Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just purchased an Isomac Venus

Hi Everyone,

I just picked up a Isomac Venus & Gaggia MDF combo (Cost just over $650 delivered), but the unit is about 4 years old and i suspect the servicing regime may have been a little questionable.  My problem is that a bit of googleing hasnt been very successful in providing places to purchase parts / seals for this machine.

From my understanding it does not have an e61 group head, and most sites only seem to list the e61 based parts for Isomac.

Has anyone owned a Venus and serviced or have any info on group seal size?  Even a push in the right direction would be great.

Cheers

Re: Just purchased an Isomac Venus

Originally posted by 617A7B68687E77120 link=1244684389/0#0 date=1244684389
    From my understanding it does not have an e61 group head, and most sites only seem to list the e61 based parts for Isomac.

This is correct, Isomac Venus uses the same group head than the Ascaso Duo and the Brasilia Lady.

As an Isomac service agent we offer services, and sales of spares parts. Pm or give a call if you need any help.

Regards

Renzo
    Di Bartoli Home Barista Centre

Comment

Thanks Renzo,

The machine & grinder arrived today and are in really good condition, my concerns I may have overpayed have been eased slightly, havent produced a shot yet though, but by all reports I should be able to get some decent results out of the Venus with a bit of persistence...

I think I might visit the shop in Bondi this weekend and pick up some parts but will send PM to clarify whether I need to order ahead.

Cheers,
      Sean

Comment

Hi Venus owners

My came in the mail yesterday, played around with it last night, still trying to figure out proper grind/dose/tamp... Still getting sloppyish pucks.. But it feels like i have to pack a lot more coffee in the basket compared to my classic. I am using a three year old Sunbeam EM0490 (could the bur be blunt). Also using a finer setting for the venus (10-12), find that (13-15) makes the water flow to quickly....

Mind you i still get good creme, and time wise is spot on.

Does 10-12 seem to fine, should i dial it back towards 15 and tamp a bit harder..?

Cheers
        Peter

Comment

Well i pulled back the pressure valve.. Now can use a coarser grind, getting better creme, but still get wet pucks...

Comment

Originally posted by 4E5B5B4A470F0F093E0 link=1244684389/4#4 date=1313217757
            Well i pulled back the pressure valve.. Now can use a coarser grind, getting better creme, but still get wet pucks...
            Suggest yo try and dose a bit more into the basket, sloppy pucks can be due to low dose.  If you not already doing it, tapping the PF on the bench to settle grinds into the basket is good way to get a bit more in with some repeatability.

Comment

Originally posted by 784F5656534E4E3A0 link=1244684389/5#5 date=1313457075
              Originally posted by 4E5B5B4A470F0F093E0 link=1244684389/4#4 date=1313217757
              Suggest yo try and dose a bit more into the basket, sloppy pucks can be due to low dose.  If you not already doing it, tapping the PF on the bench to settle grinds into the basket is good way to get a bit more in with some repeatability.
              Yep, already doing that, getting better now, read up on some other forums that wet puck are a problem with the Venus, though not sure...

Last night i was practicing with different tamps and found softer tamps better for puck dryness. Also realised the tamper i have been using for years is concave That could also explain some things too! How much of that would make a difference...?

Comment

If you are taking the pf out straight after pulling a shot the puck may seem a bit sloppy with surface water but this is normal and I dont think it is a real problem. A sloppy puck is usually from grinding too fine or underdose like mentioned.

If it tastes good I wouldnt get overly concerned about the puck.

Chances are with the grinder you are using you are expecting to much. I had the em0480 and went to the Smart Grinder and its a massive improvement in shot consistency.

Comment

Yea, its hard to dose consitently without a doeser system.

And your right, if it tastes good, i shouldnt be worried about it.

The Smart Grinder is on my list of things to buy, i can only imagine it will make it easier to fine tune my tamp... Had a pretty expensive month so far, car tyres, rego, ctp... Insurance due next month! eek! Grinder will have to wait

Comment

Had another play, think i got it about right, grinder set to 14, dose to full, tap pf, dose to over full, tap pf, tamp light, theres only about 3mm of gap between top of filter basket and coffee. Great shots, no more wet pucks

Comment

Originally posted by 392C2C3D3078787E490 link=1244684389/9#9 date=1314266783
                      Had another play, think i got it about right, grinder set to 14, dose to full, tap pf, dose to over full, tap pf, tamp light, theres only about 3mm of gap between top of filter basket and coffee. Great shots, no more wet pucks
                      Be careful with that tapping, you may find that it fractures the puck which leads to channelling.

Comment

Originally posted by 4D4B5C574D4A5250390 link=1244684389/10#10 date=1314267788

Be careful with that tapping, you may find that it fractures the puck which leads to channelling.
                        I thought the tapping that fractured pucks came after the tamp, the tapping be refereed to above is just settling isnt it?

Comment

I guess the question to ask is, why are you tapping the group handle, what are you hoping to achieve?

Can you see any difference in the cup between tapping and not tapping?

Probably a subject of its own although I am sure it has been discussed a number of times already. FWIW I dont tap

Comment

Trentski, I think you misunderstand.
                            Nobody is tapping the portafilter during the tamping process.
                            Its just a settling the coffee grounds, perhaps up dosing?

Comment

Originally posted by 343F272D3130323B31295E0 link=1244684389/13#13 date=1314327554
                              Trentski, I think you misunderstand.
                              Nobody is tapping the portafilter during the tamping process.
                              Its just a settling the coffee grounds, perhaps up dosing?
                              Yep, otherwise i would get wet pucks and fast pours

Comment

Working...
                              X