Backflush Miss Silvia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backflush Miss Silvia?

Ive been reading around and it seems the manufacturer recommends to NOT backflush Miss Silvia.

Though my coffee flavor hasnt changed, I have had a problem with the pull taking longer and longer.  Were looking at a full 3 minutes for a pull, sometimes longer.

I seem to still have good pressure when I froth my milk or run steam through my drip head to clean it out after a pull.

So now Im kind of unsure of what to do.  The head looks clean.  Ive even taken it apart and cleaned it to try to solve my flow problem, but its no better.

Im not even sure what to get to clean it.  Done some key word searches on the forum, but Im either using the wrong key words or theres nothing really on the subject.

Thanks all!

Re: Backflush Miss Silvia?

Hi Kel,

Have a crack at the search button. There are quite a few threads. e.g:
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1223464172/0#0
    http://coffeesnobs.com.au/YaBB.pl?num=1218430819/1#1

cheers...

2mcm

Comment

Thx mate, I was just not getting it. I very much appreciate it

Comment

Is my slow pull a symptom of a gunked up machine then? Im just concerned it may be another problem, though I dont see what it could be since my pressure is pretty decent.

Comment

what do u mean Slow? you need to go into detail if anyone can help.

machine im guessing is your silvia.
          how fine is your grind? tamping pressure?
          how long is it taking to pull 30mls?

i have asked sellers of silvias is it ok to back flush and they told me you would be crazy not to.

Comment

Yeah backwash for sure!! Need to buy a Blind Filter and also some Expresso cleaner. Place a 1/4 teaspoon in blind filter lock it in PF and switch it on fir 8 second then wiggle PF around and rinse off. Run a container of water through and a couple bedding shots to prepare it. Now enjoy.
            Enjoy it

Comment

Thanks folks. I know a lot of this information is here already.

Slow is 30mls taking about 3 minutes. Rather a ridiculous rate Ive used various pressures, from a fine tap, to a firm tamp. Ive used a variety of grinds, from 3 to 4.

Im also going to break down and get my own burr grinder. Tired of hoping that fellow behind the counter gets my grind right.

Comment

Slow is 30mls taking about 3 minutes
                That sounds like a long time if the problem is to fine a grind, maybe its just the grind I dont know, you could check the water debit as described Here bits of swarf left over from manufacture have been known to remain in the brew path, also a brew pressure check if you can get your hands on a gauge.
                I seem to still have good pressure when I froth my milk or run steam through my drip head to clean it out after a pull
                Steam pressure is not relevant.

Comment

i would be checking if the water is coming out fast enough with out your gh in. if that takes for ever than you have a problem

Comment

Sounds like u have some significant issues. what water do u put into ur machine: Have u tried descaling it. Calcium build up can clog machines up real good.
                    As Azz suggested try runnig whater through ur machine without ur pf in and se how much comes through.

Comment

Originally posted by 604E4759425151442B0 link=1246581181/6#6 date=1246638320
                      Slow is 30mls taking about 3 minutes.Rather a ridiculous rate Smiley Ive used various pressures, from a fine tap, to a firm tamp.Ive used a variety of grinds, from 3 to 4.

Im also going to break down and get my own burr grinder.Tired of hoping that fellow behind the counter gets my grind right.  
                      I think the man behind the counter is your problem. Sounds to me like the grind is way too fine

Numbers like 3 or 4 are meaningless.  Get yourself a decent burr grinder then you will be in control  

Comment

the only reason i didnt mention grind is because i thought the grinder you would have may not get fine enough to block up a silvia.

have you solved your problem?

Comment

I like Coffee Snob Azz s idea - before anything else - check and see if water is coming out of the group head. Sort of like checking if theres petrol in the tank.... Regards.

Comment

Havent gotten the cleansing products yet. Ill keep the post updated Should have them tommorrow.

Water coming out of the group head seems fine, I only have issues when I have some bean in the filter.

I was trying to hold off dropping $300 on the burr grinder, but I may have to bite the bullet.

Comment

As others have mentioned....it sounds very much like your grind is too fine and the machine is choking. You can try reducing the dosage but really you need a good grinder so you can adjust the grind yourself.

Comment

Working...
                              X