posted by 4B66626E630F0 link=1241086698/4#4 date=1241092829
                Looks a little different to the Solis 90

Mal.
                Like your new toy BTW, more bling is more better. Just a little harder to use but more satisfiying in a snobby sort of way

Originally posted by 626A63666C66607A7C0F0 link=1241086698/5#5 date=1241093687
                m sure there would have to be a shiney brass grinder out there somewhere in coffee land! They have everything else!
                I was looking at the DRM and it is nice and square so a complete new brass shell could be done for a price : I had a bit of a look around and the only brass one I found was the fairly ordinary Pavoni one.

Comment

Originally posted by 4D61727469616C5F4D6F6E6B6579000 link=1241086698/6#6 date=1241094262
                  http://www.elektrasrl.com/bar-grinders.php Never used an elektra but it is brass
                  Thanks for the link the only ones I had seen from electra to date hade a brass body and a chrome doser for around $1300 :P The one in the link BTW sells for around $1950 so I might be waiting for a while

Comment

Congratulations! Thats a nice looking machine.  I have a PRH on backorder.  The importer said it should be here sometime in June or July.  I look forward to reading your experiences as it should help with my own learning curve.  Please keep this thread updated periodically.

As for a brass grinder, you could always buy a little Turkish hand mill.

Im considering a Reg Barber copper-colored aluminum-handle tamper with a brass base.

Although one note on the brass, both grinder and tamper: theyre a bit of a pain to polish and keep shiny.

Comment

Originally posted by 3A323B3E343E382224570 link=1241086698/5#5 date=1241093687
                      Macap M4/M5 have copper coated ( electroplated) grinders
                      They are the colour of your machines boiler.

I have seen 4 set up side by side in a cafe
                      They look nice and most likely cheaper
                      (P.S. The Elektra are re badged Macap anyway)

KK

Comment

Originally posted by 6857544C695A52553B0 link=1241086698/9#9 date=1241669418
                        Im considering a Reg Barber copper-colored aluminum-handle tamper with a brass base.

Although one note on the brass, both grinder and tamper: theyre a bit of a pain to polish and keep shiny.
                        Wait and see what Mr Pullman is making me 8-) Aluminium Bronze was my material of choice as it only gets a surface layer of oxidation it is also much harder than brass..

With the Macap I have had a talk to CosmoreX and Attilio hasnt brought any brass ones in but looking into it for me In the meantime I like the M7/Electra version even if it will dwarf the Pav. On the wrong side of $1000 :

Comment

How goes the espresso with the Pavoni?

Comment

one word

"BEAUTIFUL"

that is all

Comment

Very nice. Took me a while to see this post.

Said it before, say it again, I love my europiccola...even if it is only the chrome one.

Originally posted by 043B382005363E39570 link=1241086698/12#12 date=1243245772
                              How goes the espresso with the Pavoni?
                              Although more difficult to learn than most other machines I have used, it makes exceptional espresso when done right. Being as objective as I can, I truly believe I get better shots from my europiccola than my mother gets on her Silvia, and even my brother gets on his Giotto (though I think he doesnt pay enough attention...am dying for some time on my hands to go and play with his Giotto in an attempt to show him!)

HOWEVER, I can confidently pull two shots on my europiccola, but after that am often heading into burn territory...the temp on these machines needs to be kept under check. If you are making for many, then this is not the machine for you. But for a couple, I find temp is not a problem for me (once I learnt my machine).

Comment

Working...
                              X