Uneven pours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uneven pours

What is the most likely cause of more coffee coming out of one spout of the portafiller.  Doesnt always happen but quite regularly one spout will have a steady stream and the other will be much slower.  Or one will start and the the other will take another 3-4 seconds to start delivering coffee?

Is it uneven tamping or does my bench have a 45 degree slope that I havent noticed....

Steven

Re: Uneven pours

It would likely be uneven tamping. Is it always on one side. I found with my old machine that I would tend to come out one side also. Given that I always held the portafilter and the tamp the same way that I favored one of the sides while tamping.

The water is always going to look for the easiest way through the puck. If there is a part that is thinner or tamped less then this will be the easiest path. If it is favouring a path like this then you are really only extracting the flavor out of those grinds.

After you have tamped leave the tamp in there and use it as a guide to see how even your tamp actually is. That is why a lot of pro tamps have lines on their outside.

Comment

I think that even a slight slope to the bench wil make a diffrence. If you were pouring lots of water or coffee theough your PF then there would not be any difference but as it is realy only a dribble then it will pass to the down side. Check your machine with a good quality spirit level. Yuo might be amazed that it is only 1 or 2mm off level and that makes all the diffrence.
      This is what I think and have ovserved.
      Regards
      Crisp Image

Comment

Originally posted by 16292F283532031E332530395C0 link=1243596597/1#1 date=1243597087
        That is why a lot of pro tamps have lines on their outside.
        Really? Which ones apart from Pullman? I would have thought a pro would be accomplished enough not to require them.

Steven apart from uneven tamping, put a spirit level on your machine just to be sure. It could also be to do with the manufacture of the group handle spouts - theyre sometimes uneven to start with and might even need a rasp with something like a rats tail file!

Comment

Could be right Den, but even the pros have said they like the TrueTamp rings. Theyre just there to help whoever wants them even if its just for an occasional check to make sure things are still on track. I guess if someone reckons they dont need them they can just tamp with their eyes closed!  

Comment

Pretty sure my tamping is even but Ill redouble my efforts. Ill break out the spirit level too.

Thanks for the tips.

Steven

Comment

Hi steven115,

Grab a naked portafilter if you can find one and pull a few shots...It will show you immediately if its a distribution issue...

Good luck...

2mcm

Comment

2mcms suggestion is spot on - even if youre tamping level, if the distributions off youll still get an uneven pour.

Comment

Originally posted by 5144535146435A5A5B5758360 link=1243596597/4#4 date=1243598153
                  Could be right Den, but even the pros have said they like the TrueTamp rings.

Hey if nothing else I reckon they look good. With or without the rings anyone would have started off by looking that their coffee tamp sits level in the basket. Of course with a fitted tamp it would be slightly more difficult for it to be out of square(if thats the word you would use)

Comment

Originally posted by 50717A7A7D67140 link=1243596597/3#3 date=1243597880
                    I would have thought a pro would be accomplished enough not to require them.
                    Originally posted by 736671736461787879757A140 link=1243596597/4#4 date=1243598153
                    even the pros have said they like the TrueTamp rings
                    How accomplished would a pro need to be to not need them?
                    What tolerance off perfectly level is pro level tamping?

My style of karate is known for its accuracy.
                    On a good day I can throw a full power punch at a target and stop short by less than 1mm.
                    On a bad day my tamping will be more than 1mm off level; I know because of the rings.

They dont check for tamping accuracy at the World Barista Championship do they?

Comment

Originally posted by 5540575542475E5E5F535C320 link=1243596597/4#4 date=1243598153
                      Could be right Den, but even the pros have said they like the TrueTamp rings. Theyre just there to help whoever wants them even if its just for an occasional check to make sure things are still on track. I guess if someone reckons they dont need them they can just tamp with their eyes closed!  
                      Oh, I agree that theyre an asset Greg, and Im pleased to use your tampers every day at the shop, though for different reasons than the rings. It just seemed that Justin was suggesting that there are a "lot" of clones available.

Comment

Well if China have their way there probably will be before long! :

Comment

Originally posted by 2C392E2C3B3E2727262A254B0 link=1243596597/11#11 date=1243606101
                          Well if China have their way there probably will be before long! :
                          As youd know Greg, we had a fire in our shop a little while ago. Forensic tests proved that temperature was well in excess of 700C (molten aluminium). Most items in the shop didnt survive either the intense heat and/or the highly corrosive soot.

There was a good coating of this soot on both the barista and deluxe tampers I have. And when I say coating, I mean it even filled the TrueTamp rings.

Attempts were made to restore valuable stainless items including coffee machines manufactured in Italy and the some of the Diedrich parts built in the USA without success. The exception was your tampers.

Not only did the stainless components of both tampers come up like new, there was no damage to the handles whatsoever.

Kudos to you Greg!

Comment

Wow. Im stunned. Ive done lots of impact tests on the tampers but Ive never considered burning them! Thanks for saving me the bother, and glad to hear they held up for you.

Now to decide whether or not to recommend this to customers... ;D

Comment

its good to know that if my house burns down then all i will need to do is order another Jarrah handle

Comment

Working...
                              X