X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Machine and grinder for my lovely papa

Hey folks,

I have a slightly tricky question for you all:

My dad has a 60th birthday coming up. Mum is wanting to buy him a new coffee machine, and he of course needs a new grinder too (although she may not fully appreciate the importance of this). He currently has a gaggia classic which has seen better days (broken portafilter handle and just a kinda old and slightly crappy machine IMO), along with a cheap gaggi (burr) grinder.

Her budget is $1500, but I reckon it could probably be slightly flexible.

NOW, to make it just a little bit tricky, I currently have a rancillio silver and rancillio rocky. Thus, it would probably be best not to just get him this combo as that would be a little bit.. lame.

Can anyone suggest a coffee machine and grinder combo in this price range? It would probably be used equally for espresso, long black and milk based drinks. He likes to entertain (ie several coffees in a row).

The other alternative is spending a few hundred fixing up the old gaggia and spending the rest on a grinder, but frankly i think the gaggia has already maxed out its potential. The steam is just too anemic to be of any use, particuarly when entertaining.

Re: Machine and grinder for my lovely papa

Why would that be lame? Some might call it... sweet?

Comment

Solution! You and I can swap - you give me your silvia, I give you my saeco VV.

Then you can buy him a silvia, and it wont matter!

Comment

Originally posted by 303D372B2A2830440 link=1241242417/2#2 date=1241245735
        Solution! You and I can swap - you give me your silvia, I give you my saeco VV.

Then you can buy him a silvia, and it wont matter!

Na...

I have a San Marino FS and there would be heaps left over for a Top of the line grinder :-)

The classic could then be put down

Comment

Tricky price point as the Silvia is the best machine with a grinder at that price point by chunks. Any others (assuming $5-600 for the grinder) arent much if at all any better.

As you both have current machines and some experience then providing your parents dont want to make a dozen coffees at one hit. You could even go off beat and look at a Pavoni Lever? Can be a little tricky but really out there for style points 8-) This might appeal due to the tradional operation and as it is a 60th.

Your only other real option is to maybe put up with the grinder for a while and look around at any of the sponsors selling an ex demo HX?

best of luck with the decision.

Comment

Pavoni Lever is a pretty cool looking machine. Although you can get better results from other machines, the coffee would be good and the machine would look fantastic. For the $1500 price, you could get the latest Silvia and a Mazzer Mini, which might lessen the lameness? You did say he liked ot entertain, and as you know the silvia is limited as to how many coffees it can make in one go. but to get much more, youd have to be looking at spending over the $1500 mark on just the machine...

Comment

Originally posted by 4E494D424A405545424B2C0 link=1241242417/4#4 date=1241247526
              Tricky price point as the Silvia is the best machine with a grinder at that price point by chunks. Any others (assuming $5-600 for the grinder) arent much if at all any better.

As you both have current machines and some experience then providing your parents dont want to make a dozen coffees at one hit. You could even go off beat and look at a Pavoni Lever? Can be a little tricky but really out there for style points  8-) This might appeal due to the tradional operation and as it is a 60th.

Your only other real option is to maybe put up with the grinder for a while and look around at any of the sponsors selling an ex demo HX?

best of luck with the decision.
              All good tips. A HX would be great but i imagine the pricepoint would be pretty tricky. he really does need a new grinder

frankly im pretty tempted to get him a 09 silvia and mazzer mini. I always wished that i had a mazzer rather than the rocky.

The pavoni lever is interesting, but i dont think its his style.

i definately cant get him anything that makes worse coffee than mine.

i agree that its in a tricky price point. If i didnt have a silvia then it would be an EASY gift for him, but the silvia at this price point seems just about unavoidable

maybe i should just go visit a brisbane sponsor? any tips?

Comment

The only other choice for an entertainers machine is the Sunbeam dual thermoblock as well I guess but its not where I would put money

Di Bartoli in Brisbane if there setup is anything like Melbourne they have a fairly wide machine range (not sure if they stock Silvia) The other choice is get onto CosmoreX in Cannberra as I know he has stocks of the 2009 machine and has a moving sale on at present.

Cheapest HX I can think of is around $1700 retail for the Expobar Office so HX is a bit over the top.

Comment

Ummm Di Bartoli is in Sydney. In brissy we have Veneziano, Di Bella (prolly the one you meant), Barazi. You should head down to one (or all three) and have a talk/\/play.

And the NS Oscar is the cheapest HX around.

Comment

Doh it was one of the Di ......

Comment

Originally posted by 7865776A100 link=1241242417/0#0 date=1241242417
                      He currently has a gaggia classic which has seen better days (broken portafilter handle and just a kinda old and slightly crappy machine IMO),

<snip>

The other alternative is spending a few hundred fixing up the old gaggia and spending the rest on a grinder, but frankly i think the gaggia has already maxed out its potential. The steam is just too anemic to be of any use, particuarly when entertaining.
                      I beg to differ. While the Gaggias dont steam particularly strongly, they are no worse than a Sunbeam EM6910. Also, with some simple temp surfing, they can pull espresso shots that are as good as anything that can be produced on an EM6910 and only marginally behind the very best that a Sylvia can produce. There are a few baristas (including some members here) that have said they would have no problem paying for espressos that I have made on my Gaggia(s).
                      Also, although a Sylvia steams much more strongly, the Gaggia will transition from brew to steam (and back) far more quickly than a Sylvia and it will not run out of steam (the boiler will cycle while steaming). All of this is from personal experience with these machines.

If you really want to upgrade, the first thing is the grinder (Im betting it is a Gaggia MM which I have also used and is definitely sub par) and then think about the machine.

If you really want to ditch the machine because you dont rate it and/or making large numbers of coffees concurrently is high on the agenda, there is a lovely Expobar Control that tempts me (even though I already have a HX machine) for sale in this forum which would also allow for a good grinder within your mothers budget (especially if you look for a grinder on a popular auction site that I am not allowed to mention directly). A Sylvia, EM6910 or even machines such as the Isomac Zaffiro and Vibiemme Domobar Piccolo are just as frustrating to use for large numbers of people.
                      [edit]:frustrating to use for large numbers of people who want milk drinks.

Comment

Originally posted by 7865776A100 link=1241242417/0#0 date=1241242417

If you really want to ditch the machine because you dont rate it and/or making large numbers of coffees concurrently is high on the agenda, there is a lovely Expobar Control that tempts me (even though I already have a HX machine) for sale in this forum which would also allow for a good grinder within your mothers budget (especially if you look for a grinder on a popular auction site that I am not allowed to mention directly). A Sylvia, EM6910 or even machines such as the Isomac Zaffiro and Vibiemme Domobar Piccolo are just as frustrating to use for large numbers of people.
                        Go on kaanage, you know you want it...   ;D

Honestly though, after selling my old Silvia and going to a HX machine, I would never dream of going back as it churns out those morning coffees that much faster. 8-)

Comment

Originally posted by 303A3A353A3C3E5B0 link=1241242417/10#10 date=1241251387
                          A Sylvia, EM6910 or even machines such as the Isomac Zaffiro and Vibiemme Domobar Piccolo are just as frustrating to use for large numbers of people.

Saw something interesting yesterday arv at church. A gathering pre service of around 40 odd people, say 25-30 of them drinking coffee...

A friend brought in their 6910 and it went for a couple of hours constantly bangin out shots and milk and didnt miss a beat.

They had it coupled with a Rocky which someone else brought along with a Sylvia. The Sylvia was left off.

Was pretty impressive and along the lines of hugz lovely papas requirements...

Later on they emptied it, cleaned it and took it home, presumably to have a coffee and relax ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 7C746C667B1F0 link=1241242417/12#12 date=1241408485
                            Saw something interesting yesterday arv at church. A gathering pre service of around 40 odd people, say 25-30 of them drinking coffee...

A friend brought in their 6910 and it went for a couple of hours constantly bangin out shots and milk and didnt miss a beat.

They had it coupled with a Rocky which someone else brought along with a Sylvia. The Sylvia was left off.

Was pretty impressive and along the lines of hugz lovely papas requirements...

Later on they emptied it, cleaned it and took it home, presumably to have a coffee and relax  ;D
                            Great stuff Chris- thats where this type of machine really becomes useful. Big gathering where quite a few milky coffees are required. 6910 (if working ), HX or dual boiler are the go if you have more than say 4 cups back to back...

A certain site owner did a couple of thousand back to back on his HX...Human tired and stopped before machinery did

Comment

Originally posted by 045B43555E5559505053535B5758360 link=1241242417/13#13 date=1241408800

Great stuff Chris- thats where this type of machine really becomes useful. Big gathering where quite a few milky coffees are required. 6910 (if working ), HX or dual boiler are the go if you have more than say 4 cups back to back...

A certain site owner did a couple of thousand back to back on his HX...Human tired and stopped before machinery did  
                              Yeah I hear ya, it will be interesting to see if the workout did anything to the life of it... :-/

particulary as we have one...

Comment

Working...
                              X