Party friendly LUCY?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Party friendly LUCY?

Hello all, Im seeing if my Lucy (basically a Silvia & Rock together) would be up to the task of making milk based drinks for a group of about 20-30 people at a birthday party. What sort of time period would it take to do this? Should I pull 2 double shots i.e. 4 cups and them steam enough milk for the 4 of them and keep repeating? Anything else I should be aware of? The most I have ever made at once is only 2. [smiley=embarassed.gif]

Andrew. [smiley=smiley.gif]

Re: Party friendly LUCY?

Originally posted by 0C0E1A535356630 link=1245040687/0#0 date=1245040687
    Hello all, Im seeing if my Lucy (basically a Silvia & Rock together) would be up to the task of making milk based drinks for a group of about 20-30 people at a birthday party.
    Only basing my answer on previous posts
    My answer is - NO or difficult at best
    Others that own and use a Sylvia will come in and clarify

KK

Comment

6 at once would be the most youd want to do, and youll need to allow 10 minutes at least after steaming in order to repeat. Id forget about it, silvias not suited to parties.

Comment

I have done coffee and hot chocs with a Lucy/Rocky sized single boiler for 10 and it was to slow for even that. Even with the drinks staggered and chatting to people about coffee and coffee making I wouldnt offer to do it again

Best thing to do is grab some high grade plunger roasted beans (lighter roast), use the grinder and produce the crowd great fresh plunger coffee and offer hot chocs only. The time from steam - shot - steam is to long and is what kills it.

Comment

Or do what I did once when our big machine totally broke down and we didnt have the Little Anna back then. So I took the Silvia in and used her to do the shots and heated milk in the microwave. Just another suggestion...

You could also do more than four coffees at once, especially if theyre going to be milk based. I actually think you could get away with doing up to 8 shots and then the milk. Its just the turn around time of the boiler after the steaming that will be your issue. Though it doesnt take all that long to come back down, especially if you purge a bit of water through the group head.

Comment

Originally posted by 20303C3C27320C34323F530 link=1245040687/4#4 date=1245047518
            You could also do more than four coffees at once, especially if theyre going to be milk based. I actually think you could get away with doing up to 8 shots and then the milk.
            Massively risky Scoots.....I reckon that this would hugely increase the risk of killing an element and at the very least lead to dramatically shortened element life and ultimately and $$$$....

2mcm

Comment

Hi Andrew, if you want to spend all of your time making coffee during the function go for it, its a slow process after 4 milk drinks.
              When I had my Silvia I could handle it when we only had a few people over but with a Xmas day crowd of 14 I spent the day making coffee, staming milk, recharging the boiler and waiting for her to cool down to do another lot of drinks.
              That is when I decided to go to an HX and life is so much easier now!!

Comment

Also consider the fact that a lot of people will come back for seconds. I once did about 12 milk drinks straight on my old machine($100 sunbeam em2300 single boiler) The machine probably didnt have the steaming power the silvia has but made up for that by the fact that it has a much smaller boiler so would get to temperature quicker to steam after pulling the shots. I reckon it took me about 50 minutes and i was over the idea at the end. My HX machine on the other hand did 9 milk drinks(3 hot chocolates) in about 25 minutes last night and i would have been happy to make that many more.

Justin

Comment

I found with the Silvia the best thing to do with groups was phrase the question differently: instead of who wants coffee?:whos up for an espresso?.. shell handle 10 espressos fairly easily by the time you muck around cleaning the PF, grinding etc, wont take you very long overall and everyone will be happy. those that arent will be named and shamed! no seriously those that dont drink from the plunger. best of both worlds

Comment

thats right, expressos for the coffee lovers and everyone else can have instant. hahaha

Comment

Originally posted by 2B746C7A717A767F7F7C7C747877190 link=1245040687/5#5 date=1245047732
                      Originally posted by 20303C3C27320C34323F530 link=1245040687/4#4 date=1245047518
                      You could also do more than four coffees at once, especially if theyre going to be milk based. I actually think you could get away with doing up to 8 shots and then the milk.
                      Massively risky Scoots.....I reckon that this would hugely increase the risk of killing an element and at the very least lead to dramatically shortened element life and ultimately and $$$$....

2mcm

Originally posted by 78777D6B7C6E190 link=1245040687/8#8 date=1245053417
                      .. shell handle 10 espressos fairly easily by the time you muck around cleaning the PF, grinding etc, wont take you very long overall and everyone will be happy.
                      See, I would have thought that most people wouldnt do a shot as quick as say you and I could, Chris, so the machine would have plenty of time to cool and recover, just as Andrew has suggested?

But, yes, I understand where youre coming from, Chris, its a risk that the OP will have to consider.

Another option could be to hire in a coffee cart? Much like what Dennis was doing for parties at one stage?

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone.
                        It looks like its going to be a bit of a struggle doesnt it. I have some other ideas though. I can possibly borrow 1 or 2 other Silvias from some friends. Or will this just add to the problems as there will only be one of me and trying to keep track of whats heating, whats steaming and keeping there boilers full sounds a bit hectic?
                        Maybe one for brewing and one for steaming?

The other idea is my childrens school P&C has a single group (commercial?) machine available for hire ($100). Ill find out if it is a HX machine tomorrow. Any other thoughts?

By the way the party is in a few weeks time so I have enough time to get organised and practice.

Andrew.

Comment

Sounds like the P & Cs machine could be the go, Andrew.

Id be even less inclined to just do steam from one Silvia as you really then run the risk of damaging the machine because I think youd forget how long it had been between refreshing of the boiler.

Otherwise, the plunger option is really just as good an answer too. I had to cater for a group of 30 women at a conference once and whilst I took my Silvia, I only used it for myself and my assistant. Meanwhile, I ground coffee for a couple of plungers and let the ladies loose on that! And I see that the latest Beanscene has a great article on plunger brewing too...could be handy!

Comment

I reckon hiring that machine would be the go. Definitely cheap enough. I would want to do a fair bit of practicing on it though to learn its idiosyncrasies. Also bear in mind that the machine probably doesnt get looked after too well and there could be a big possibility that all the brew temps etc are wrong. You would also want to practice with a HX machine brewing too. If you you are going from single hole to three hole or more it is going to be a lot different for you and will take you a few drinks to get used to if you arent prepared.

GL

Justin

Comment

Originally posted by 033C3A3D2027160B2630252C490 link=1245040687/13#13 date=1245113260
                              I  Also bear in mind that the machine probably doesnt get looked after too well and there could be a big possibility that all the brew temps etc are wrong.  
                              Thanks for the info. The machine has gone in for a service this week, so hopefully it will be OK.

Originally posted by 033C3A3D2027160B2630252C490 link=1245040687/13#13 date=1245113260
                              I would want to do a fair bit of practicing on it though to learn its idiosyncrasies. You would also want to practice with a HX machine brewing too. If you you are going from single hole to three hole or more it is going to be a lot different for you and will take you a few drinks to get used to if you arent prepared.
                              Good advice there as well thanks. The party is in the afternoon/evening so I can practice all morning. ;D

Andrew.

Comment

Working...
                              X