Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which cleaning tablets for Sunbeam 6910?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Which cleaning tablets for Sunbeam 6910?

    I use the Cino Cleano powder, but my son wants tablets.  Given that Sunbeam charges up to $32 for 8 tablets, I have been looking at alternatives.  However, no tablets are described as suitable for the 6910.
    Coffee Talk shows 3 varieties and the Bombara catalogue has 16 entries; none mentioning the 6910.
    Prices go down to $33.25 for 100 tablets (commercial link removed), so there ARE savings to be made - if only I knew what tablets (costing less than $1 per tablet) are suitable. Does anyone know?

  • #2
    Re: Which cleaning tablets for Sunbeam 6910?

    Providing they are suitable for Aluminium they will be fine. Either contact Bombora or Chris and I am sure they can advise.

    Citric acid does a fairly good job with descale BTW also available in most supermarkets in the spice/salt section in small quantities.

    Also have a read of this discussion on cleaning scale from Aluminium Atomics http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1236240384/45#28 by Bombora

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Which cleaning tablets for Sunbeam 6910?

      Ofra at Di Bartoli told us that the Bombora 3 in 1 is fine for the 6910 instead of the tablets

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Which cleaning tablets for Sunbeam 6910?

        Thanks, the sponsor link to Bombara gave a phone number.  I got the advice that any standard 2g (or2.1g) tablet would do.  Real savings  

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Which cleaning tablets for Sunbeam 6910?

          I just use Clean Machine powder in my 6910. I think its the same as the Cino Cleano powder. Works a charm! Cant see the point in spending a lot more for something that is essentially the same thing but in tablet form.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Which cleaning tablets for Sunbeam 6910?

            Originally posted by 202B2038332E7476410 link=1241747888/4#4 date=1241866434
            I just use Clean Machine powder in my 6910. I think its the same as the Cino Cleano powder. Works a charm! Cant see the point in spending a lot more for something that is essentially the same thing but in tablet form.
            Firstly, I have removed a number of really silly and more importantly, grossly innacurate posts from this thread in the hope that those reading this thread will not be tempted to risk damage to themselves or their machines by using snake oil remedies...

            Now, some facts:
            Clean machine and Cafetto are two popular alkali based powders used to clean group heads and other coffee related bits and pieces.

            Descalers such as Bombora Triple action descaler and Cafetto Restore are acids used to dissolve scale due to hard water.

            Citric acid removes scale in plaques which can then block other areas of your machine. Good descalers do contain Citric acid, but most importantly other acids are added to the mix. These dissolve any large plaques so as to remove the scale safely from the machine.

            Also, scale is an issue in Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, Adelaide and in many other Australian localities: You need only to look at the innards of machines run on tap water from low dams over the last few years to see the results.

            Ultimately, a few dollars spent on the correct product is money well spent. Spend hundreds/thousands on the right machine and then try to save a couple of dollars by using inappropriate chemicals...Sorry, but I just dont get it :

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Which cleaning tablets for Sunbeam 6910?

              Originally posted by 104F57414A414D444447474F434C220 link=1241747888/5#5 date=1242149055

              Now, some facts:
              Clean machine and Cafetto are two popular alkali based powders used to clean group heads and other coffee related bits and pieces.

              Descalers such as Bombora Triple action descaler and Cafetto Restore are acids used to dissolve scale due to hard water.

              Citric acid removes scale in plaques which can then block other areas of your machine. Good descalers do contain Citric acid, but most importantly other acids are added to the mix. These dissolve any large plaques so as to remove the scale safely from the machine.

              Also, scale is an issue in Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, Adelaide and in many other Australian localities: You need only to look at the innards of machines run on tap water from low dams over the last few years to see the results.

              Ultimately, a few dollars spent on the correct product is money well spent. Spend hundreds/thousands on the right machine and then try to save a couple of dollars by using inappropriate chemicals...Sorry, but I just dont get it :
              Great advice 2mcm - should make this one a sticky!

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Which cleaning tablets for Sunbeam 6910?

                Agreed.

                Thanks 2mcm, you have set my mind at ease with the path I have chosen. Bombora Triple it is!!

                Chris

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Which cleaning tablets for Sunbeam 6910?

                  Originally posted by 2B746C7A717A767F7F7C7C747877190 link=1241747888/5#5 date=1242149055
                  Now, some facts:
                  Clean machine and Cafetto are two popular alkali based powders used to clean group heads and other coffee related bits and pieces.

                  Descalers such as Bombora Triple action descaler and Cafetto Restore are acids used to dissolve scale due to hard water.

                  Citric acid removes scale in plaques which can then block other areas of your machine. Good descalers do contain Citric acid, but most importantly other acids are added to the mix. These dissolve any large plaques so as to remove the scale safely from the machine.

                  Also, scale is an issue in Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, Adelaide and in many other Australian localities: You need only to look at the innards of machines run on tap water from low dams over the last few years to see the results.

                  Ultimately, a few dollars spent on the correct product is money well spent. Spend hundreds/thousands on the right machine and then try to save a couple of dollars by using inappropriate chemicals...Sorry, but I just dont get it Roll Eyes
                  So,2mcm, just to clarify. Are you saying it is OK to use Clean Machine or Cafetto for backflushing the 6910, or not?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Which cleaning tablets for Sunbeam 6910?

                    Great Advice needed!
                    I dont own a SB EM6910, this is a generic enquiry.
                    How often should I have my thousands of dollar coffee machine serviced?
                    Would this be any different for my second hand machine off Ebay for $23.50 not including pickup?
                    If I use the wrong cleaner will the coffee machine be dangerous? My wife says:
                    “It can’t stay in the kitchen if it’s a danger to me or the budgerigar”?
                    How often should I clean my group head?
                    How often should I use a descaler?
                    Should I do this myself?
                    What damage to my machine and to myself do I risk?
                    Or should I call in a competent professional?
                    And if so where can I find a competent professional?
                    What would I expect to pay?
                    Kind Regards
                    Lindsay

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Which cleaning tablets for Sunbeam 6910?

                      My opinion is annually.
                      Not worth it for a $23 machine; do what you can yourself.
                      Buy the right cleaner then theres no problem.
                      Get rid of the budgie.
                      Group head should be flushed at least daily and given a good clean weekly IMO.
                      Descale depends on where you are but 6 monthly to annual depending on your water.
                      You can descale it yourself.
                      Damage risk depends on your confidence/competence; if your arent either get a professional to do it.
                      Your nearest competent professional depends on where you are.
                      Where are you???????
                      Probably $90 plus parts on average; depends on the machine.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Which cleaning tablets for Sunbeam 6910?

                        Great information but a bit OT.

                        Im still waiting for a reply from 2mcm.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Which cleaning tablets for Sunbeam 6910?

                          Originally posted by 2328233B302D7775420 link=1241747888/8#8 date=1242191173
                          So,2mcm, just to clarify. Are you saying it is OK to use Clean Machine or Cafetto for backflushing the 6910, or not?
                          although I am not 2mcm, those backflushing agents are fine for the 6910. Cino Cleano powder is also fine.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Which cleaning tablets for Sunbeam 6910?

                            Thanks David.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Which cleaning tablets for Sunbeam 6910?

                              Did a descale of our 6910 last night using Bombora triple action.

                              Ran it through the steam arm (which you cant do with the SB tablets :-?), through the hot water arm, soaked all the peripherals...

                              This morning, working perfectly.

                              Thanks Ofra and 2mcm [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

                              And the Bomber man of course...

                              Chris

                              ...whose SB descale tablets hit the bin last night....

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X