Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever tried 110V Silvia?

Hi all,
    I am a Silvia owner in Melbourne, but now have to go back to Japan where the voltage is 100V. So I am selling my Silvia now and import 110V model from the US to Japan after moving. I was just wondering if any of you know 110V Silvia is as good as 240V ones in Australia?

mod edit- post edited to comply with site posting policy

Re: Anyone ever tried 110V Silvia?

Why dont you just get a voltage converter http://www.voltageconverters.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=VC100W

- Actually, would it work ?  ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 40646E6564656C7F78666C666C60640D0 link=1242725675/0#0 date=1242725675
      Hi all,
      I am a Silvia owner in Melbourne, but now have to go back to Japan where the voltage is 100V. So I am selling my Silvia now and import 110V model from the US to Japan after moving. I was just wondering if any of you know 110V Silvia is as good as 240V ones in Australia?

mod edit- post edited to comply with site posting policy

In essence, a correctly designed system for 220 / 240 / 110 /100 Volts should perform with little difference.

However, the frequency can come into play as well as teh Current draw.

Thus with the right elements the only slight change could be the frequency of 60hz Vs 50hz.

The issue for Japan is that they run at 100V and local supply means that it can be either 50 or 60 hz.

I am not going into power factors and the impact on heating rates etc Nor will I comment as to the change in volume  / pump rate of vibrating pumps (Hz effect).

It does introduce changes...  but in general many would not tell / pick the difference when the units is performing well.  As systems get old, then any drop in performance will be felt by 50Hz systems first...

If it was critical - Medical for eg.  You obtain a Double Conversion On-Line and the Batteries develop your voltage, current limit and Hz as desired.. The AC line in, does little more that charge the batteries.  $$$$

Comment

The 110V machines sold in the US have 800W heaters.  I believe the 220V models are higher wattage.  Im not sure if there is a 100V version for Japan, but if a 110V model is used at 100V then you should expect another 20% reduction in heater wattage.

There should be no difference in performance for brewing.  It may take a few extra seconds for the boiler to come up to operating temperature initially, but by the time the machine is warmed up this extra time will make no difference.  

You would probably notice a difference in steaming performance.  It will take a little longer to reach steaming temperature, and you may notice less steam capacity if you are in the habit of steaming while the heater is on.

Jim

Comment

Working...
        X