Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Step by Step Guide - Install PID in a Silvia.

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mentasm
    replied
    I did the auber pid install about 2 weeks ago. Took me an hour. Kit is great quality and instruction were good and easy to follow. Couple screwdrivers is all that was required.

Must admit my consistency is waaaaay up now I have the pid in.

Leave a comment:

• PDP11
    replied
    As way of an introduction some background information on electrical circuits:

Electrical Theory by Joseph Lucas

Positive ground depends upon proper circuit functioning, the transmission of negative ions by retention of the visible spectral manifestation known as "smoke". Smoke is the thing that makes electrical circuits work; we know this to be true because every time one lets the smoke out of the electrical system, it stops working. This can be verified repeatedly through empirical testing. When, for example, the smoke escapes from an electrical component (i.e., say, a Lucas voltage regulator), it will be observed that the component stops working. The function of the wire harness is to carry the smoke from one device to another; when the wire harness "springs a leak", and lets all the smoke out of the system, nothing works afterwards. Starter motors were frowned upon in British Automobiles for some time, largely because they consume large quantities of smoke, requiring very large wires.

It has been noted that Lucas components are possibly more prone to electrical leakage than Bosch or generic Japanese electrics. Experts point out that this is because Lucas is British and all things British leak. British engines leak oil, shock absorbers, hydraulic forks and disk brakes leak fluid, British tyres leak air and the British defense establishment leaks secrets...so, naturally, British electrics leak smoke.
    [Contributed by John E, , Long Beach, CA]

After many years of reliable service I found Silvia and all the kitchen's power points were dead. The circuit breaker in the meter box had been tripped. Resetting the circuit breaker restored power and that is when I discovered Silvia's PID had died. When I removed the lid of the box holding the PID it was obvious from the smell that the smoke had escaped from PID electrical components. A 1 squre centimeter of the PID's plastic case was melted and distorted. Inspection of the PID circuit boards showed vaporised tracks, components damaged by heat and burns on the circuit board. The temperature appeared to have been hot enough to melt solder on the board as one component had become desoldered.

Suggestion:
    It maybe appropriate to add a 500mA or 1A fuse in the 230V power lead to the PID.

Leave a comment:

• ogip
    replied
    Hi,

Is there a cs proffered or most recommended PID kit? I've recently bought the ranchilio but do foresee upgrading to PID one warrantee is over.

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• shawn_low
    replied
    Re: Step by Step Guide - Install PID in a Silvia.

I installed an Auber PID kit on my Sylvia years ago (Silvia long gone to a forum member).

I took photos and documented the process. Check it out here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shawnlow/sets/72157604103927428/

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

heres the new link:
    to PID a Silvia.pdf

Mods please move the link to the first post in this thread and if you want delete all my garbage posts.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Thanks for Chonski for sending me the file and going throught the trouble of splitting it up to be gmail compatible. Also a big thanks to Wsully for creating such a great guide. The new link is 4-5 posts down as I need to meet a 5 post limit to post a link...

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Chonski PM sent.

Leave a comment:

• WSullivan
    replied

This is what you see when you go to megaupload.com now......

Leave a comment:

• WSullivan
    replied

Sorry guys, i no longer have a copy of the guide, if someone does please upload it to one of the many file hosting sites and share the link, could a mod please edit the link in the OP once it is shared?

Sorry.....

The silvia is looooong gone

Leave a comment:

• Javaphile
    replied

Originally posted by 2A2126273A2220490 link=1246334170/33#33 date=1328007822
    Can 40mb files be attached? I tried but it does say the max size is 5000kb...
    Ah, I didnt realize it was that big. It is indeed to beg to post here.

Java " " phile

Leave a comment:

• chonski
    replied

Can 40mb files be attached? I tried but it does say the max size is 5000kb...

Leave a comment:

• Javaphile
    replied

Why not post it here?

Java "Attach at will!" phile

Leave a comment:

• chonski
    replied

Originally posted by 577C7241677C747B727970150 link=1246334170/30#30 date=1327301957
    Megaupload is no more, can the PID guide be uploaded to some other service please?

Im looking for a replacement service too.

Ive got a copy I could email - will PM you

Leave a comment:

• BigTriangle
    replied

Megaupload is no more, can the PID guide be uploaded to some other service please?

Im looking for a replacement service too.

Leave a comment:

• emckissock
    replied

Could give you auber parts, or sestos, but not Watlow. As KJM says, pretty much any PID will do.  Dual set point might be nice, but not critical.

Edit:
    PID must be able to drive an SSR, internal relay wont cope.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X