Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noob with a Silvia and K3 touch

Hi Guys

After doing alot of reading on this site regarding the type of machine and grinder, i finally made the decision to by an 08 Silvia and at the last minute, changed my mind from a Rocky to the K3.

So i have now got to learn how to pull a decent coffee. I cant seem to find anything that will tell me the art of how to do it.  My first 5 goes, i have been getting a fast pour of coffee through the silvia.  So i thought i would change my grind settings that where on about 55, to around 40. That has delivered a little more crema, but nothing like the pictures i have seen. It still looks quite watery and still appears to be quite fast out the of the silvia (not the slow process i have seen on others) and when i taste the espresso it doesnt taste nice at all.

Can anybody direct me to a guide or tell me where they think im going wrong.  I really need to nail this before the missus sees all the mess and coffee im going through.

Cheers and thanks alot

Re: Noob with a Silvia and K3 touch

Hey Huggs - go through the posted stuff in this forum. Its probably the most popular machine here. Tons of info ! Its why Im buying one...

Comment

Are you using the double basket, put the single away in a drawer and forget about it!
      Keep dialling the grinder down until you choke Silvia and then go up a notch from there and see how you go.
      Are you using good fresh beans? This is crucial with Silvia.
      Im sure you will get heaps of info to steer you on the path to great espresso
      good luck
      gm

Comment

Originally posted by 133831223C3935063535500 link=1245919696/1#1 date=1245921656
        Hey Huggs - go through the posted stuff in this forum. Its probably the most popular machine here. Tons of info ! Its why Im buying one...
        Congrats Charlie

Now you just need to learn her name. Call her Sylvia rather than Silvia and she will deliver only sink shots... ;D

Comment

Welcome Huggs.

First thing: How fresh are your beans, do they have a roast date?
          Second: Are you using the single or double basket?

Ill leave others far more clued up than me to chip in, they wont be far away.

Enjoy learning as you go the result will be fantastic

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by 52676A6D59456960606363060 link=1245919696/3#3 date=1245921760

Congrats Charlie

Now you just need to learn her name. Call her Sylvia rather than Silvia and she will deliver only sink shots...  ;D

;D ;D ;D

Sylvia/Silvia

Huggs/Charlie

:-?

Comment

Originally posted by 083D3037031F333A3A39395C0 link=1245919696/3#3 date=1245921760
              Now you just need to learn her name. Call her Sylvia rather than Silvia and she will deliver only sink shots...
              hahahaha... thats very funny.. i never realised. Thanks for pointing that out.

The beans im using...i guess are about 2 months old. I did get 2 bags of beans with my purchase, but wanted to make sure my grind settings where good first before i open the good stuff.

I started using a double, but then realised i was wasting more coffee that way, so switched over to the single.

I have just made a half decent espresso and added some steamed milk, and it did taste really good. definately beginners luck.

Looks like im going to be getting up earlier than the wife, just to make her a coffee in the morning.

Also, as part of my sale, i managed to get a few things thrown in. Can anyone explain what a blind filter does and what the Synesso Spring does.

Cheers
              Huggs

Comment

Huggs as already stated hide the single basket.

More importantly, 2 month old beans are not even good for practise because they dont behave like fresh beans and so you will have to start all over again when you use fresh beans.

A blind filter is used to backflush (clean) the group.
                I will assume one of the extras you got was a Synesso basket to go with the spring(?).

Comment

Originally posted by 4975687379786F7A72791D0 link=1245919696/7#7 date=1245931894
                  I will assume one of the extras you got was a Synesso basket to go with the spring(?).
                  Hi ThunderGod

You are right. It was part of the Synesso Basket...but i have no idea what it does?

I will remove the old beans and try with the fresh ones tomorrow.

Have also been watching youtube videos of the Sylvia. What a great resource.

Cheers
                  Huggs

Comment

Originally posted by 42697368725E49746666647575010 link=1245919696/8#8 date=1245932134
                    You are right. It was part of the Synesso Basket...but i have no idea what it does?
                    You need the spring to use the Synesso basket... so take out the old thinner spring and replace it and start using the Synesso basket, hide both the original baskets that came with the machine hehe.....   Did you get Mr. Pullman Tamper as well?  cant go wrong with that :P

Comment

Originally posted by 6A564B505A5B4C59515A3E0 link=1245919696/7#7 date=1245931894
                      More importantly, 2 month old beans are not even good for practise because they dont behave like fresh beans and so you will have to start all over again when you use fresh beans.
                      This morning i used brand new beans and made a fantastic coffee. Thanks for the tip.

Originally posted by 5F4B4D4D575B5C4B59595F5F3E0 link=1245919696/9#9 date=1245943417
                      so take out the old thinner spring and replace it and start using the Synesso basket, hide both the original baskets that came with the machine hehe
                      Ahhhhhhhh.. I wondered how my basket would stay in. It was constantly falling out. Its in good and proper now. Thanks.

I didnt get a pullman, but instead bought a proper silver one that fits the synesso basket perfectly.

Question. I have been advised by board members here, to stick with the double basket. If a guest doesnt like a strong coffee, what should i do? Use the single basket that came with the machine or turn off the sylvia earlier than 27 secs?

Thanks alot
                      H.

Comment

Originally posted by 705B415A406C7B465454564747330 link=1245919696/10#10 date=1245991219
                        Question. I have been advised by board members here, to stick with the double basket. If a guest doesnt like a strong coffee, what should i do? Use the single basket that came with the machine or turn off the sylvia earlier than 27 secs?

Thanks alot
                        H.
                        Make 2 cups as usual and for the spare cup
                        1) drink it or offer it to someone
                        2) pour it down the sink

KK

Comment

Originally posted by 587C757576764C587C607E7C130 link=1245919696/11#11 date=1245993860
                          Make 2 cups as usual and for the spare cup
                          1) drink it or offer it to someone
                          2) pour it down the sink
                          And, if you drink milk based coffee...
                          3) Use a double ristretto base for a richer flavour; or
                          4) Continue as normal but take a sip of the spare espresso for QC. Without milk, it will more accurately reflect the quality of your extraction

Comment

Originally posted by 23081209133F28150707051414600 link=1245919696/10#10 date=1245991219
                            I didnt get a pullman, but instead bought a proper silver one that fits the synesso basket perfectly.
                            lol, sorry, im pretty sure the pullman is the "proper" one, ha ha, sorry mate no hard feelings just jokes, a pullman tamper around these parts is pretty much an extension of a coffeesnobs hand!

Its all about enjoying what ya do, and the process involved, and it sounds like you having a ball!, well done mate

Comment

Originally posted by 55606D6A5E426E67676464010 link=1245919696/3#3 date=1245921760
                              Now you just need to learn her name. Call her Sylvia rather than Silvia and she will deliver only sink shots
                              Actually her name is Silvia NOT Sylvia 8-)

Comment

Working...
                              X