Rancilio Silvia/Rocky 08 or 09

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rancilio Silvia/Rocky 08 or 09

Ok folks this will be the last question from me. For a while anyway! (I cant help it - youve all got heaps of experience & advice)

The minister for law & finance has checked the figures & with a little help from Krudd were good to go! 8-)  Only problem now is whether to go the 08 model or the 09. From what I can gather so far, the 09 has had some cosmetic additions in the form of Rancilio logo badges that dont stay on the group handle, also the an improved steam knob. The wand has a new 3 hole tip. Good/Bad?? Apart from that Im certain the innards are the same.  Sooo I would like to know from all you rancilio owners old and new (sponsors are more than welcome to get in on the act) on which to buy?
    The 09 is quoted at being roughly $100 more and if thats for bagdes that dont stick...well Id rather spend it.....on my wife(shes over my shoulder at the mo) Is the new steam wand design worth the extra? :-/  Can it be swapped with an after market single vice/versa?

Im very excited Its almost time! Hence me rambling on (apologies)

Thanks for all yor help thus far

Re: Rancilio Silvia/Rocky 08 or 09

Depends is the badges for u are worth $100... pretty expensive badges!! I like the idea of the new steam wand on ball joint. But I have a 2008 model and its fine. Save the $$ and put it towards a Mazzer grinder or something similar. Best of both worlds!!

Comment

Originally posted by 6F6A6D6B776463050 link=1244112038/0#0 date=1244112038
      09 has had some cosmetic additions in the form of Rancilio logo badges that dont stay on the group handle
      So is the one on my steam knob, which is now fixed thanks to super glue.

Originally posted by 6F6A6D6B776463050 link=1244112038/0#0 date=1244112038
      The wand has a new 3 hole tip. Good/Bad??
      BAD.. old wand is more powerful.

Comment

Personal choice- I dont like the steam knob looks too modern I think although I like the one on the of handle.
        Get what u like!!

Comment

Plenty of time to save for upgraditis in the form of a mazzer mmm. Incidently I forgot ask if there was a difference with the 08 & 09 grinder(rocky)?

So balljoint & waiting longer vs short wait and....do I need the balljointed wand?

Comment

Originally posted by 383838363A33333030550 link=1244112038/3#3 date=1244112818
            Personal choice- I dont like the steam knob looks too modern I think although I like the one on the of handle.
            Get what u like!!
            I think they both looks great... the thick wand also gives it an extra sexy look, but the 3 holes are just weak.. >

Comment

No dont NEED the ball joint. The other works fine. They have to do something new to warrant a new 2009 model- all cosmetic!
              Not sure about the Rocky- think its the same though.

As far as spending the $$ whats the wife think- after all a happy wife is a happy life!! LOL

Comment

Oh.....S**t yeah! lol

Im sure shed be happy with her nescafe cappuccino-in-a-sachet! :-[

Cant wait til I make her a REAL cap. Then all will be justified!
                So thats a "spend as little as possible" to answer the question mmm. lol

Comment

I like the idea of getting the addicted to good coffee- I did with my wife and all sweet from now- getting new toys is a whole lot easier!! She however doesnt want tone shown how to use it- likes me making the coffees for her!
                  Enjoy ur new toys when u get them!! ;D

Comment

Get an 08 while you can - the only substantive change on the 09 is the steam wand, and there was nothing wrong with the old one.

The 08 Rocky has a solid, stainless steel base. The 09 Rocky doesnt ...

charlie

Comment

Charlie: what base does the 09 Silvia have if not a solid ss base?? how much difference does it make to overall weight- was it just for cost cutting?? Does it hold up to the Silvia name?? Whats ur thoughts on the steam wand and 3 holes??

Comment

was just about to email you for a quote inc shipping charli

Comment

I dont know how much you want to save, but I bought my combo secondhand and Im pretty happy with it. That said it was still under warranty and hadnt been used very much so lucky me I guess.

Just a thought. It seems they come up for sale fairly often as upgraditis seems a fairly common ailment.

Comment

You dont understand tashie.....I want it NOW!!!!! Gotta act fast before the hormones change(wifes) not mine...lol

Comment

The 09 steam tip does the job, no problems, but so did (does) the 08. The ball joint is nice on the 09 but its probably only important in the context of the new 3 hole tip.

charlie

Comment

Working...
                              X