Puck frequently sticks to the group on Silvia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Puck frequently sticks to the group on Silvia

Currently I am finding that the majority of my pucks stick to the group. I am using the original rancilio double basket and regularly getting 25 second 60ml shots. At first the pucks only stuck if I measured 15 grams of coffee (i use a digital scale) but now they stick with 14 or even 13 grams. I have played around with the grind and tamp a bit but no joy.
    The taste in the coffee hasnt changed since the pucks started regularly sticking (Ive had Silvia for three weeks) and the non sticking pucks only had a light indentation from the screw. I am aware the the rancilio baskets are fairly shallow, should I be looking at a deeper basket? Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Edit: Silvia is second hand two years old

Re: Puck frequently sticks to the group on Silvia

I got a Synesso double ridgeless basket for my Silvia and it enabled me do dose up (18g-20g), its a fine line with Silvia, she likes to be updosed but you can go too far and will get a gusher.

Comment

I have a thought (albeit it induced by Coopers Best Extra Stout )

Perhaps consider your pucks are slightly wetter than they used to be as the boiler valve is weeping a smidge after you finish the shot. What this will do is add a small lot of water after the shot but not under pressure as it is when pulling the shot this makes the pucks not as dry (easy releasing) as they were.

Off out to drink some more and play some tunes  8-)

Comment

Hi.

Just to clarify a few basics;

- are you using fresh, and freshly ground, coffee?
        - are you ejecting the puck straight after pulling the shot?
        - has the machine had a decent clean/backflush/descale?

I went through a period in the past when I was being less than diligent, and had similar problems.

Good luck,

shaun

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to offer your advice Shaun. I have since discovered that my problem was underdosing. Pucks are no longer sticking now that I have been shown a better dosing technique.

Comment

Working...
          X