Learning how to make espresso with my 6910 again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning how to make espresso with my 6910 again

Ive changed my collar recently. I dont want to over wound it again. Therefore, Im now re-learning how to make espresso again

Ive come up with lots of problems. I dont know what is the correct does for this machine (as i used to overdose). I used 20grams of coffee today. However, the puck doest come out clean. Is it because i didnt put enough or it is my distribution problem?

Ill attach picture later

Re: Learning how to make espresso with my 6910 again

Originally posted by 7573616F6A7368060 link=1244448013/0#0 date=1244448013
    Ive changed my collar recently. I dont want to over wound it again. Therefore, Im now re-learning how to make espresso again

Ive come up with lots of problems. I dont know what is the correct does for this machine (as i used to overdose). I used 20grams of coffee today. However, the puck doest come out clean. Is it because i didnt put enough or it is my distribution problem?

Ill attach picture later  
    I ignore the weight...

My guess with out seeing teh puck is Under dosing...

Pack and tamp and at the end you should be about 3mm from the top of the basket... Use the 5 cent piece check..

This is up dosing... Which is different to OVERDOSING...

After that it is a issue of Grind Vs Tamp to get what you want..

Comment

Here is the picture

Comment

AM: From the picture, I can clearly see the screw mark, the seal. But at the right bottom next to the screw mark (sort of), some of the grinds stuck at the shower screen. Is this underdosing or my distrubition problem?

I really need help~~~~~

Comment

THis one is before brewing

Comment

Tony,

Ive been experimenting with downdosing recently, such that if I put the PF in and lock, I can take it out without an impression being left on the puck. The resulting coffee tastes ok, though is prone to channeling/early blonding and the puck looks identical to yours.

The other problem I found was that consistency suffered.

Id say, dont overdose, but do updsose as per AMs suggestion.

Out of interest, how old was your machine before you replaced the collar? and how often were you using it?

Edit: are both those photos from the same puck? The before brew photo to me, looks ok, though Id be knocking that coffee off the side.

Comment

As a reference, heres a picture I took for my own notes on a shot that tasted pretty awesome.

Comment

ACog: Nice puck. Is that mean im underdosing?

I have my machine about one and a half year already. I use it twice per day (one cup in the morning and one cup at night).

Comment

Both pictures are from the same puck

Comment

o one more thing~~
                    The coffee tastes ok, but its not the best

Comment

Mate - try dosing up a little more - you only want, as AM says, about 3mm with this machine as the shower screen is quite recessed compared to a lot of other machines. After you get consistent with dosing and tamping at that height (I use dose knock several times dose, knock several times and dose and tamp - using Rocky doserless) try changing your grind so that you get the best pour - typically a few drips then a nice little syrupy stream and thickening as she goes (but sometimes the bean type makes a difference to this also - so taste is very important).

I found that the Sunbeam in particular benefits from pulling ristrettos.

What beans are you using and how old - home roasted or speciality roasted etc?

Cheers

Comment

Currently using brazil peaberry 3days old (home roast).
                        I used to have puck like ACog only when i updose. But i found if i does it up like i was, I have to use a lot of force to lock the PF. Maybe Ill try 21grams tomorrow and see how it goes. I measure the weight because i want to focus on one thing at a time. As long as i can find the optium does, i can then adjust the grind and then my tamp.  Dont know if Im right or not. Anyway. Ill dose up tomorrow.

One more thing, I havent use any fancy dosing technique. Im doing "10 click" and 5 "knock" for 3 times (using Mazzer Mini) and then tamp. At this stage, Im not concentrating on channeling issue (Will look at this issue after i can find my dose  .). Dont know if that make sence or not?

Comment

I dont count the number of thwacks I give (also using a MM), but I dose until the basket is about 3/4 full, then knock it down on the forks three times, dose until 3/4 full again, knock again 3 times, then dose till full. That way I find I have the optimum.

Sometimes, depending on the bean, weather etc etc, I need to use a bit of stockfleths redistribution to make things nice before tamping.

Comment

Originally posted by 5D5B4947425B402E0 link=1244448013/11#11 date=1244462057
                            One more thing, I havent use any fancy dosing technique. Im doing "10 click" and 5 "knock" for 3 times (using Mazzer Mini) and then tamp. At this stage, Im not concentrating on channeling issue (Will look at this issue after i can find my dose  .). Dont know if that make sence or not?
                            Really you should focus on distribution (channeling issues) first before you even focus on dose. Channeling will affect the dose - especially if you are assessing it by looking at the puck. Simply put channeling will give you a sloppy puck. Im guessing the 5 "knocks is collapsing but I have no idea what you mean by "10 click" (flicks of the dosing handle? dont see how that is relevant).

Comment

O~~I mean "10 clicking" is the sound made by the lever of the doser~~haha~~

OK~~Now i need to take channeling into consideration together~~

Thanks for the advice~~haha. Ive no clue how to make an espresso at all

Comment

Working...
                              X